Choosing an adjustable base

I need advice on choosing an adjustable bed base. I don’t want a lot of bells and whistles, just the ability to raise and lower the head and foot of the bed. Don’t want to spend a fortune, either. Would prefer something less than $1,000 for a queen size base. Any recommendations?

Hi! We are also in the market for a queen adjustable base. I have researched various models noted here, and checked various prices online. From my research, I found that the Reverie 5D and also Leggett and Platt S-Cape were acceptable choices. The S-Cape has the most attractive pricing - which I found on both Amazon.com and Dreamfoambedding.com. Right around $1090 (free shipping)

That said, I made a few calls to local mattress stores and found that Mattress Firm also carries the S-Cape and beats any advertised price by 10%. That brings the total down to $975. And they even set it up for free (in my area).

If you don’t have a Mattress Firm in your area, call other stores and see what brands they carry and see if they will beat online prices.

Most of the major adjustable bed manufacturers produce entry-level models without the massage, USB ports, etc. Just take a look and make sure that they are using two separate motors, so that you may adjust the head and foot sections independently. Some of the entry models are head-up only, or they use a single motor and the head and foot sections go up together at a prescribed rate. I can speak for the Rize line, as that is a brand I carry, that they have two entry models called the Elevation and the Edge that do what you are asking. Maybe some other members here can provide information from some of the other manufacturers regarding their entry level products. I just saw some of the new entry Leggett & Platt models at market, but all three of those models were either head-only or head and foot together.

Good luck!

I read the reply about not all bases adjusting head and feet independently. The S-Cape does in fact adjust independently.

Yes, that is correct - it does feature two separate motors… The S-Cape is not one of the new models from Leggett and Platt that were introduced at market - it is one of their legacy models that has been in production for quite some time…

Thanks for sharing the results of your research. Now I know what to ask when I call local retailers to compare against on-line prices.

Thank you. I’ll definitely check on the two motors before I make a purchase.

Hi skr1975 and dtsnyder,

I don’t keep a record of all the prices for adjustable beds that are available at the hundreds of retailers that sell them either locally or online but there is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes links to some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic).

Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at the prices that are listed on websites.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. The articles were helpful.

I need a single motor driven base, centered. We have raised platform bed frame with side drawers.

Any ideas?

Hi PapaMike,

I don’t know of any off the top of my head that have a single motor but some of the adjustable bed manufacturers make adjustable beds with a motor and mechanism that doesn’t extend below the steel frame and can be used without the legs on top of a platform bed assuming that the platform bed is strong enough to hold the weight of the adjustable, the mattress, and the people sleeping on it. The last time I checked on this some examples included some of the Axelbloom adjustables and the Ergomotion adjustables at the time could all be used on a platform and the Leggett & Platt S-Cape with the DC motor and the Reverie (Deluxe) could apparently also be used directly on a platform bed as well. There may be others as well (including some newer models that weren’t available at the time) that I haven’t asked about.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: ergomotion.us/products| Archived Footprint 2:lpadjustablebeds.com/downloads/brochures/s-cape-bed-base.pdfArchived Footprint 3:reverie.com/reverie-5d

Phoenix

I bought for her bedroom excellent adjustable beds from Serta. Long could not find a suitable, but this article will help. :slight_smile: Now very pleased that bought this bed, since it is inexpensive, only $ 694. Still very convenient. I recommend! :woohoo: :woohoo: