Casper mattress

Why did you ask for the gel topper?

After a little hemming and hawing, and laying on a friends Casper and thinking it was too firm, I was undecided as to what direction to buy. Yesterday my buddy called me to say he was out of town for the evening on business and I should sleep over at his place. After a full night of sleeping on it I was completely surprised. I sleep on a SOFT latex mattress at home. It was the first one offered by Denver Mattress some years ago. It’s called the Cleopatra. I think it retailed for around 3 grand maybe. It was on display as-is, because someone had returned it because it was too soft. The mattress had been sitting in their warehouse for about 2 years the salesman told me. Which I believed because after a quick search online, I could find NOTHING recent about the mattress. I bought it for like 200 bucks for a king size. I loved it for about year, till out of nowhere it developed MASSIVE dips. Like almost 3 inches. I checked the tag and it said 90% Latex, so I’m wondering if it was the 10% polyfoam that compressed on me. In any case after a year on such a “plush” mattress, I thought I loved really soft. But after that one night sleeping on a moderately soft mattress, I was blown away. My neck and back felt amazing. I didn’t toss and turn during the night. I felt refreshed. My body felt healthy.

Also, in response to Phoenix asking another poster in this thread if she was asked by Casper to share positive reviews, I’ll say that I have not been contacted once by Casper other than a purchase receipt and referral link in my email. Just excited about the new purchase and wanted to share my limited experience.

Did you find the mattress to be pretty cool when sleeping?

Hi Dignin17,

You can see a description of the Cleopatra Plush here. It sold for $1399 (in king size). The weakest link of the mattress (and the probable source of any impressions you are experiencing) would be the 3.5" of polyfoam in the top layers of the mattress.

I’m glad that you found a mattress that is a good “match” for you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: I removed the promotional content of your post which is against the forum rules.

$3,000 is what the salesman told me. Never can get a straight answer from those guys! It’s too bad it dipped so bad, because for about a year it really was a joy to sleep on. But it may have even been a touch too soft even before it sagged. Just wasn’t quite enough support. It would be a nice bed to sleep on during vacation or something :slight_smile:

I haven’t slept on an innerspring mattress in a long time. So I can’t compare very well. But it’s certainly cooler than 100% memory foam mattresses, even the ones with the “cooling technology.” It is cooler than my Talalay Latex hybrid mattress that I’m on now.

Hi, new member here. I just got the Casper on Friday. Right now I just replaced my former queen mattress with it, so it’s sitting on top my old box spring. They claim it can be used this way or on a platform, but I have a feeling it would improve with a platform. Any ideas on this?
I’m not sure about getting a platform bed until I’m sure about the Casper - would I get a better test of it if I put some kind of support between the Casper and the box spring? If so, what, at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Hi PeterDoubt,

There are a lot of people (consumers and in the industry) that use “box spring” and “foundation” interchangeably when they are actually different products. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under pressure (such as pressing with firm pressure with your hands or knees) and a foundation doesn’t have any springs and would have very limited or no flex. A foam mattress generally does best with a foundation that provides non flexing and even support under the mattress. If you put a foam mattress on a box spring or any support system that flexes then it will change the feel and performance of the mattress.

If you have a box spring that flexes then you can approximate what your mattress will feel like on a foundation (or a platform bed that also has a non flexing slat or solid surface which is suitable for directly supporting a mattress) by putting it on the floor or by putting a sheet of plywood over the box spring so that there is no flex under your mattress.

There is also more about the different types of support systems that are generally most suitable for different types of mattress and some sources for each of them in the foundation post here.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix, I have a lot of reading to do. I wanted to post here hoping to get feedback from other owners of the Casper specifically. I’m not sure where along the continuum it belongs from foam to latex. This is all new to me. I replaced my mattress hoping to help alleviate the pain from a pinched nerve between shoulder blades radiating down my right arm. Makes it hard to play guitar :wink:
I’ll go read.
You have a great forum, and It looks like you’re providing a wonderful service to a lot of people. Thank you again and congratulations!

