Certipur-US certified foams vs. latex

I’m a bit confused about the relative safety of poly foams vs latex foams. By safety, I mean not hazardous to human health and free of man-made chemicals which could be hazardous to human health.

Latex (100% natural, not blended or synthetic) is often touted as a safer alternative to poly foams. I am wondering how true that is and why.

I understand that Certipur-US strives to ensure that poly foam mattresses meeting standard are made without ozone depleters; PBDE’s, TDCPP, or TCEP flame retardants; formaldehyde; phtlalates; and heavy metals.

BUT — does this mean they are really safe to sleep upon and breathe the dust from or just “safer” than foams not meeting standard?

AND, since non-organic natural latex is processed with chemicals does that affect the end product in terms of safety? If so, how would those safety levels of natural latex foam compare with Certipur-US poly foams?

Hello, Turquoise.

It is true that CertiPUR certified poly foams are much safer than petroleum-based ones, as they are made without hazardous VOC-emitting chemicals. With that said, if you’re looking for a non-toxic, clean-breathing option, the best place to look is to 100% natural latex, preferably GOLS certified organic latex.

Not all blended latex is created equal. One that is a blend of natural latex and CertiPUR foam would be a cleaner option than one blended with a toxic foam.

We use 100% GOLS certified organic Dunlop latex specifically because it is the most eco-conscious form of natural latex as well as the most resilient.

Thanks for the quick response! So I’m still unclear whether 100% natural latex (as opposed to GOLS certified organic latex) is actually non-toxic and safe? I understand it is processed with chemicals and wonder if that translates into a less-safe product than the organic?

Having the latex certified by GOLS ensures that there are no fillers or additives of any kind. Companies can make claims about “natural latex”, but that simply means that it’s made from the sap of the rubber tree. Unfortunately, you don’t get any guarantee that the natural latex you’re buying is 100% natural unless it’s certified organic by the Control Union (GOLS).

Confusion again — I thought the GOLS certification applies to organically grown latex that is processed without synthetic fillers and that Oeko-Tex certification applies to 100% natural latex processed without synthetics and chemical fillers ? In other words that the primary difference between the 100% natural and the organic is that the organic latex is grown without chemicals or pesticides and the natural may not have been — but the certification ensures that the processing from sap to foam for either is done without man-made materials or chemicals?

The GOLS certification is something a material supplier can pay for to ensure that the latex they are providing is responsibly grown, packaged and shipped. You can produce latex grown in the same fashion but not carry the organic certification. There are costs associated with carrying the organic certification, which results in higher priced latex, so some companies simply opt not to have their materials - or not all of their lines of materials - certified.