Classic Brands Mattress

Hello,

I am looking to buy a medium to Medium-Firm memory foam mattress ($1200ish all in for King mattress and foundation) and have found one that I like in family owned mattress store. Classic brands makes the mattress and I found a link online to the mattress I was looking at in the store:

http://www.chateaumattress.com/chantilly_11.html

Now the owner of the contacted the manufacture(classic brands) and told me the specs/density of the mattress:
1.5" 5 lbs ventilated soy based memory foam
3.5" 4 lbs soy based memory foam
3" Soy Based Comfort Foam
3" Soy Based HD Foam

Now I looked around the Classic Brands website and found this mattress (http://www.classicmattress.com/laurel.html) the laurel by posturetemp which looks EXACTLY the same, but I called classic brands and they told me the specs for this mattress is:

1.5" 4 lbs ventilated
3.5" 4 lbs memory foam
4.5" 1.8lb
3" 1.5lb

The laurel by posturetemp costs about half of the Chantilly mattresss when I found it on the sears website. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Classic Brand mattresses and if they know if these mattresses are the same and/or good quality. The family owned store did tell me that classic brands makes this mattress specially for them but I figured they just rebrand a mattress they already make. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi rmf5007,

I would also want to know the density of the bottom two polyfoam layers.

This has all the “quality” specs you need to identify any weak links and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. If you are in an “average” weight range or lower where thicker layers of medium density 4 lb memory foam are less risky (in terms of durability and PPP) then it could make a suitable choice. I would be cautious and reduce the amount of 4 lb memory foam in the comfort layers if you are in a higher weight range (about 200 lbs or higher). Assuming you have tested this mattress or one with a very similar design and/or based on your conversations with a retailer or manufacturer are confident it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP then it would certainly be worth considering as long as you are in an “average” or lower weight range and body type. If you haven’t tested a mattress in person or you aren’t sure that the design would be suitable for you then the exchange or return options may also be a more important part of your personal value equation so you still have good options available if your actual sleeping experience indicates that the mattress isn’t a good match for you.

Phoenix

Thank you. Do you know anything about classic brands if they are quality mattresses or not?

Also would you be worried that the support layers are 1.8 and 1.5 in density?

Hi rmf5007,

The quality and durability of a mattress depends on it’s construction and on the quality of the materials inside it … not the manufacturer so I would need to know the specifics of what is inside any mattress you are considering to be able to see if there are any weak links in the mattress regardless of the brand (most manufacturers make a range of mattresses in many budget ranges that use lower and higher quality materials).

The “weak link” of a mattress is usually in the comfort layers … not the support layers … but it will also depend on the weight, weight distribution, and sleeping style of the person and how much they sink into a mattress and compress each of the layers. The position and firmness of the layers can also make a difference in durability. There is more about the factors that can affect the relative durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

In most cases having a support layer of 1.8 lb density (1.8 lb density is at the bottom of the range of polyfoam that I would consider to be good quality) over another layer of firm 1.5 lb density wouldn’t be a “weak link” of a mattress and I would be more concerned with the durability of the layers above it relative to your weight.

Phoenix