can't decide on a mattress to choose

I live near Spokane WA and have been doing a lot of reading on here. I noticed you mentioned Twilight mattress factory as a place to check out as a small business instead of going with huge brand names. I went there and loved the showroom, very friendly, answered questions etc. I was going to buy a Temperpedic but love several of their mattresses. they have a “similar to Tem bed” called Freedom with bamboo top and 6.5 " poly soy natural bottom. it was too firm but ws told it could be made softer with a softer core. The poly soy I thought was a inferior product. Is this correct? also I liked the Mirage Latex with wool top but thought they said it was all softer laytex. Talalay ?? not spelled right sorry. I thought I read this would break down faster as a base of Dunlop, recommended. Whats is your opinion here. Also liked Refletions with springs foam etc.

Hi cwalters,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

So called “soy foams” or other “plant based foams” are just polyfoam that has replaces a small percentage of one of the chemicals used to make foam (the polyol) with a plant based derivitive. You can read more about them in post #2 here. I would consider these to be closely comparable to regular polyfoam and would compare them based on their density and of course on how they feel and perform in terms of PPP.

Any type of foam can be made in softer or firmer versions.

All latex is a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam although softer versions of any material will be less durable than firmer versions (you can read more about the factors involved in durability in post #4 here and the other posts it links to). The “weak link” of a mattress is generally in the comfort layers and not the deeper layers of a mattress.

I would consider the choice between Dunlop and Talalay as a preference choice and not a “better worse” choice. Some people prefer one and some the other and both are very comparable in terms of durability. Both have a long history of use in mattresses that have lasted for decades. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop and Talalay compare in terms of “feel” in post #7 here but your own personal testing and experience is the most reliable way to know which one you prefer.

Phoenix

Thank you for your help. I have read a lot on here and will go back and read more of the suggested posts. What do you know about the Reflection 2 sided mattress at Twilight. It seems very comfortable and I think in the hybrid category.

Hi cwalters,

I don’t see any details about the Reflection two sided mattress on their site but if you provide the specifics of the layers and components I’d be happy to make some comments about it.

Phoenix

Thank you. The reflection stats are: stretch knit panel cover with airflow technology, panel quilted to 1 inch + 1/2 inch2.00 memory foam; 593 15 gage pocketed coil spring. D-75 foam encasement; 2 inch ov1.25 convoluted foam; 2 sided construction;

Hi cwalters,

I’m not clear on the specs you listed.

Listing the layers from top to bottom (which is generally the best approach) it seems like may be …

1" memory foam: 2 lb density? (this would be very low density)
1/2" memory foam: also 2 lb density? (same comments)
2" convoluted 1.25 lb density polyfoam? (this would also be very low density)
593 15 gauge pocket coil: I would use your testing to make sure this provided you with good support because the innerspring isn’t generally the weak link of a mattress.
D-75 foam encasement: I would want to know the type and density of the encasement. D-75 is often used for latex (75 kg/m3) but I doubt this is what it is. If this is kg/m3 then it would be about 4.7 lbs density which wouldn’t make sense for polyfoam … only for latex or memory foam (which wouldn’t be used as a foam encasement).

Could you confirm these are correct (I suspect they aren’t)?

I would also ask about the thickness of the innerspring so that if you add up all the layers that they are close to the thickness of the mattress (taking into account that the quilting and foam layers above the innerspring would be on both sides of the mattress) to make sure nothing is missing.

A two sided construction is more durable than a 1 sided mattress but I would want to confirm the type of materials and their density (in the case of polyfoam or memory foam) of the type and blend of any latex.

Phoenix

Thanks, I took a picture of the label they had on the bed that had the info I posted. it sounds like this might not be my best choice. It sure was comfortable but might not last long.

Okay so I’m looking at a mattresses from a local shop. It is manufactured by golden (out of georgia). It has a soy foam (or something like that) base with 4" of 4lb slow recovery memory foam. Sound legit?

http://www.goldenmattressinc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=90

Hi cwalters,

There’s really no way to know this unless you know the details of the mattress. I don’t think the specs I mentioned are correct (the specs you mentioned may not have been density numbers at all) so I would ask the manufacturer for the details you need. What you need is the type and thickness of the layers and components from top to bottom along with the density of any polyfoam or memory foam and the type and blend of any latex in the mattress.

Once you have them, if you post them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about them.

Phoenix

sorry wrong thread

Hi bgatewood,

I switched your post to this thread :slight_smile:

Golden makes some good quality/value mattresses but like any mattress purchase I would want to know the density of all the foam layers.

4" of 4 lb memory foam is a medium quality/density material that would work well for many people of average body types although if you are in a heavier weight range (and your budget allows it) I would tend to minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam and lean towards 5 lbs or higher.

I would also want to know the density of the polyfoam base layer (soy foam is just a type of polyfoam).

If you have tested the mattress and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are not in a heavier weight range (about 200 lbs or so or higher) and the polyfoam base layer is a suitable density (I would generally use 1.8 lbs or higher as a guideline or 1.5 lbs in lower budget ranges with “average” or lower weights) then I would certainly consider it as a reasonable option.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=30072]Hi bgatewood,

I switched your post to this thread :slight_smile:

Golden makes some good quality/value mattresses but like any mattress purchase I would want to know the density of all the foam layers.

4" of 4 lb memory foam is a medium quality/density material that would work well for many people of average body types although if you are in a heavier weight range (and your budget allows it) I would tend to minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam and lean towards 5 lbs or higher.

I would also want to know the density of the polyfoam base layer (soy foam is just a type of polyfoam).

If you have tested the mattress and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are not in a heavier weight range (about 200 lbs or so or higher) and the polyfoam base layer is a suitable density (I would generally use 1.8 lbs or higher as a guideline or 1.5 lbs in lower budget ranges with “average” or lower weights) then I would certainly consider it as a reasonable option.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks

I ended up going with the one linked below. I am only 170lbs and it is a good bit more stiff but I figure if it is too hard I can always make it softer. Can’t make a soft matress more firm. I think he said the core foam was 2lbs, the memory being 4lbs.

http://www.goldenmattressinc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=93

Hi bgatewood,

The Bioflex in Golden support cores is typically 2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality material so I would think this was accurate.

Based on this it seems to me that there are no obvious weak links in your mattress and if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (especially after the initial break in period) and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would be a good choice IMO.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks!

Glad I found this website I was SO close to buying that sealy mattress at sears… got this for about 20 bucks cheaper (750 which I think is a steal).

Hi bgatewood,

I’m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix