Cheapo Ikea innerspring + 4" memory foam topper?

Hi guys, I need some help finding a budget mattress. I’m 6’ tall, 240 lbs, I sleep on my side and I’ve never met a mattress that was too soft.

So far I’ve just been to Ikea Emeryville where the only bed there that I liked was the Sultan Hultsvik, but it’s a bit spendy (in my world) at $650 for a queen. I also question the wisdom of spending $650 on anything at Ikea. Supposedly it has about 7 inches of pocket springs and 6.5 inches of foam, including 2.5 inches of memory foam.

I also tried the cheapo $199 Sultan Hurva with a 2.3 inch memory foam topper added on and that was pretty decent too, though not as good as the hultsvik. The Hurva is a 7 inch mattress with 5 inch bonnell springs and 2 inches of foam.

So I’m thinking I might be happy with the Hurva and a piece of 4 inch memory foam from amazon or overstock (3-4lb). I’ve read elsewhere that a cheap, firm innerspring with an interent sourced topper can make an excellent value.

Any naysayers? Anyone with a better idea??

Thanks!

Hi burritolicious,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices in any budget range … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you get to step 3 … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are also open to purchasing online then the tutorial also includes several links to lists of some of the better online sources I’m aware of but to help you narrow them down, posts #3 and #4 here includes some of the better online sources for lower budget latex or latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of and post #4 here includes some of the better online sources for lower budget memory foam, polyfoam, or innerspring mattresses I’m aware of as well

I would always make sure that you know the quality of all the materials in any mattress or topper you purchase so you can identify any lower quality and less durable materials that would be weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

I would also tend to avoid buying a mattress/topper combination unless you can test the combination in person (see post #2 here).

Phoenix