Choosing Latex Mattress Layers & South East U.S. Showrooms & Manufacturers

Hi Phoenix,

I’d appreciate any insights you might share as my husband & i try to figure out what combination or latex layers we should order for our new bed…

Are there any regional mattress manufacturers &/or mattress showrooms that carry natural Talalay latex mattresses that one may try out near Nashville, TN or Birmingham, AL? I’m located in Huntsville, AL.

Is there a formula one should use to determine what firmness or softness that would be best for each person & how are the multiple layers determined for a made to order latex bed? Is a variation made for those with back pain versus those who don’t suffer from it?

Thank you & Happy New Year!!!

Denise

Hi deisele,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here would be the place I would start and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Huntsville area are listed in post #2 here.

No … there are too many unknowns, variables, and individual preferences to use any kind of formula or “theory at a distance” to choose a mattress design. Post #2 here is one of the links in the tutorial post and has links to some generic guidelines that can give you a better understanding of the theory and basic concepts and information behind mattress design and layering but these are only generic and don’t apply to any specific person.

The only effective way to make the best possible choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is either with your own careful and objective personal testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post or if you are looking at an online purchase then with a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer who sells a mattress you are considering so they can use a combination of their own knowledge and experience, your local testing experiences, and the “averages” of their customers that may be similar to you to help you choose between the options that they have available that has the highest odds of success.

The “best” choice for those with back pain is really the same as with those without it except good alignment on a mattress in all your sleeping positions is even more important because you will likely be less tolerant to sleeping out of alignment than those who have a wider range that they can sleep on comfortably without discomfort or “symptoms”.

Happy New Year to you as well … and hopefully with a new mattress you will be sleeping much better in 2014 :slight_smile:

Phoenix