Classic Brands Advanced Comfort 14" Memory Foam Mattress

I just purchased the Aloe Alexis yesterday, based on the reviews on the forum, and couldn’t be more excited to get it!

Hi brianscotty,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well … and I think that you also made a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Finally got the bed put together last night (intervening vacation). Some glitches – one of the mattresses was the wrong density. Mario who responded very quickly said he’d get the right one to us right away, along with the missing latex pillows. First impressions – and I know one night is too early to have anything important to say – I love the Aloe cover. Very cool and plush. I’m getting used to the lack of firm edges – also moving from queen to king, so that’s an adjustment too. We realized that we set up the layers in the wrong order - putting the firmer on top of the less firm. Will fix. All that being said, I was very comfortable last night. Things will shake out/settle and we’ll determine if we need to change up layer firmness. I am conscious of some lower back discomfort this morning but…my upper back was bothering me yesterday so it may have just moved down my back AND I was lifting and moving bed parts.

Giving it some time and I am very optimistic. My husband who was the impetus for a new bed in the first place woke up happy. (By the way, we mentioned Mattress Underground for our 5% discount.) And there was no smell whatsoever.

Hi K-Lo,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I have noticed that my bed slopes toward the edge. I have a split king with two sets of mattresses and I find I have to physically compensate for my side being not quite level. When I sit on it (sitting dead center of my side), and I am shifting my hips to stay level. When I sleep, I feel I am sleep in an up hill or down hill direction. Currently, the whole set up is on the floor.

Any thoughts on this? It’s not pleasant.

Hi K-Lo,

I’m not sure what you mean by “two sets of mattresses”. Do you mean you have split layers? If you were sitting in the middle of the mattress and your split layers were a different firmness this would make sense but not if you were sitting in the middle of one side.

It sounds like the latex layers may not be lying completely flat or may be bunched or stretched inside their compartment. Latex is very stretchy and floppy and the best approach is to lift and “wave” it into position.

When you remove the latex layers then you can test how level the support core feels to you and then check the layers one at a time when you put them back in.

Other than that I’m not sure what could be happening and I would call and talk with them.

Phoenix

Thanks. We’ll figure it out. What I didn’t want to hear is that this is par for the course.

Hi K-Lo,

I can’t see your mattress or lie on it so I don’t know what the reason for your experience may be but it isn’t “par for the course” :).

Phoenix

I am an idiot. Plain and simple…the latex pillows were stuck underneath the mattress base.

Hi L-Lo,

Well that certainly solves that mystery … thanks for letting us know what was happening :slight_smile:

Phoenix

New replacement latex layer (28) arrived on Saturday and we arranged the bed, which is when we found the missing latex pillows. Husband seems quite happy with the new firmer side (28 - 24). Now that MY side (24-19) of the bed is no longer inclining I am far more comfortable too. I may swap a night on the other side to see if I prefer the firmer feel.

When I called Mario to explain about the missing pillows (now we have FOUR), he said keep the extra two.

Hi K-Lo,

Thanks for the update … and it seems that your “issue” with inclining turned into an unintentional “pillow bonus” :).

Phoenix

So we’ve had the Aloe Alexis 14 king for about a month. I started with the 24 below with the 19 on top. Lower back pain consistent. I flipped the mattresses and now have the 24 on top. Maybe a bit better? In the midst of this, I swapped sides with my husband who had 24 on top with 28 below. Not the best for a side sleeper. Awoke with shoulder and hip complaining. I feel a bit like Goldilocks. 24/19 too soft. 24/28 too hard. Might 24/24 be just right?..or might the lower back pain be totally unrelated?

(I was fine on my old bed with the egg carton top. Hubby was sleeping in a valley though)

Hi L-Lo,

While lower back pain can certainly be the result of a mattress that is too soft … I don’t know the cause of your specific back pain or whether it’s related to your mattress. The only way to know this would be a process of elimination if there are combinations where you don’t experience the back pain and it goes away when you sleep on different combinations.

There is normally a range of firmness levels that most people will sleep well on without any symptoms but how wide your range is depends on where you are in the “princess and the pea” to “I can sleep on anything” scale and if you are one of those that can only sleep well on a very narrow range of mattresses then finding a specific combination that is ideal for you is a little more challenging.

It may be worth trying 19 over 28 which would give you a softer sleeping surface (for pressure relief) and firmer support (for alignment). 24 over 24 would also be well worth trying (assuming that you can convince your husband to sleep on the layers that you aren’t testing for a few nights :)).

I would also give any new configuration a few days so that you can identify whether your experience is more of a pattern rather than just an anomaly for a single night or two or a residual from your previous combination.

These would be the most fine tuning you could do with 3" layers and hopefully one of these will be the right balance for you but if you still need any more fine tuning after this then I would tend to prioritize alignment (no back pain) over pressure relief (pressure points) because if you have good alignment but need some additional pressure relief then you can add a thinner topper to fine tune things even more.

Phoenix

I would say that I have not ordinarily been so finicky about a bed…but as we age… Your last paragraph about alignment v points of pressure makes sense. I’ll try it.

Well, the final and happy end is that Brooklyn Bedding shipped us two 32s and a 28. I took my husband’s 28 and sleeping on both and will probably get new “egg carton” pad. He is on the two 32s. The two 24s and the 19 will go back. It was quite a process, particularly as our bed is on the fourth floor. But we are comfortable and highly recommend Brooklyn Bedding. Excellent service.

My sister bought a latex board for a lot more money at a recommended store and decided it was too soft but, uh oh, she missed the 21 day cut off.

Hi K-Lo,

Thanks for the update …I appreciate it.

It great to hear that your layer exchange gave you several options to try and that you were able to figure out a combination that worked out well for both of you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

UPDATE:
After having our King size Aloe Alexis for a few months now, I thought I should update. I don’t notice any lopsidedness anymore, so that is not an issue.
The best thing about the bed is that many nights when I go to bed with back pain, I wake up with much less discomfort!! Other good things are:
We seem to snore less, or maybe we are sleeping deeper and not waking each other up as much :slight_smile:
The protective cover I got does it’s job very well. The mattress cover still looks as beautiful as when it arrived, and I have three dogs that enjoy the bed too.
I don’t see any imprints on my side, which I was worried about since it gets used more. (My husband is a firefighter and is at the station every third night.)
I don’t have any problem with sitting on the edges or feeling like I could roll off, like some people say about latex.
The only real complaint I have is that it is difficult to change the sheets since it so heavy.
My husband recommended this bed one of his friends at work and after he did his research, he ended up getting the same one. He has not had any complaints either.

Hi Centaurita,

Thanks for taking the time to return and share your 6 month comments and feedback as well … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s good to see that your mattress is working well for both of you!

Phoenix

Five month update…when we bought the Aloe Alexis, we moved our old inner spring mattress down to our guest room. A few nights ago, the snoring next to me got so bad that I had to leave the room. I went to our guest room and discovered, to my horror, that Brooklyn Bedding latex has spoiled me. I don’t know how I ever slept in that old bed. Next time, I’m kicking out my hubby.

This is the best bed I have ever slept in.