Comfort layer compression on new mattress

We recently bought a Denver Mattress Doctor’s Choice Plush. From a comfort perspective, we like it. However, there are already body impressions in the mattress. Additionally, the side where I climb into and out of bed has a noticeable indentation. From the exterior, you can see it depressed and buckling out over the coil portion of the mattress We’ve only had it for 2.5 months and both of us have BMIs around 21.

The specs on the mattress were on the low end, but seemed reasonable for our BMI. I’ve noted them below. Is this sort of break-in expected?

Quilt layers:
Micro Denier Jacquard Ticking
1" EF Foam
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier[sub][/sub]
Comfort Layers:
2 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
The B.O.S.S.®
(Balanced Orthopedic Sleep System)
Coil Density: 750 Alternating Checkerboard Coils
14.5 Gauge Twice Tempered Steel

I wouldn’t think that any body impression showing up within 90 days of use would be expected!

However, my concern with the construction you have would be that there are 2 different layers of convoluted foam. Convoluted foam isn’t all bad, but it does remove material out of the core and those little peaks can lose their shape in a hurry - certainly compared to solid slabs but even to other methods of surface modification.

The biggest concern might be that you really can’t know the base and peak ratio. For example, in the 2.5" Convoluted Comfort Layer, the peak measurement would be 2.5". But where do the peaks start? Manufacturers can control the base/peak ratio - the more the difference, the more cost is saved. So, they could technically make a 2.5" convoluted layer that only has a 0.5" base measurement, meaning they got two 2.5" pieces out of only 3" of foam. Sounds great from a financial savings potential, but if you have a 2" difference i nthe base/peak ratio, that means if the peaks fail, you’ve got potentially 2" of body impressions headed your way. On the other hand, if they do a 2" base with a 2.5" peak, there’s less savings for them, but only 0.5" of little peaks that could get compromised.

All that to say… convoluted foam can get a little messy. Again, there’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s always important to responsibly manage the base/peak ratio. So if you see convoluted foam either advertised or photographed, feel free to ask what the base/peak ratio is. If the manufacturer doesn’t know or won’t tell you, that’s a red flag.

Thanks very much for the explanation. I only now made the connection that convoluted foam is the same as “egg crate” toppers that I used to see as a kid. I am going to stop by the store on my way home and ask what the base/peak ratio is.

You’re welcome!

And remember, the convoluted foam may not be the problem. The store should be made aware of your situation regardless!

Hi Comfort Option,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the useful details and perspective on convoluted foams that Comfort Option and parent company - FoamCraft brings to TMU. The experience that comes with more than 65 years of foam fabrication and working with different foam types and applications is an asset to TMU community. Thanks for joining!

Phoenix