Chemicals and Fire Retardants

Hi - In trying to find a new mattress and evaluating my top picks, I’ve hit a decision point that I could use some help with. I visited a store that sells prescription only mattresses free of fire retardants. That hadn’t been on my radar, but now I’m looking into it and hearing about how much worse fire retardants got in 2007 and how bad certain kinds of foam can be in and of themselves. Looking back, I can associate certain minor health issues with getting a memory foam topper for my spring mattress, but I’m not sure. I just don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that is bad for me and with a family history with cancer, I want to be especially careful. What are your thoughts are on this issue?

Specifically: Are current fire retardants in mattresses dangerous to health? Do all mattresses have them other than the prescription variations? Are certain kinds of foam in general dangerous to health? How much of a difference is there between certipur mattresses, prescription chemical free mattresses, and normal mattresses in terms of harmful carcinogens and other harmful chemicals? Would a latex mattress from a national chain have fire retardants and chemicals (specifically Haynes Restonic Utopia mattresses, which they claim are 100% Talalay Latex)? Do memory foam pillows and box springs have them as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I can suggest to visit this website: http://www.urbanmattress.com/
Maybe you can find what you need here.