Hi PeterDoubt,

The Casper is a foam mattress (latex foam, memory foam, and polyfoam are all different types of foam) and contains 1.5" of synthetic latex over 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam over a 7" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core. It doesn’t have enough latex or memory foam to be included in either a latex hybrid or memory foam category so it would be more fair to call it a mattress that has “hybrid” comfort layers.

A forum search on Casper (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts and feedback that mention them.

I would also be very cautious about using someone else’s experience on any mattress (either positive or negative) as a meaningful source of guidance about how a mattress will feel for you because firmness and softness is very subjective and relative to different people (a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel soft for someone else) and each person can be very different. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be more or less sensitive to (see post #15 here) and a mattress that is a “perfect” match for one person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they are in similar weight ranges. Using other people’s mattress reviews or experiences as a meaningful source of research and information can often be more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

Hey Folks

Just thought I’d stop by because I am near the end of my 100 day trial. I wanted to share my experience with my Casper because this place was a tremendous resource when I was looking for a mattress.

I started out with the Tuft & Needle. This is the old model and at first it was too firm. Eventually, it softened up and was a decent mattress but I was looking for a better fit. I returned it, which was a great experience and they are a tremendous company. I wish they had their new softer one available when I first looked because towards the end of my trial I was rethinking keeping it. I, however, decided to return it and try the casper. I figured if I did not like the Casper, I’d just get the tuft & needle.

So I got the casper - queen size. Like Tuft - great packaging, great company with customer service made things effortless. I hate effort. At first, the casper was amazing. But then, I started waking up with lower back pain. Tightness, it would loosen up after I showered. I was not thrilled. I spoke to Casper and they mentioned their new latex topper. They have two types, soft and firm. I opted for soft, even though conventional wisdom was that I should go firm. It arrived sometime last week, perhaps thursday. Since then, I have been sleeping amazingly well. Its a great addition. The extra layer of latex has really mad a different and I feel like my back receives more support, even though it sleeps softer, than it did before. Perhaps they should increase the thickness of the latex layer in the current mattress?

BTW, I am a stomach and side sleeper and I had hip arthroscopy in August so I have some issues there as well. Id recommend the casper w/ soft topper to anyone in a similar boat. Im a late 20s male that weighs 190 as well. Whatever.

Anyways, I considered returning this, just to try the Tuft & Needle (because hey, free returns on Casper, if the new Tuft didn’t work out I was permitted to return the mattress again, you can do it 1x per year), but I think I am thrilled with how the Casper sleeps now. I could not recommend them more. I also highly recommend Tuft because they were so effortless. Both companies saved me oddles of time and gave me a no risk try-out of two high quality mattresses. I think due to timing, I stuck with Casper.

What is interesting is that these companies, like all startups come out touting a superior product, but then after the first people buy them, they get feed back and fix their product. Essentially, their product was not as amazing as they touted, they may have rushed to market, but they are listening to their customers, which is nice. However, unlike ipods and software which are not high ticket items, that are inelastic and durable, early adopters won’t get the 2.0 version of the product. This in turn could severely jeopardize their customer satisfaction/loyalty. But, I don’t care because I got a bed that works. Just was thinking all philosophically.

Hi JeromeJeromeJerome,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it!

It’s great to see that your mattress and topper are working out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey Jerome… As someone who has tried both of these mattresses I was hoping you could provide a few additional details please.
Specifically regarding bounce or push back.(I think you can figure out where Im going with this :lol: ) Also you mentioned a new Casper topper. Was this option a freebie when you mentioned to them its firmness or did you have to pay for it, and how thick is it?
Lastly is there anything abut one or the other that would suggest to you that its durability may be better or worse between the two?

Thanks.

Keith

Hi klphoto,

I don’t have any personal experience with either of them so I will leave the more subjective personal comparisons to JeromeJeromeJerome (although I don’t believe they have tried the new version of the Tuft & Needle) … but I can speak to the relative durability of each of them since durability is something that you can’t “feel” or see and can only be assessed based on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside a mattress.

