Casper mattress

I bought a king size Select Foam mattress 8 years ago for our winter home in Florida and still very satisfied with it. For our summer home we bought a Tempur Pedic Rapsody (king size) about 9 years ago. The Tempur Pedic did not respond to our needs since I am 6 feet- 285 pounds, I simply sink in it and after 4 or 5 months you can see a depression in the mattress.
The resaler gave us a very good service and they changed our mattress 4 times in that period. Last may we decided that it was enough and the resaler exchange our last Tempur for a latex mattress. I get up with back pains almost every morning. We decided to get a Select Foam mattress but they are gone now .(out of business) as I found out on your site.
One question , would Casper be as good as Select Foam. Thank you for all your infos.
Ri

Hi Ri,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]
I bought a king size Select Foam mattress 8 years ago for our winter home in Florida and still very satisfied with it
[/quote].

I’m glad you’re happy with your mattress.

Four exchanges in nine years? Wow-that’s quite a few. I’m sorry that didn’t work out for you.

I’m curious if you’re getting your mattresses from a reseller, or a new mattress retailer. If it’s a reseller, it could explain some of your issues with so many warranty replacements. As for your “latex” mattress, I can’t offer any commentary about that without knowing the componentry on the inside and the ILDs or densities of the foam layers, but I’m sorry that didn’t work out for you as well.

Yes, Select Foam is no longer in business. I can’t offer you more specifics for comparison, as you didn’t mention the model which you purchased eight years ago. If you know the model name, you may use the search feature here of the web site to search for that model name and you may be able to find the specifications of that particular model and then use that data to compare to other memory foam offerings. But in general, the Select Foam offerings would have used much higher density foams that the current Casper offering (you can see the specifications of the current Casper mattress in post #2 here), and the current Casper mattress uses only 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam in the second layer of the mattress form the top.

There is more about how one mattress may approximate another in post #9 here. Once you find out the name and then the specifications of your current Select Foam mattress you’ll be better able to find something that is closer to it in construction.

If you’re able to find out that information feel free to post it back here and I’ll do my best to provide commentary on it.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot. I’ll do my homework and try to get back here with the infos.

Ri

Hi Ri,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

New to the forum, this is my first post.

I’m considering a purchase of the Original Casper all-foam mattress. I noticed they’ve just recently changed the construction/materials— now it’s 3 layers instead of 4 and 11" total thickness instead of 12".

They now call the top layer “Airscape perforated breathable foam” but with no details on the type and density of the foam. They also don’t say how the zoned and base layers may have changed.

Wondering if you or colleagues might be able to share some insight?

Hi Kfox,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, Casper does not list any meaningful information nor were we able to find the specifics of the reworked Original mattress. If you or other subscribers here manage to somehow find out the information listed here and list the “quality specs” on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside it and help compare the materials to the guidelines here to identify any weak links in the mattress.

Regardless of what the foam is called or if it is zoned or not I’d keep in mind that the weak link of a mattress is almost always in the use of low-quality materials in the comfort layers and if you don’t know the specifics of what is inside a mattress that you are considering you would be basically making a completely “blind” purchase both in terms of both suitability and durability of this mattress.

I am not sure what you’ve read since you reached our site but generally, I’d make sure that at least you scanned through the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

You can read some recent consumer comments about Casper customer support experiences and a few other comments about the loss of support and Casper sagging issues within two months of use.

I hope some of the information here can help you move forward in your mattress search.

Phoenix