Canadian (Ottawa) Mattress Help

Looking to replace our current mattress. Which is a shame as we went and bought a new one 3 years again from a local (Ottawa, ON) manufacturer (Lapensee), but after about a 2 years decided the mattress just wasn’t for us. We sent for a higher end microcoil because of my size in a semi firm, which is retrospect was a mistake.

https://www.matelaslapensee.ca/product/comfort-luxury-mattress/ - plain mattress no extra latex or memory foam layer, and used a 6" foundation from them (to keep the overall height managable, initially had a 12" foundation and it made the bed too high).

Stats:

Me - 6’2" - 320lbs. Side or stomach sleeper. Pressure sensitive, and herniated disc (so lower back pain.)

Wife - 5’2" - 140lbs. Back sleeper. Hot sleeper (due to hot flashes). Scent sensitive (off-gassing), and hates a “slippery” mattress and sliding/bunching sheets.

Initially our mattress seemed fine, but the big issues with it were that it was too soft and I started waking with a sore back. Not exclusively but often enough. I really had to have my pillow just right. If it was just a bit firmer in the core, but still a softer top layer due to pressure sensitivity I would probably be OK. It was otherwise very comfortable.

The other big problem was it was just too thick at 16" inches or somehting like that. And the outer cover material was a synthetic material made from recycled pop bottles that while cool was slippery… Combined with the thickness made fitted sheet bunch and that drove my wife crazy. We did use the wool St Domir mattress protector, and it helps but it was also poorly fitting on the thicker mattress and cause a “lumpy” mattress acording to my wife.

Hi buddyrich33.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear your last two mattresses haven’t quite been the right fit. Overall, sounds like it was too much material and too soft (and then maybe too firm?). Is your current bed the one giving you back troubles?

At your height and size, I can see why the need for a little extra material is appealing since you’re, by nature, going to sink much more deeply into that top comfort layer. I think 16" of material is probably overkill though. That’s just personal opinion.

Have you already read our article on sleeping positions yet? It sounds like you and your wife may benefit from a split king set up.

Are you looking for another microcoil/pocket coil situation, or are you open to other kinds of beds?

Based on your sensitivities/hot sleeping/and the sensitivity to off gassing, a latex hybrid may be a good option.

Looking forward to your reply!
NikkiTMU

Hi Buddy and welcome,

We do not sell in Canada, but I would encourage you to look up Obasan, as they are in Ottawa. They create customizable, all-organic mattresses that are super comfortable.

Thanks. My sister-in-law and her husband have had an Obasan for about 8 years now and swear by it.

If we just didn’t spend a fortune on our new mattress that is relegated to guest bedroom duties I would definitely consider them, but they are too pricey for what we are looking for.

I understand - the Obasan is quite luxurious. Have you looked at their Auberge? It is the same pure materials, but not as much customizability, so a lower price. I think you can get it with or without a topper, so there is a little bit of customizability there. The price point is less than their regular line, but still a quality product - and comfortable.
Best of luck to you,
Katie

Looking for a Queen as its all we have room for… I’d be open to latex hybrid or full latex… TheCleanBedroom mention Obasan, who are local her in Ottawa… Their Auberge just fits the budget but I wonder if it will have the durability for a bigger guy, its 5" inch of “firm” and 3" of “medium” latex… They do not mention the ILD of those. plus 2" of a wool toplayer.

Another option that seems to be in and around the same price are the offerings of MFC, which ship across Canada and are a member her on the forum. The Unison is their full latex or their latex hybrid cumuls… if either of them are better or worse than the Auberge given our sleeping positions/sizes.

Good morning buddyrich33

Thank you for your interest in our organic dunlop latex mattresses. Let’s compare the Obasan Auberge with our Unison

Auberge
A total of 8 inches of pressure relieving GOLS certified organic latex for a soothing sleep experience (3" medium, 5" firm)
Includes a 2” Organic Topper constructed from GOLS certified organic latex and organic wool, for a cloud like sleep experience.
The wool casing is naturally temperature regulating to keep you warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s warm.
100% GOTS and GOLS certified organic materials
Universal construction, suitable for all ages and build.
Handcrafted by our tailors and sleep experts in our carbon neutral workshop in Ottawa, Canada.
Sustainable materials and building practices for the health of people and planet.

Price $2399 + taxes and shipping

MFC Unison
A total of 10 inches of pressure relieving GOLS certified organic latex for a soothing sleep experience (2" medium, 2" soft, 6" firm)
Organic cotton cover quilted with Joma wool is naturally temperature and humidity regulating to keep you warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s warm.
100% GOTS and GOLS certified organic materials
Customizable construction, so that you can rearrange or exchange some layers to suit your sleeping preferences.
Handcrafted in Delta B.C. Canada.
Sustainable materials and building practices for the health of people and planet.

Price $2447 taxes and shipping included + 2 free latex pillows

As you can see the Unison is comparable to the Auberge and has the advantage of being customizable for even more comfort options.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision and please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

All the best!

2 Likes

Thank you @MFC - that is an excellent summary.

I would add that with the Auberge, you can, of course, use it with the 2" topper for a 10" mattress(including the topper) or without the topper for a 8" mattress.
Thank you,
Katie

1 Like