Charles P. Rogers Powercore 9000 vs. NANO

Hi mabelle,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges. While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much).

[quote]But now we’re moving and ready for a new mattress. We want to go to a King size. I’ve been considering the Charles P. Rogers Powercore Estate 9000. The CPR salesman (via phone) recommended the Nano, with the micropocketed coils for extra comfort. It’s more expense on an already pretty expensive mattress but the coils sound nice. They have a NANO2 with two layers of micro coils. I wonder if it’s worth it. We like soft surfaces but need good support.

(1) What are micro coils like and is the Nano a real step up?[/quote]

You can read more about microcoils (or nanocoils) that are used in comfort layers in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here. They would be a durable choice that can work well for those that prefer the more springy feel of microcoils in the comfort layers of their mattress.

It would certainly be a “step up” in terms of cost but it may not be a “step up” in terms of “value” because this would depend on whether it was a better “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP and on which mattress you would sleep best on (the price of a mattress not a good indication of whether you will sleep better on a mattress or whether it would be a better “match” for you)

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased the CPR Estate 9000 will see your post and share their comments but I would keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

If you tend to prefer innerspring/latex hybrid mattresses (and there are many who do … see post #13 here), outside of any other local options that may be available to you some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here that may also be worth considering.

[quote]
HERE"S THE INFO ON THE POWERCORE 9000
ESTATE 9000 LUXURY PLUSH
15-1/2" thick
Active Powercore 2™ spring unit
Comfort padding is double thick extra firm Pure Talalay Latex with added soft layer of Pure Talalay Latex and a layer of genuine latex gel.
340 gram circular knit with 25 mm hypo-allergenic quilt padding, Woven fabric border and gusset with handles on all 4 sides
AND HERE"S THE INFO ON THE POWERCORE NANO
14-1/4" thick
Active Powercore 2™ spring unit
Comfort padding:
Soft layer of Pure Talalay Latex on top

• Extra firm Pure Talalay Latex comfort layer
  • 25mm/2500 (queen) nano coil comfort layer
    340 gram circular knit with 25 mm hypo-allergenic quilt padding, Woven fabric border and gusset with handles on all 4 sides[/quote]

There are more complete specs for the Estate Powercore 9000 and some comments about it (and Charles P Rogers in general) in post #2 here.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (just in case there is a retailer or manufacturer that is relatively close to you that you’re not aware of that may be worth considering).

Phoenix