Can't figure out how to stomach sleep easy on a sleepEZ mattress

So the first night of sleeping on talalay firm on top, talalay medium in middle and Dunlop firm on bottom felt alittle better than previous medium on top. However still woke with lower back aches (which is a great natural alarm clock). Standing up the pain went away considerably. The 2nd night (last night) I tried to experiment putting a beach towel folded up 3 times (about a half inch thick) under my pelvis to see if that would help but it didn’t and made me hurt alittle more than the previous night. I’m at the point where I would hire someone to X-ray my spine and me in bed to disgnose what’s going on. It even hurts to lay on my back in the morning after I’ve woken up. Cause how can I be struggling to sleep on a technologically superior matress compared to my old sealy beachside.

One of the things thou the sealy did have was that it was not flat. It had a firmer buttoned pillow top on it of crappy foam. I’m wondering if that foam though somehow provided better posture alignment allowing me to sink into the matress rather than lay on top of it.

I’d rather lay on top of a matress cause it’s cooler but maybe my spine is naturally curved in a way that doesn’t allow that. Or maybe I need to sleep on a matress in pain to get my spine to realign straight for a couple months?

I’m willing to spend more money to replace layers and such or get a different matress. I just want to get to a point where I can get a good nights sleep without pain in the morning. I’m not sure where to go or who to talk to. I’ll try again tonight to sleep without the towel under me.

Hi Csj0952,

The slightly firmer upper layer was an improvement, but you’re still not there, so if this configuration doesn’t work out the next logical configuration I’d suggest with what you have would be the Ft, XFt, Mt. It is true that you may not have an affinity for the point elasticity that latex, specifically Talalay, offers as compared to your old more traditional mattress using springs and polyfoam. And you are also correct that there is some “learned alignment” that you may need to overcome as you adjust to a new mattress. But that shouldn’t take months. :wink:

Phoenix

Tried Firm, Xfirm, medium last night, it was better. Hoping tonight will be better yet. Keep in mind Sealy beachside matress was 9 inches of dunlop latex plus 2 in of polyfoam on top I believe. I haven’t been on springs since i was a kid but I’m thinking that may be my next direction as it’s the only thing left i can try out in person at a store.

I’m guessing I could do a foam replacement of the medium talay for a firm or even extra firm talaly and let that be my upper layer when it arrives.

Hi Csj0952,

That’s good news. I know it is only one night, but you’re moving more in the direction we talked about back in May to a firmer upper comfort layer for stomach sleeping.

Your old mattress used 3" of low density polyfoam on top of a synthetic Dunlop core (which unfortunately didn’t have a great track history). I posted those specifications in one of my replies to you back in May if you’d like to see them again. I got confused for a second when I replied to you yesterday and thought I read “BackSaver” instead of “Beachside” in your post. The BackSaver was an innerspring line. My bad. :S

That certainly could be an option, but as I mentioned previously I don’t know that it would specifically be the solution, You’d need to make sure that whatever material you’re using on top would be firmer, and perhaps less point elastic.

Yes, you could try a Firm/Firm/Extra Firm (or rearrange to Firm/Extra Firm/Firm), or even a Firm/Extra Firm/Extra Firm.

Phoenix

So some more interesting info here. I replaced the 2inch medium layer with a 2 inch half xtra firm and half firm. Both seem to not really do much in terms of alleviating my back pain when waking up in the morning. I’m sleeping on Xtra firm dunlop on the bottom layer and firm talalay in the middle with the upper layers being the 2inch split firm or xtra firm.

The advantage now of being in back pain all the time is that i think i can better test out matresses to see what seems to support my back to feel more comfortable versus if I lay on the matress for 5 min I can feel the back pain get alittle worse. Interestingly the matress which felt the best to me but not “perfect” in alleviating my back pain was the beautyrest black desiree luxury firm. The calista felt too firm. I tried the desiree plush at a differnt store as well and it felt decent as well. Its hard for me to assess what was better since they were in two different stores.

I also tried the pure talaly bliss in pamper which is a firm model and after 5 minutes my back pain started to kick in. I am confused as to what is going on here since I’m a stomach sleeper and would expect firm latex to be ideal. The pure talalay bliss feels more firm and supportive than my sleep ez even. I don’t get it.

I also didn’t mind the Sterns and Foster La Castello II Plush.

I’m wondering though if there is something that feels similar to what I liked that i can order online and get a really good return policy on for a cheaper price than $1900 for that beautyrest which seems like a ripoff.

Should I look at a spring / latex hybrid matress? If so who’s the best companies to look at and which model would be best to emulate the Beautyrest Desiree?

Hi Csj0952,

I’m sorry you’re still having issues with your low back. It very well be that you don’t prefer the point elasticity of latex when sleeping on your stomach.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I wouldn’t know that this is the answer for your or not – no one can predict that via an online forum. Only you would be able to tell via your own personal testing. But it may be that you want something less point elastic for your comfort materials, so perhaps looking at something using high-density polyfoam in the comfort layers that are firmer would be a thought.

If you’re considering doing this, then you should reacquaint yourself with the better quality and types of materials to look for when you go out shopping, as outlined here. I would avoid products using lower density polyfoams, as these will soften considerably in a shorter period of time and allow your back to sway in too much, which you’ve complained about. But you’ve also complained about a product with a harder surface comfort as well. Unfortunately, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

As for trying to “match” a certain product, there is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Overall, and especially in your situation, the only reliable way to know for certain if a product might work well for you and match up with your own PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience.

Phoenix

Appreciate your response Phoenix. I’ve done tons of reading on your site so I understand that I need to match my PPP. Here is the problem I live in Upstate NY (Rochester) . I went to the stores you recommend in your post on the area. I am limited here to big box corporate labels like serta, sealy, sterns, and simmons. There is also Pure Talalay bliss. I took a chance on sleep ez cause i really liked the customization and customer service being able to trial and error the mattress several times. I thought i was going to get a quality mattress online that might not be perfect on the first try but I could send back layers and get to that perfect point. That didn’t happen unfortunately. So options going forward are:

1. Go to crummy mattress stores locally and get a big box mattress like the Simmons one with lower quality components inside of it but something which I’m able to test and get pretty good idea of what I’ll be able to sleep on based on my PPP live in house test. Live with the overpriced crummy mattress for 5 years and buy a new one but at least I’ll sleep decent for 5 years.

2. Try another online shop which I won’t be able to test out for PPP and just have to guess if I’ll feel good or not on it. Is there a spring mattress store online with the same customer service quality that I can get out of a sleep ez and allowing me to customize the mattress after it arrives to my house based on my live PPP testing.

Am I missing any other options? I don’t think there’s a 3rd option for me to test out a “good quality” mattress locally for PPP unfortunately.

Hi Csj0952,

Have you visited Jamestown Mattress? They are in your area, and while they are not a site member here, they do have the ability to customize mattresses and they offer products using higher density foams than the other bands you mention.

Phoenix

Yea, I had high hopes for them. The customer service I received was quite unusually poor. I’ll go back and maybe get a difference experience.

Hi Csj0952,

They do offer different locations, so I don’t know if one if better than another in assisting with custom configurations. That was just one place that came to mind in your area.

Phoenix

Went back to Jamestown mattress, had a better experience this time. The mattress feel wasn’t as good as the Beautyrest black from what I can remember but I tested the two at least a few days apart so I need to test out both on the same day I think.

My question now is that the Jamestown matress uses: Symetrics® 660 Offset Technology for innerspring where as the Beautyrest I believe is pocket coil which from your site appears to be superior to the offset in the jamestown one. Now I know you’ll tell me that the Beautyrest Black has crummy low density polyfil in it compared to the Jamestown one but I’m wondering what you know about the innerspring design in the jamestown mattress and if that could be a weak link down the road?

There’s one other place I haven’t tried yet in Rochester called sleep city who carries Dr. Green and America’s mattress. I’ve never heard of these and wondering if they are on par with Sealy and Serta as far as big box brands.

Also wondering about Ruby Gordon who has some kind of “bed match” system which gives you a print out of what kind of mattress your body needs. I’m not sure if this is a gimmick or if I should bother with it. They have Serta, Simmons, Restonic, and Kingsdown which all seem like big box type brands.

Lastly, wondering if there is anything in Buffalo, Syracuse, Toronto, New York City or anything in a 3-4 hour drive worth trying…

Hi Csj0952,

There is some more information about some of the basic differences in innerspring units in this article. I’m not sure where you’ve read that the mashall spring unit is superior to the Lura-Flex Symetrics used in the Jamestown mattress, as they can both be good quality and durable products, each with their own unique characteristics (as outlined in the article I linked to earlier in this paragraph).

No, the LFK spring unit in the Jamestown is not low quality, and the innerspring unit in a mattress is rarely the “weak link” to begin with. Regarding foam quality, yes, the Beautyrest line tends to use less dense foams (look at Jordans web site should you need some details), but I wouldn’t know the quality of the foams in the mattress you looked at from Jamestown as you didn’t provide that information, so I can’t comment upon that. I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

A mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the layers inside it and in the case of the Dr. Greene mattress of Serta and most major manufacturers they don’t disclose the quality of the materials and I would avoid any mattress (even for testing) where there is no way to know the quality of what you are considering. No matter how it feels in a showroom … low quality materials (especially in the upper layers) will soften and break down more rapidly and the loss of comfort and support that goes along with this can happen quite quickly (a few months to a few years) and isn’t covered by a warranty … even if you can no longer sleep on the mattress.

Most of the pressure mapping systems are specific to a certain line of mattress and aren’t really relevant to mattresses as a whole which have different constructions. They also only measure surface pressure (which you can often feel in your own personal testing) but don’t provide input into alignment or how the pressure is distributed in the deeper body tissues or include the differences in physiology between people (pressure affects different people differently). There are a few more comments in post #2 here and post #4 here about pressure mapping systems.

They can be a useful tool for stores that have them available and where the results can translate into the specific mattress you are most interested in but they wouldn’t be the primary way I would make a purchase decision or be that useful if the mattress you are buying is different from the one you tested and the testing results can’t be easily “translated” into a mattress with a different design.

In New York City, site members Dixie Foam Beds, Nest Bedding and Scott Jordan Furniture may be worth your consideration. Dormio Organic beds are located in Toronto if you are considering latex again. Those would be the site members listed for the areas you mentioned.

Aside from those businesses, I have discontinued the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict vetting and qualification process that is part of becoming an approved member of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members here of The Mattress Underground.

You can perform a forum search on the areas you mentioned and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region on the forum which may be helpful to you.

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here.

If you have any questions about specifications or certain products you discover, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix

To answer your question, the mattress from Jamestown is here: http://jamestownmattress.com/firm-two-sided-dynasty-super-mattress/

Quilt – Top of Mattress

Paladin® Fire Retardant Barrier

½" Plush Polyurethane Foam

1" Firm Polyurethane Foam

Stretch Circular Knit Fabric

Comfort – Padding Layer

Thick Polyester Pad

1" Firm Polyurethane Foam

Back Support System

Coil Unit: Symetrics® 660 Offset Technology

Coil Gauge: 14 ½

Metal Edge: Support on Sides

Limits Motion Transfer

Coil Count:

Twin: 462
Full: 660
Queen: 805
King: 1015

Based on that info, i searched for more info and found this which is based on latex mattress from the same place, I gotta think they use the same foam toppers though in a spring mattress…

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/feedback-requested-jamestown-mattress-polyfoam-thoughts-towards-online-purchase

It appears as though they use somewhat decent foam at 1.5lb to 1.7 from the above thread. My last concern is breathability here and sleeping cool. Is polyfoam cool to sleep on? I’m assuming air spring mattress should be cooler than latex foam which I like but I’m wondering how that polyfoam is going to sleep.

Hi Csj0952,

Thanks for providing the information on the mattress you are considering. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t rely on the types of foams that are used in other mattresses within their lineup to determine the density of the materials that might be used in the mattress you listed. I would be sure to confirm those densities with Jamestown before making any final decisions.

As for breathability, polyfoam can be quite breathable (generally not quite as much as latex), but as you are considering an innerspring product, you do have a rather large “hollow” are in the center of the mattress to assist with air circulation. Additionally, you’re considering something that is a bit firmer, and as all foams insulate to a degree, you wouldn’t tend to sleep “in” a product like this as much as a softer mattress, so you wouldn’t tend to be “insulated” as much, which can assist with cooler sleeping.

Phoenix

So went to Jamestown mattress today again. Laid on the Plush and the Firm. Didn’t fall in love with either really. I liked the Firm better but I’m scared it just feels that way now but it will be too firm come morning. I don’t know why, it’s the firmest mattress they make so I’m not sure it’s too forgiving. Might consider driving an hour and a half to http://sleepmastermattress.net/ in syracuse per your recommendation but their website is junk and doesn’t even say what they sell as far as spring mattresses go.

My BMI again is 25. Stomach sleeper. I’m on sleep ez Firm talalay 2 inch top, and 2 dunlop 3 inches at extra firm. Looking up the numbers on your site, firm = 39 ILD, and extra firm = 44 ILD in sleep ez. I emailed the guy from Jamestown mattress about the dynasty lineup and he said the following.

Dynasty Firm:
Foam in the quilted panel:
1/2" - 1.8 lb. density - 20 ILD
1" - 1.8 lb. density - 34 ILD
Comfort Layer:
1" - 1.8 lb. density - 35 ILD

Dynasty Plush:
Foam in the quilted panel:
1 1/2" - 1.8 lb. - 20 ILD
Comfort Layer:
1" - 1.8 lb. density - 35 ILD
3/4" - 1.5 lb. density - 33 ILD

So in theory, the firm poly in the comfort layer of the dynasty spring mattress is lower ILD than the Latex Firm talalay i’m sleeping on now…

Can ILD of 35 in a poly feel firmer than a 39 in talalay?

I’m just trying to figure out plush vs firm. Firm felt better but still worried.

Typically how long should I lay on a mattress before my muscles typically can relax into it or do you recommend any other things to attempt to notice when testing a mattress?

Also remember I’m coming from a mattress I laid on for 7 years:
Sealy Beachside

Quilt - Top of Mattress
1 ounce Flame Guard Fiber
1 1/2 x 1/2" Convoluted SuperSoft SealyFoam
1/2" SuperSoft SealyFoam

Comfort Layers
1" SuperSoft SealyFoam (unknown ILD)

SpringFree Core
8.9" Luxury Latex (unknown ILD)

Update: last night i slept on my Sleep ez and for the first time I was starting to get tingling in the shoulder area suggesting it’s probably too hard. This leans me to plush, but I guess I’m going to drive 1.5 hr to syracuse now to see what they have.

Hi Csj0952,

Many mattress manufactures are much better at making mattresses than they are at marketing, but I wouldn’t agree with you that their web site is “junk”. They provide general descriptions of the various lines they produce, but being a manufacturer there are hundreds of options they could produce, so it would be impossible for them to list all of their possible mattress permutations. As you are a distance away, a phone call certainly would be in order before making a trip.

Sleepmaster is a local factory direct manufacturer in Syracuse and Cicero, NY. They manufacture their own line as well as WJ Southard and Bemco mattresses. They make a wide range of all types of mattresses in a wide range of budgets from innersprings to memory foam to latex and use better materials and have better value than the larger manufacturers that are so common in the mainstream industry. Post #9 here will give you an idea of the type of experience you can expect there. I think highly of them and there are some good quality choices available here.

SleepEZ rates their firm Dunlop and Talalay at 37-40 ILD, and their Extra Firm at 44.

Nothing can replace your own testing and the comfort that you feel, as all of the layers of a mattress work together.

Polyfoam ILD (or IFD which is more commonly used in polyfoam) is measured differently than ILD in latex. Both use ILD/IFD at 25% compression (although some manufacturers use 40% ILD in Europe or Asia which would be different again) but with polyfoam it’s measured with a 4" layer which means that the IFD is the force it takes to compress the layer by 1" while latex ILD is measured on a 6" layer so ILD is the force it takes to compress the core by 1.5" (which takes more force). This means that polyfoam would actually be firmer in the same ILD than latex at compressions of exactly 25%.

In addition to this though … ILD is not the most reliable indicator of how soft or firm a layer will feel. Compression modulus is even more important because very few people actually sink into a layer exactly 25% and compression modulus is the rate at which a foam gets firmer as you compress it more. Latex has a higher compression modulus than polyfoam. In addition to this … latex is very “point elastic” which means that a smaller area can compress with less effect on or resistance from the surrounding area than polyfoam. This is much like the difference between pocket coils that act individually and innersprings that have helicals that join the springs together so that the compression of each spring will affect the springs around it which makes the spring stiffer.

In addition to this … latex has a lower hysteresis (how much energy is absorbed) and conversely a higher resilience (how much energy it returns) than polyfoam so there are also factors that can make latex feel firmer depending on how much a specific layer is compressed in a mattress. Because of its unique qualities and ability to take on the shape of the person on it (point elasticity) it can feel softer and firmer at the same time and some will feel it as one or the other depending on what they are more sensitive to, their body type, sleeping position, and how they sink into the mattress.

You may want to read through this short article of five steps to finding a mattress and some testing guidelines where I provide some general guidelines for that.

Phoenix

Wow the info about ILD comparing against Latex vs poly is so interesting.

Also the article about how to test a mattress I wish I woulda read before going to Syracuse to have them take pictures of me on the mattress so I could make my own assessment of how much my stomach dips in or shoulder imprints in.

So I went to Syracuse sleep master mattress today. They seemed very helpful off the bat but immediately steered me towards latex saying that if you are sleeping on SleepEZ you should never mix talalay comfort layer with dunlop core. The woman bashed Talalay pretty bad saying it was inconsistent and didn’t provide enough support. Interestingly through your site I read that talalay might actually be more consistent than dunlop but that’s beside the point. So I laid on their dunlop medium and dunlop firm mattresses. The medium felt great when I laid down on it, but after 10-15 min of really trying to relax I noticed that familiar lower back pain. I didn’t lay on the firm because it felt just too firm for me.

So then I went over to innerspring. She said they have a 30 day comfort guarantee to switch out a mattress for another one in this lineup which was nice but 30 days doesn’t seem like a lot. Jamestown offered the same gaurantee. So between both companies a wash.

So in innersprings they had two lineups. “Cicero” (high density 2.8 foam) and “Liverpool” (1.8 dense foam). Both lineups had a soft and a firm but nothing inbetween.

She had me lay on innerspring and on the latex flat on my back to “test my pressure points visually” to see if I sunk into the mattresses too much or if there was room under my knees (thus not supported). I’m not sure how good this testing is but it was nice for her to offer to help.

The Cicero firm felt good on my lower back but I think it may be too firm for my shoulder when laying on my stomach or over my arm under my pillow. The cicero soft felt good but 15 min in it felt borderline to soft on my lower back. The Liverpool firm felt less firm than the Cicero (2.8 dense) firm which is kind of what I was looking for. Unfortunately though it feels less firm because of possibly the foam density rather than by design. I would prefer to get a better foam in the bed so I’m kinda stuck here. Another thing I wasn’t too happy about was the lack of side reinforcements on the mattress. Jamestown offers a mod to put more support around the edges in case someone sleeps near an edge they don’t droop off.

So overall I liked the Liverpool firm best, then the Cicero Firm, then the Cicero Soft. Oddly the cheaper lower quality mattress felt better to me.

So at that point I was almost ready to consider buying and I asked the woman if she could show me the exact specs of what is in the mattress in terms of layers of foam, how thick they are, what density, and what ILD? I also asked for more information on the coils (she was only able to tell me they were bonnel formation. She said they don’t give out information like ILDs, specific foam densities, and information like what I was requesting anymore because they worry that a mattress competitor will come in and just steal the makeup of the mattress and offer it cheaper. I was disappointed to hear this. She was also noticeably triggered by these specific questions as well as she said “noone really asks about this stuff or goes to great lengths” like I did making me almost feel wrong or anal for asking about it. She did show me a piece of paper which showed the bed makeup but said I couldn’t take a photo of it. The makeup of the bed seemed highly complex with several layers of foams, none of the foam layers had density ratings on them or ILDs.

So my next step was to search your mattress forum to see if i can figure out what’s in them so i can compare them against Jamestown mattress.

Overall I think I liked the Cicero Firm the best because it felt firm support wise but it also felt alittle plush on top allowing my shoulder to get some relief. I think I’m going to go back to jamestown on monday and just give those 2 or 3 mattresses one more try. I keep feeling like the Firm is too firm everywhere I go and the soft/plush is too soft everywhere I go. I just want something in-between that will support my lower back yet not make my arm go numb.

The struggle is real here and I’ve got some serious decision paralysis and fear based on the fact that I’m scared that I buy something that feels comfortable in the store yet after 8 hours the next morning I’m in pain. A lot of your info on your site has helped me tremendously though and for that I’m grateful.

Hi Csj0952,

I’m glad you were able to do some more mattress testing. :slight_smile:

While photos are nice, don’t discount how you felt while trying out the product, as sometimes what you seen doesn’t line up exactly with what you feel.

