- China - How to choose between Latex Manufacturers

I have a different post about choosing a latex mattress between Lien’A / Theptex / Latex systems in different posts. Feel free to read here.

So after two weeks of researching into the Chinese market, I am basically hopeless with people in the industry. They take shady business actions such as fake-imports (by exporting and then re-importing, or even collaberate with shipping company), fake documents (photoshop SGSs, custom clearance, and such), to even “fake” brands (where they register the trade mark of a famous latex brand and then sell it with inferior products with the brand name).

• Theptex is out of the equation due to its only sold by a shady retailer.
  • Latex systems is also out because its just a chaox in the market due to the scandal where they rented the patent logo and “made in Thailand” mold to Chinese manufactuers to produce a fake product, and although their quality might improve now, but there must be poor product in circulation

That leaves us with only:

1. Lien’A - They have setup a subsidiary and there is communication between us. I am looking at a 6" 1 piece king size latex mattress with 85D, 95D, and 110D. They recommended 85D or 95D since Chinese like to sleep on a firmer bed. There is a sample where I can test with around 3/4 hours travel time from I live.
  2. Green Latex (Thailand) - From online, they say its quite a reputable manufacturer in Thailand and they have comparable certifications here ( at the bottom). I contacted them and they can ship it via truck from Thailand to China, but I could not try it since there isn’t any sample in China. They also only has one density of 75D and one product that they can ship which is the 7-zone. If I were to buy, it would be two 3" layers versus one 6" with Lien’A.

I am leaning towards Green Latex since they are a company that made GOLS standard, tested by the Chinese testing institution when going through customs. Also they are not destroyed by unethical Chinese businesses. By sending it to me via land transport, I feel that there are just much more transparency which I really appreciate and peace of mind. I am worried that it may be too soft though for us at 75D without trying it. That would be a full medium latex mattress base on Pheonix’s calculation ofpost #2 here.

I thought it might be better for us to get a wool topper of 1.5"(?) that allows us to firm up the feel if the 75D latex sinks in too much. But I feel like its a big gamble to make to buy it without trying it, should we do it? Or stick with Lien’A and never buy the Green Latex since we won’t be able to test it at all?

I am 180lbs 5’9, and my partner is 110lbs 5’4.

Thank you for reading! I know its long and any opinion is appreciated! =)

Hey Justneedsomehelp,

Thanks for the check-in and for your question :slight_smile: .

[quote]So after two weeks of researching into the Chinese market, I am basically hopeless with people in the industry…

That leaves us with only:
Lien’A - They have setup a subsidiary and there is communication between us. I am looking at a 6" 1 piece king size latex mattress with 85D, 95D, and 110D. They recommended 85D or 95D since Chinese like to sleep on a firmer bed. There is a sample where I can test with around 3/4 hours travel time from I live.[/quote]

Lien 'A is a reputable manufacturer producing natural latex products out of Vietnam. Their components meet GOLS certifications and other natural testing standards, one of your shopping criteria mentioned. Unfortunately, as their web site is not set up for direct-to-consumer purchases, it lacks important details for understanding their policies such as whether product exchanges/ returns are offered; what costs may be involved for either of those and how long you have to test a mattress before making either an exchange or return. You mention that “they recommend 85D or 95D since Chinese like to sleep on a firmer bed”; what is your mattress firmness preference? I just reviewed our other chats and noticed I failed to ask you one of my standby questions: what mattress are you sleeping on now and what are some qualities that you like about it? Not sure if I understand by “3/4 hours travel time” you mean the sample location is 3 quarters of an hour away or 3-to-4 hours away? As long as there is a comfortable travel distance involved, it is well-worth the effort to test a mattress in person, avoiding possible added expense and disappointment later.

I am not familiar with Green Latex but did visit the site and found it much like Lien 'A’s in regards to no on-line purchasing therefore no consumer post-sale information. If you have no way to try their 7-Zone 75D mattress, what are their exchange/ return policies? If you purchase from Green Latex with a guarantee that you could return it should the mattress be too soft, that would give you at least the chance to try the mattress for a period of time.

The topper will compress and firm up a bit over time, conforming more to your shape and the layer underneath it, not sure that would create enough of a firmness difference in comparison to Lien ‘A’s 85D-95D recommendation. You have done lots of great research, Justneedsomehelp; your final decision now comes down to understanding what firmness you prefer and which company provides the least purchase risks post-sale. As only you can “feel” what you feel on a mattress and testing options are limited, and my research failed to yield these companies’ post-sale product remedies, I cannot offer any further opinions. I am intrigued by your process and hope you’ll keep sharing updates as you continue to narrow choices further… :wink:

Thanks,
Sensei