Cocoon by Sealy

So it appears that the “brand names” are getting into the mattress in a box. This is a memory foam version by Sealy. When I called they said it is a 10" memory foam consisting of visco elastic with the upper level softer visco, the other levels firmer. It has two versions, soft or firm though she claimed it was more medium firm. The cover is a stretchy quilted material.

Hi Loiroi,

It’s certainly not surprising that some of the larger players in the industry are coming out with their own “simplified choice” mattress (including some of the large retailers such as the Mattress Firm Dream Bed).

Having said that … they don’t provide any meaningful information about the materials and components inside the mattress (see this article) and as you probably know from your reading here I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifications of the materials that you need to make an informed choice including the type, thickness, and the quality/density of all the foam layers inside it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, that’s what I thought as well. It just surprises me that this is the second manufacturer I spoke with that was evasive in supplying detailed information as to what the composition of their mattress is. One would hope that a manufacturer, particularly a “brand name” would be more forthcoming.

Hi Loiroi,

The major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) are generally among the least transparent in the industry and they all tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

Phoenix

This is what the chat representative told me when I asked about the densities of Cocoon:

“The Soft model has 3 layers: A 2-inch layer of our 3 lb Perfect Fit Memory Foam, another 2-inch thick Comfort Layer of memory foam, this time 2.2 lb density, and then a 6-inch layer of 1.8 lb Essential Support Foam. The Firm model has 2 layers. The top layer is the same 2-inch layer of 3 lb Perfect Fit Memory Foam, but then it is followed by an 8-inch thick layer of our 1.8 lb Reinforced Essential Support Foam.”

Hope this helps.

Hi oznefu,

Thank you for taking the time to post what the Sealy chat representative told you about their Cocoon mattress. The density of the memory foam in both models (3 lb and 2.2 lb) is lower than what I would normally recommend and I would advise caution for anyone considering these two particular mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks for providing your expert opinion. I am currently within the trial phase with a Cocoon by Sealy. I went with the firm over the soft for added support as I have some lower back issues. Getting some pressure point pain across shoulders so definitely not working out for me. Build quality seems great. But unless you’re young and healthy, I’m not sold on these ‘bed in a box’ solutions. Going to spend more and consider it an investment in my health.

Hi Straze,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

“Boxed bed” mattresses can work for all populations, but like anything it is personal as to the comfort preference, and durability varies with the quality of materials being used. As is the case with the Cocoon you currently have, the memory foam is below the durability guidelines here of what I normally recommend.

While younger people may be able to tolerate wider variances in support characteristics (it does seem like we were more “rubber” than “plastic” when younger :lol: ), proper support is important for postural maintenance and restoration, regardless of age.

Phoenix