Comfort layer for Latex mattress

Hello - Thank you for sharing a wealth of information. It’s very helpful and provides so much guidance. We have narrowed our search down to an all latex mattress. While shopping locally, we settled on the 45th Street Bedding Woodlawn Firm priced in store at $2099. It is made with 6" Dunlop latex, 1.5" comfort layer (I think), .5" wool blend fiber, and a rayon fire barrier.

After reviewing more online options, I became concerned that the 1.5" comfort layer may not be thick enough to remain comfortable. It seems many mattress companies offer 3" of the comfort layer. In particular, I was looking at CozyPure and Flobeds. Since the 45th Street bedding is flippable, it makes sense that they would have a shallower comfort layer (based on your previous #2 post). Should we be concerned, however, that the bed will become too firm over time? Finally, are there other online retailers we should consider? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Hi yudiseattle,

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials but all foam will gradually become softer over time not firmer. The thickness of a comfort layer is only one of many factors that determines the softness or firmness of a mattress so by itself it means very little. Careful and objective testing will tell you much more about whether a mattress is a suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) than the thickness of the comfort layer or any of the other individual “comfort specs”.

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell all latex and latex hybrid mattresses online that are among the better online options I’m aware of (in the “optional online” step). They include a wide variety of different designs, types of latex, features, and price ranges.

There is also more in posts #2 and #3 here and the post it links to about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the response. To clarify, I guess I’m really asking whether the 1.5" comfort layer as described seems like a “weaker link” than the cozypure 3" layer. I recognize that the comfort layer does not get more firm but it’s my understanding that as it breaks down, we will be resting more on the 6" core which is more firm. Neither store seems to be able to give me a pro con list of the two beds and it’s difficult for a newbie to sort out what differences will really matter.

Hi ydiseattle,

The thickness of a latex comfort layer by itself will have little to nothing to do with whether the mattress has a weak link or make it inherently more or less durable if the type and blend of the latex is the same. The thickness of a particular latex layer along with many other “comfort specs” that are part of the design of a mattress will primarily affect the feel and performance of the mattress.

You can read more about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix