ComforPedic Quesitons

I think we’ve settled on buying a ComforPedic Renewed Energy Plush Firm. I have a couple of questions for all you experts:

1. I saw in one review that this particular mattress was recently redesigned somehow … so the mattress that is shipped to us may not be the same feel as the mattress that we laid on in the store. Is this true?

2. We want to make sure that we are getting a new mattress and not a mattress that had been returned by someone else. What is the best way to ensure this? How should the mattress be shipped? Is it shipped in a box?

Thanks for your help!

Hi LoveWarrior,

If the mattress you receive has the same materials and is the same name and model as the one in the showroom (it would be listed on the law tag) then it would be the same. A new mattress will generally be firmer than a showroom model that has already been broken in though and it will take a little time for any new mattress to break in (generally from about a couple of weeks to in some cases up to about 90 days or so depending on the mattress and the materials inside it).

Different retailers or manufacturers may use different shipping and packaging methods (often several layers of tough plastic wrapping) but the construction date of the mattress will be listed on the law tag as well so you can make sure that it’s relatively new or “fresh”. Your assurance that you are receiving a new mattress is generally the integrity and reputation of the retailer and of course I would make sure that they are an authorized dealer for the manufacturer of the mattress you are buying as well and that the mattress is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty. Comfort or warranty exchanges are used mattresses and aren’t covered by a manufacturers warranty and will generally have a yellow or red tag (instead of a white one that says “all new materials”) to indicate they are either rebuilt or sanitized before being re-sold.

Have you read the tutorial post here and have you made sure that you know the quality/density of all the layers and components in your new mattress to make sure it doesn’t have any low quality materials or “weak links” that can soften or break down prematurely?

Phoenix

Thanks for the information.

We are both side sleepers who have been sleeping on a TempurPedic for 10 years. We love our TP, but it’s time for it to be replaced. It’s getting a bit hard and there is new technology that sleeps cooler. We need something a bit softer and all the new TPs seem too firm to us. The ComforPedic Renewed Energy Plush Firm is at the top of the list so far … however, we did encounter a St George Shores mattress that is being sold at Ashley Furniture that rocked. I posted about that a couple days ago and saw your response. We will most likely not buy that mattress as Ashley isn’t known for selling the best quality furniture.

I did take a look through the tutorials. The general consensus seems to be steering people to Latex mattresses. If we went that direction, a talalaly would most likely be our choice … but, there is no place in Austin that I can find to test one out and were just not going to buy a mattresses that we have not tested. If you happen to know of a place, I’d be much obliged to know. I realize that even mattresses in stores may feel different than a mattress that we receive, but at least we get a general feel for it. Plus one of us tosses and turns quite a bit during the night and foam mattresses offer less motion transference.

I could not find the density ratings on the ComforPedic Renewed Energy Plush Firm either … but, I have an inquiry into the manufacturer and am expecting a response sometime today.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Hi LoveWarrior,

This would only be true if latex was your preference over other materials. The goal is to make sure that the materials in your mattress are good quality and durable no matter which type of material you prefer. All materials have higher quality more durable and lower quality less durable versions.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Austin area are listed in post #2 here.

It would be great if they provided these but it’s unlikely that they will.

Phoenix

I gotta say, for the first time in my search for a quality mattress at a reasonable price, I feel informed and more empowered because of this forum and your excellent replies. THANK YOU!

On my schedule for tomorrow is making a visit to Austin Mattress and Sleep World.

Not sure if you are interested, but I did get a reply from ComforPedic on my inquiry regarding the density of foam in their Renewed Energy Plush Firm. Here is what they wrote:

Renewed Energy
1" 4.0lb. air cool memory foam with trutemp gel, 1.5" 1.65lb air cool memory foam, and 2" 4.5lb aircool memory foam.

EDIT: By the way, I still have the email that ComforPedic’s customer service sent me. I’ll hang on to it for a couple days. If you want a copy of it, I’d be happy to forward you the email. Just let me know.

Hi LoveWarrior,

[quote]Not sure if you are interested, but I did get a reply from ComforPedic on my inquiry regarding the density of foam in their Renewed Energy Plush Firm. Here is what they wrote:

Renewed Energy
1" 4.0lb. air cool memory foam with trutemp gel, 1.5" 1.65lb air cool memory foam, and 2" 4.5lb aircool memory foam.[/quote]

I’m glad to see that they at least provided you with information about some of the layers but there is still some information missing …

1" 4.0lb. air cool memory foam with trutemp gel: This is a medium quality/density memory foam.
1.5" 1.65lb air cool memory foam: This seems to be a polyfoam density not a memory foam density. If this is correct and the layer is really memory foam then it is very low quality/density.
2" 4.5lb aircool memory foam: This is also in a medium quality/density range
2" Independent Support Foam: The information about the type and quality of this foam layer is missing
AirCool Transflexion Core Base: The information about the type and quality of the foam support core is also missing.

It’s often easier to find out the quality/density of the specialty foams such as memory foam or latex in a mattress but it can be more difficult to find out the information you need about the other layers. The memory foam densities of two of the layers are above the minimum I tend to suggest (4 lbs) and would be suitable for average weight ranges although I would be cautious about thicker layers of memory foam in the 4 lb range or less with higher weights. I would definitely want to clarify the 1.65 lb layer as well and find out the information about the rest of the layers before I considered this mattress. Once you have the all the information you need you can make more meaningful quality/value comparisons with other mattresses that use the same or better quality materials

If you could send it to the contact email at the top of the page it would be great.

I’m looking forward to your feedback about your visit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well, we bought a 10" Restonic Latex/Polyfoam hybrid mattress from Austin Mattress this morning. It has 3/4" of dacron batting in the quilting, on top of 5" of 26lb talalay latex on top of 5" of 30lb polyfoam core. We got is for $1,546. Was that a good deal?

PS:
For all you other Texans out there that are reading this, please know that if you get a doctor’s prescription for a new mattress because of back and/or neck pain, the mattress then becomes a medical device and is tax free. You must have a script from your doctor to give to the store.

Hi LoveWarrior,

I really can’t say much about the “value” of your purchase because I don’t know the size you purchased, what else besides the mattress was included in the purchase, or what else you were comparing it to. I also don’t know the blend of the latex, the type of cover, or the density of the polyfoam in the base layer.

While I would want to know the density of the base polyfoam layers … it seems to me that there are no obvious weak links in the mattress and Restonic latex mattresses are typically in a “better than average” value range compared to other major brands.

The “value” of a mattress purchase (and I look at the total purchase not just the mattress) is relative to what else is available to you that you are considering as one of your “finalists” and on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The “best deal” is the mattress that is the “best value” for you but if you tested this mattress carefully and objectively and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP, you have confirmed that all the materials are good quality and there are no weak links in the mattress, and all the other parts of your personal value equation point to this purchase as being “best value” for you compared to the other mattresses you were considering, then you did well IMO.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Here are the specs:
3/4" of dacron batting in the quilting, on top of 5" of 26lb 30/70 blended talalay latex on top of 5" of 30lb 2lb density polyfoam core. King size for $1,546. Delivery was another $60. Was that a good value?

Hi LoveWarrior,

It would depend on what else was available to you, what mattresses you are comparing it to, and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you but in terms of the price alone (which is only one part of the value of a mattress purchase and arguably not the most important part) it certainly sounds very reasonable and “good value” to me. As an example of a similar “major brand” mattress … you can see the price of the Sealy Optimum Brasswood here which is similar to the mattress you purchased and also has 5" of latex over a good quality/density polyfoam support core and has a listed price of $2900 (king) and another similar example is the Pure Latex Bliss Celebrate which also has 5" of Talalay latex over a high quality support core and also has a listed price of $2600 (although both mattresses are a little different and the final price for both mattresses would probably be a little less, they are reasonable “value comparisons” in terms of price).

Assuming that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you … then I would say you did well :slight_smile:

Phoenix