Chime 12 Inch Plush Hybrid didnt fully expand

I just bought a Chime 12 Inch Plush Hybrid and was told it would expand 90% when I break the seal and then finish in a couple hours. It didn’t so i gave it another day, a total of 30 hours since opening it. It has a bulge in the middle perfectly placed to cause lower back pain(i tried sleeping on it but woke up in pain after a few hours) and all the edges are noticably not expanded. There are a height differences in the coils throught but that bulge in center is the worst. Its now been over 72 hours and its still visibly bulging in the center.

I called the furniture store and the owner is refusing to return the mattress. I found a few mentions that the FTC require businesses to replace or refund defective products. Any advice would be amazing.

Chime mattresses are manufactured by Ashley Furniture, not sure where you made the purchase since they’re sold at various retailers. Since the store you purchased it at isn’t willing to handle the return I’d suggest contacting Ashley Furniture directly, sounds like this would be a clear warranty replacement as long as it was purchased as a new product. https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/ask-ashley/

Good luck,

• Bill

Hi GeeMonty,

I agree with @Sweet_Dreams, you should contact Ashley Furniture directly…while it can take several days to expand fully, it certainly sounds like this was somehow incorrectly compressed/stored/shipped, sure to the severe sounding ‘bump’ on the surface. Hopefully they can make it right!

~ Basilio

So when i had talked to the owner he said no returns but someone suggested to just take it back so I did. He didnt even argue but insisted i pull the trailer around back, then quickly refunded 100% and basically kicked me out of the store. I gotbthe impression he doesnt want to see me in his store again.

I am kind of worried to try another mattress in a box now. Do they typically fail like this or was I just unlucky to get a lemon.

Hi GeeMonty,

Sorry to hear of your odd treatment by the store manager- but at least you finally got your money back!

There are inherent problems with bed-in-a-box mattresses, as there is no way to tel how long they were compressed and sitting in a Warehouse, of unknown environmental conditions (too hot, too cold, dust, pests, etc are all possible). While some of the Trusted Members compress their products for shipping, mainly for lower shipping and more handle-able boxes for the consumer, these are done right before shipping and they do not sit compressed on a storage facility for long periods of time. You might want to take a look through their offerings to find a hybrid you won’t have so much stress with!

~ Basilio

1 Like

Hi there,
Very sorry to hear of your experience - back pain is no fun, and you want your mattress to help, not hurt!

Basilio is correct, of course - your hesitance to purchase another bed in a box is understandable. But some manufacturers only compress just before shipping. Naturepedic has been selling and shipping many of its mattresses this way for quite some time. We’ve sold them for years and have not had complaints of this sort.

Good luck with your search!
Katie

1 Like

How good are the trusted sellers with trials and returns? I am autistics with hypersensitivity which complicates things. I can’t lay on a memory foam bed without freaking out, hybrids with a few inches of it is ok. Some beds I can hear the springs and feel them.

Wish I didnt have to replace my old mattress i loved it. Got it from Mor in 2005 for $400 and only started sagging 2 years ago.