Company reputation

I’m looking to purchase a latex mattress and found Ameriasleep online. I checked with the BBB and found they have a C- rating I attempted to look up reviews but read that some companies flood the internet with good reviews. Is there a good independent site I can go to so I can check out the reputation of the company? I tried Consumer Reports but did not see their mattress rated. .

Hi Jack3958,

Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), a mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. Once you know the specifics of what is inside a mattress (see this article), you can identify any weak links in the materials and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. Without this information you would be making a completely blind purchase which is very risky. I would also pay little attention to reviews about mattresses (unlike reviews about a business) because almost all consumers (and most mainstream retailers as well) have no idea about the quality of the materials inside a mattress they purchase. In addition to this … regardless of the quality or price of a mattress … a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here about mattress reviews).

You can see some of my thoughts about Amerisleep and some of its sister companies in post #2 here and the posts it links to. There are certainly better options available IMO.

I would start your research with the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible purchase … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. It also has a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam manufacturers and retailers I’m aware of that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix