Casper mattress

We decided to try the Casper mattress over the Tuft and Needle due to people saying the Tuft was very firm. I did not feel that we would like the firm mattress. Even with a topper, I would rather have the right thing from the beginning. The Casper was $200 more (we used a $50 promo code).

We are in love!

The mattress is thinner than we are used to, but it gives just the right amount of support. I feel like we are sleeping in a deluxe hotel. This feels like a much more expensive bed.

For a free 100 day trial, it is worth trying out. There is no risk involved. Something that I really liked is that if we had decided to send it back, we would not be sending it to their warehouse. Instead, they contact a charity local to us and have them pick it up. My loss is a charities gain. I LOVE that.

As far as quality goes, there is a 10 year warranty. We have 3 kids and I like to sleep so our bed gets lots of use. No mattress we have ever owned (and we always got the really good ones) has lasted more than 10 years. By that point, we feel like we are each sleeping in a taco. I see this bed lasting just as long. A weekend at a nice hotel can cost almost as much, if not more, than this mattress, so I feel years of getting that kind of sleep at home is worth it.

Hi kellyohann,

You may not have been aware of this but Tuft & Needle changed the design of their mattresses and for the sake of others that may be reading this there are more details about the new design in posts #2 and #6 here.

Your comments have more of the “tone” of an ad for Casper and are somewhat exaggerated and on the “promotional” side and it’s not the norm that someone’s first post here is an “excited” review that is “gushing” about the wonders of their new mattress instead of questions that are part of their research. I also removed the specific promotional parts of your post which are against the rules of the forum.

Having said that … I’m glad that you are happy with your purchase and that it meets all the criteria that are important to you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

We really appreciate your mattress forum. We sent 2 expensive hybrid coil and foam mattresses back to Macys after they did not work well with our new adjustable bases. They also were not comfortable. We got the Casper mattress, (what did we have to lose with the 100 day guarantee?)
It was a little bit firm for us so we phoned Casper and they sent us out a FREE gel topper from Amazon with 2 day delivery. We are now in love with our Casper mattress.

Hi sharon2975,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about your Casper mattress.

I’m glad to see that things worked out well for you.

Just out of curiosity … are they asking you to post feedback here? I’m asking because both you and the previous poster’s registration and first post was after your purchase which is somewhat unusual on this forum (most of the members register and post with questions first before they end up purchasing a mattress) and are using language and capitalization and wording which seems more “promotional” than the norm.

Phoenix

Phoenix, No, they did not ask me to post here or anywhere.
The reason I had not posted before was that there was so much great information on this site that all of my questions were answered by reading thru everything already here.
Who knew that buying a mattress was so difficult. I did not know until I got the first mattress delivered from Macys and realized how little I knew. What I learned was to NOT trust the sales people at the mattress store. At least that was my lesson.
The reason I decided to post my outcome, was to help others who are searching for answers.
Your site helped me so much I decided to give back by sharing my experience.
I would have done this regardless of which mattress I ended up happy with.
Thanks so much for having this site. It is a great service.

Hi sharon2975,

Thanks for the clarification … I appreciate it!

I like to keep an eye on things so that the site doesn’t end up becoming a “promotional tool” for some of the “one size fits all” mattresses and to help make sure that the members here are making meaningful comparisons with other mattresses that are available to them in similar budget ranges that use similar or even higher quality materials rather than making their choices based more on “marketing information” which can often be somewhat misleading (see post #2 here).

If you looked at more than one option in this price range and made some good “value” comparisons between Casper and some of the other mattresses that are available to you based on the guidelines here and it was the best “match” for all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then you made a good choice … and congratulations on your new mattress … and topper :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Does a Casper mattress need to be aired out once unwrapped from plastic to counter the 'synthetic chemical ’ smell?

Hi DeltaRomeo,

All new mattresses will have some initial smell (and some people will be more sensitive to different smells from different types of foam than others) but it will normally dissipate to levels that most people wouldn’t notice in a few days. The materials are CertiPUR certified so they have been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s and for most people it wouldn’t be a issue. If for some reason you are more sensitive to the smell than others then you can let it air out for a few days first after it’s unwrapped and decompressed but for most people it would be fine to sleep on after a few hours.

Phoenix

First: after reading many of Phoenix’s excellent posts, I understand that there are many variables when it comes to sleeping temperature. That said:

Has anyone here tried the Casper after sleeping on a pillow-top innerspring mattress? I hate how hot our pillow-top is.

Hi Dignan17,

While I can’t speak from any personal experience (and hopefully others that have slept on the mattress will see your post and share their comments) … with a top layer of synthetic latex and being in a firmer range than most pillowtops … I don’t think that most people would have an issue with sleeping temperature on this mattress.

Phoenix

Have been sleeping on our Casper since September, no heat issues at all. That said we do have the gel topper on it that Casper sent to us for free. Very happy with Casper.

Why did you ask for the gel topper?

After a little hemming and hawing, and laying on a friends Casper and thinking it was too firm, I was undecided as to what direction to buy. Yesterday my buddy called me to say he was out of town for the evening on business and I should sleep over at his place. After a full night of sleeping on it I was completely surprised. I sleep on a SOFT latex mattress at home. It was the first one offered by Denver Mattress some years ago. It’s called the Cleopatra. I think it retailed for around 3 grand maybe. It was on display as-is, because someone had returned it because it was too soft. The mattress had been sitting in their warehouse for about 2 years the salesman told me. Which I believed because after a quick search online, I could find NOTHING recent about the mattress. I bought it for like 200 bucks for a king size. I loved it for about year, till out of nowhere it developed MASSIVE dips. Like almost 3 inches. I checked the tag and it said 90% Latex, so I’m wondering if it was the 10% polyfoam that compressed on me. In any case after a year on such a “plush” mattress, I thought I loved really soft. But after that one night sleeping on a moderately soft mattress, I was blown away. My neck and back felt amazing. I didn’t toss and turn during the night. I felt refreshed. My body felt healthy.

Also, in response to Phoenix asking another poster in this thread if she was asked by Casper to share positive reviews, I’ll say that I have not been contacted once by Casper other than a purchase receipt and referral link in my email. Just excited about the new purchase and wanted to share my limited experience.

Did you find the mattress to be pretty cool when sleeping?

Hi Dignin17,

You can see a description of the Cleopatra Plush here. It sold for $1399 (in king size). The weakest link of the mattress (and the probable source of any impressions you are experiencing) would be the 3.5" of polyfoam in the top layers of the mattress.

I’m glad that you found a mattress that is a good “match” for you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: I removed the promotional content of your post which is against the forum rules.

$3,000 is what the salesman told me. Never can get a straight answer from those guys! It’s too bad it dipped so bad, because for about a year it really was a joy to sleep on. But it may have even been a touch too soft even before it sagged. Just wasn’t quite enough support. It would be a nice bed to sleep on during vacation or something :slight_smile:

I haven’t slept on an innerspring mattress in a long time. So I can’t compare very well. But it’s certainly cooler than 100% memory foam mattresses, even the ones with the “cooling technology.” It is cooler than my Talalay Latex hybrid mattress that I’m on now.

Hi, new member here. I just got the Casper on Friday. Right now I just replaced my former queen mattress with it, so it’s sitting on top my old box spring. They claim it can be used this way or on a platform, but I have a feeling it would improve with a platform. Any ideas on this?
I’m not sure about getting a platform bed until I’m sure about the Casper - would I get a better test of it if I put some kind of support between the Casper and the box spring? If so, what, at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Hi PeterDoubt,

There are a lot of people (consumers and in the industry) that use “box spring” and “foundation” interchangeably when they are actually different products. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under pressure (such as pressing with firm pressure with your hands or knees) and a foundation doesn’t have any springs and would have very limited or no flex. A foam mattress generally does best with a foundation that provides non flexing and even support under the mattress. If you put a foam mattress on a box spring or any support system that flexes then it will change the feel and performance of the mattress.

If you have a box spring that flexes then you can approximate what your mattress will feel like on a foundation (or a platform bed that also has a non flexing slat or solid surface which is suitable for directly supporting a mattress) by putting it on the floor or by putting a sheet of plywood over the box spring so that there is no flex under your mattress.

There is also more about the different types of support systems that are generally most suitable for different types of mattress and some sources for each of them in the foundation post here.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix, I have a lot of reading to do. I wanted to post here hoping to get feedback from other owners of the Casper specifically. I’m not sure where along the continuum it belongs from foam to latex. This is all new to me. I replaced my mattress hoping to help alleviate the pain from a pinched nerve between shoulder blades radiating down my right arm. Makes it hard to play guitar :wink:
I’ll go read.
You have a great forum, and It looks like you’re providing a wonderful service to a lot of people. Thank you again and congratulations!