Coil mattress without motion transfer?

Hello,

Are there any coil/spring mattress that do not have any (or have very little) motion transfer?

Thanks!

Hi Jamie,

The most general answer is yes, there are coil/spring mattresses designed to minimize motion transfer. They often incorporate pocketed coils or individually wrapped coils.

Pocketed coils are each encased in fabric, allowing them to move independently of one another. This design helps to isolate motion, so when one person moves on their side of the bed, the motion doesn’t transfer as much to the other person’s side.

Additionally, when some coil mattresses incorporate layers of foam or other materials above the coils that further absorb and minimize the motion transfer.

Memory foam, which I am not the biggest fan of does an excellent job of reducing motion transfer as it is by nature the characteristic of the foam.

The following foams are generally accepted as best at reducing motion transfer, but there are some drawbacks and “feel” differences with each.
Foam mattresses are generally better at reducing motion transfer compared to traditional innerspring mattresses. The effectiveness of foam in reducing motion transfer can vary depending on the type and density of the foam. Here’s a list of common foam types in order of most effective to least effective at reducing motion transfer:

1. Memory Foam: Memory foam is renowned for its ability to absorb motion and isolate it, making it one of the best options for reducing motion transfer. Its viscoelastic properties allow it to contour to the body and absorb movements, preventing them from being felt across the mattress.

2. Latex Foam: Latex foam also performs well in reducing motion transfer, although it may not be as effective as memory foam. Latex foam is resilient and supportive, yet it still provides some level of motion isolation.

3. High-Density Polyfoam: High-density polyurethane foam, often used as a support layer in mattresses, can help reduce motion transfer to a certain extent. However, it may not offer as much motion isolation as memory foam or latex foam.

4. Low-Density Polyfoam: Low-density polyfoam is less effective at reducing motion transfer compared to higher-density foams. It tends to be softer and less supportive, which can result in more motion being transferred across the mattress.

As mentioned, try to avoid viscoelastic memory foam, particularly if you sleep hot, do not like to sink too deep into the mattress, and you are someone who might struggle to get out of bed. I added a tempurpedic memory foam topper to a previous mattress and my wife absolutely hated it. She complained she couldnt move in the mattress and felt as if she was being swallowed by slow moving quick sand.

I did not mention twin xl’s to form a king, but that is an option. Additionally, most of the Trusted Members here offer mattresses that have split internal comfort layers. Many of them utilize latex, which is #2 on my motion isolation list. They would be the authorities on collaborating with you to find a mattress that matches your PPP’s, body profiles and comfort levels. @Sleep_EZ, @Arizona_Premium, @CST, @FloBeds can speak to finding a latex combination that will suit your needs.

@DLX does not use latex in the Premier Hybrid, but I can say from personal experience, when I installed a queen DLX Hybrid for my elderly MiLaw, my wife and I tested the mattress firmness (one side firm, the other medium) and we could barely feel each other moving around on the mattress. As an internally split queen, I found that to be quite impressive. I do remember hearing that they plan to create a latex mattress in their upcoming lineup.

Hopefully, this helps with understanding about motion isolation and the materials best suited for the job.

All the best,

Maverick

1 Like

Maverick has covered this very well; pocketed coils help with motion transfer.

Be sure to compare how many coils there are when comparing models, as obviously if you have more coils it would help even more.

Be careful that those coils aren’t micro coils when adding up the coil count, though.

Some mattresses have double rows of coils, which again, will help reduce the motion transfer.

A split model would probably help as well.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

@jferrandi @TheCleanBedroom.

Sorry Katie, I did not mean to leave you off the list of TM’s with split internals. Too much sun today at the Tulip picking farm. Thank you for the follow up advice as it points out valuable insight. You are always around when I forget stuff. :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Maverick

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I think my husband will be content with whatever I choose so I don’t think we will need the split… I sound like your wife, hate the sinking feeling, never feel supported or that my spine is in alignment (side sleeper)!.. Since I hate our tempurpedic mattress, do you think a latex topper on a pocketed coil mattress would be the best solution? How do you know if the coils are micro or not?!

I was considering just trying something from Costco since their return policy is so amazing, but only if I can find something fitting this description

I could be wrong but I suspect you try to avoid recommending an actual brand, but can you think of a firm mattress that has these pocketed coils and a latex topper? Also, are there any highly recommended mattress with my requirements that are adjustable? That seems so cool to be able to raise the head while watching tv for instance… Sorry, I feel like I am getting greedy with all the questions, I am grateful for anything you want to answer!

1 Like

Hi again,
What you are describing (latex topper with pocketed coils beneath) sounds like a hybrid mattress. The coils give support and the latex on top provides cushioning. As far as coils being micro, some brands use them as a sub for latex - I know Naturepedic uses them in their latex-free hybrids then uses regular size coils for the layer underneath. It would say so usually in the company material, but you can also tell by the size. Naturepedic’s micro coils are 1.5" and 3".

I would check with individual vendors - I know most of our mattresses can be used on an adjustable bed. Having the individually pocketed springs is important for that purpose as well. Adjustable beds are very convenient and great for health reasons also.

1 Like

Pocket coils are designed to significantly reduce motion transfer which they do but if you or your partner is very sensitive to motion transfer then might I suggest a full latex mattress instead of the hybrid. There is almost no motion transfer with full latex as long as it’s sitting on a solid support base. Stay away from actual box springs and slat bases that the slats curve upwards

1 Like

Thank you for your advice! But does an all latex mattress feel and perform like a memory foam? I want to avoid that sinking feeling….

Not a chance, memory foam just sinks. Latex foam floats your body

3 Likes

I second what @Arizona_Premium says. I’ve slept on both and there is no comparison. Latex is much more durable. You can also customize it to the amount of firmness you need.

2 Likes