The Casper uses 1.5" of synthetic latex in the top layer which would likely be a little more durable than the 2.8 lb polyfoam in the Tuft & Needle and then uses 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam in the middle layer which would likely be a little less durable than the 2.8 lb polyfoam in the Tuft & Needle and then both of them use 1.8 lb polyfoam in the base layer. Neither of them have any obvious weak links in the quality of their materials and overall I would say they would both be closely comparable in terms of durability.

A forum search on Tuft Needle Casper will also bring up all the forum posts that mention both of them as well (some of which have tried both).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

In this thread you say, “there are also mattresses available from the members here that use 8” or 9" of synthetic latex in the same approximate price range and they have the ability to customize the layers both before and after a purchase. There are also latex hybrid mattresses available that use 3" of blended Talalay latex (which is a more costly material than either 4 lb memory foam or synthetic Dunlop latex) with a polyfoam base layer that are in a lower budget range than the Casper. "

Could you tell me what companies those are? Also, I tried out the tuft and needle mattress and it didn’t work out for me. they were incredibly wonderful about the return. A local charity (St. Vincent de Paul) picked up the mattress from the bedroom and T & N after emailing T &N the receipt from St Vinny’s, they promptly refunded my money.

p.s. Because the Casper and the T&N are different constructions and given Casper’s now 100 day refund policy, is it worth giving the Casper a try?

Thanks,

Dan

After a long time ‘making do’, we recently moved house and purchased a king-size Casper Mattress 3 weeks ago. So far our qualitative feedback is that it’s slightly too hard for me (195 lbs) and too soft for my wife (135 lbs). I suspect that, given the layered structure of the mattress, my wife is experiencing too much of the soft latex top layer and I’m settling down into the harder foam layers below.

So far, it looks like we might be returning it… We’ll see how next few weeks go!

For reference, our previous mattress was a $400 IKEA spring mattress, not particularly comfortable due to sagging areas where I habitually lay.

Hi ddcfri,

I’m sorry to hear that your Tuft & Needle mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Two of the members here were making an “all synthetic latex” mattress at one point. One of them had two 4" convoluted layers and the other one had three 3" layers but neither one are making them any longer.

Some of the lower budget latex or latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of are listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

Some of the other simplified choice mattresses besides Tuft & Needle and Casper are also listed in post #2 here and the first post in the same topic may be worth reading as well.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While the firmness level would be “somewhat similar” (they are both somewhere in a “medium” range), they use different combinations of materials so they will have a different “feel” but you are the only one that can decide whether trying the Casper (vs the many other options that are available to you) would be worth it to you.

Phoenix

Hi Brown,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your Casper mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

If you do decide to return it then I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up trying next … and of course to any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

hi there
i was wondering if anyone has had any experience yet with the new, fourth layer of the casper.
does it make any difference for a side sleeper (190lbs/86kg) with regard to shoulder pressure or “hitting” the base layer in the mattress? can it be considered to be a better fit (softer) now for a side sleeper with an athletic figure (wide shoulders)? thanks!

Hi Friedrich,

I’m guessing you’re referring to the new transition layer of 1.5" 2.5 lb. polyfoam on top of the 5" 1.8 lb. polyfoam support core (the core used to be 7" and there was no transition foam layer). While I don’t have the specifics on the IFD of this layer and I haven’t tried the products side by side, it certainly could be reasonable to assume that this transition layer could “soften” the transition from the upper comfort layers to the base support foam layer (and the fact that the base support foam layer is 2" thinner.).

With that being said, I would be very cautious about using someone else’s experience on any mattress (either positive or negative) as a meaningful source of guidance about how a mattress will feel for you because firmness and softness is very subjective and relative to different people (a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel soft for someone else) and each person can be very different. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be more or less sensitive to (see post #15 here) and a mattress that is a “perfect” match for one person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they are in similar weight ranges. Using other people’s mattress reviews or experiences as a meaningful source of research and information can often be more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

If you want to look, a forum search on Casper (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts and feedback that mention them.

Thanks!

Phoenix