I’m glad they were helpful to you. But you are correct about Talalay being more consistent than Dunlop. Both Talalay and Dunlop can provide very supportive and firm comforts, and it is a very popular choice for people to mix Dunlop and Talalay together in a mattress, quite commonly with Dunlop support cores and Talalay on top, so I’m not sure of the reasoning for the statements you were provided.

It may be, as we speculated previously, that you don’t like the point elasticity of latex in the upper comfort layers.

Again, your own impression on how you felt on the product would be the most reliable indicator. Testing to see how your knees touch or not wouldn’t be an indicator of proper support (as you suspected), as there would be more involved with that, including such things as somatotype and level of flexibility.

Both the 2.8 lb and 1.8 lb would be good quality polyfoam in this situation, and remember that density doesn’t have the relationship to hardness or softness of polyfoam like it does with latex mattresses.

Most manufactures have options of some sort of spring clip or extra foam extrusions to assist with edge reinforcement, and if you sleep toward the edge of your mattress this can be a very valuable option to add to a custom mattress.

While the foam is a lower density, it is still a good quality material (2.8 vs. 1.8 polyfoam).

I certainly understand the concern that manufactures have of people “showrooming” their mattresses to go and build their own, but knowing the density of the materials and the type of spring unit wouldn’t be information I would consider “proprietary”, and instead information that as a consumer you’d need to know in order to make an informed decision.

Overall, all the information you need to know is in this article. While the specs that affect the quality and durability of the layers and components are important to know, when you are testing a mattress locally then disclosing “comfort specs” such as ILD/IFD isn’t really necessary or even an important part of transparency because with careful testing your body will tell you much more about whether any specific combination of layers or components or any specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than knowing the ILD/IFD of the individual layers regardless of what the actual numbers may be. In other words, I would consider ILD/IFD information to be a legitimate part of what many manufacturers consider to be “proprietary” information and it would be completely meaningless and only add to the confusion for most consumers anyway.

It does happen at times that site members here get into quite a bit of detail with their questions when visiting mattress companies, and they are mistaken for competitors, which causes some manufacturers to “put up their guard”. But regardless, I’ll always advise to learn of all of the layers within a mattress in order to make an informed buying decision. But ILD/IFD aren’t necessary in a situation such as this.

You may have already read this, but one of the key qualities of a better outlet is the willingness to give you good information on the phone and help you “pre-select” a few mattresses that would be worth testing. Questions like “do you give your customers a list of all the layers in your mattress including the density of any polyfoam or memory foam that is in it?”. “Do you have any latex mattresses that don’t have more than an inch or so of polyfoam above the latex?”. “Can you tell me the layering of any memory foam mattresses you carry that you think may be worth testing?”. How much is … “this” … mattress in queen size mattress only?". Outlets that can and will answer these types of more specific questions cheerfully and without “resistance” and are clearly interested in helping you rather than telling you to “come in and lay on the mattress” before they give you any information are the ones worth visiting. You will get a clear sense of what to expect by asking these types of questions and it will save you watching a lot of eyes roll and “I’m going on a break” comments if you go into the store and start asking questions about materials and construction without an “interview”.

Phoenix

Thanks. Question. Is there any issues with going with a euro top mattress I need to be aware of if I check the components such as foam density and coil specs? I’m going to try this guy today which they claim lands between a firm and plush. http://jamestownmattress.com/super-firm-euro-top-one-sided-dynasty-mattress/

Hi Csj0952,

You’d still simply refer to the specifications of the componentry. A Eurotop is simply a construction process where the foam layers are carried out to the edges and the product itself it a bit more squared off. A true Eurotop is put together the same as a traditional tight top mattress, but with the addition of the small extra piece of border panel material (joined to the main border panel with a welting/tape edge) it minimizes the radius found where the quilt panel joins the border panel, creating a bit more of a squared off look and also freeing up the quilt/upholstery layers a bit more along the edges.

A pillowtop is made in a similar fashion, but there is actually a non-woven fabric layer bisecting the foam comfort layers at the level of that welting/tape edge, and if you pull on that welting it will not pull away from the mattress (it will pull away from the mattress on a Eurotop). Pillowtops can be constructed in the knife-edge design or the Eurotop (squared off) design, just to make things a bit more confusing.

In the end, these are all construction processes and the feel and durability will be determined mostly by the quality of componentry.

Phoenix