Compare Alexander Hybrid to Alexander Signature

Hi there- I have been researching mattresses for a long time. I believe I have narrowed my selection down to one company and two mattresses: Nest Bedding- Alexander Hybrid and Alexander Signature.
I am a side sleeper; 5’ 5", weigh approx. 130-140 lbs; prefer a good edge support, good pressure release, and minimal off-gassing. I’m very active and work out almost daily. I am also 50+ and tend towards hot flashing at night…I think I would like enough support so I can roll over and not need to visit my chiropractor!
Nest Bedding has a nice trial period (100 days) and good return policy. I can also finance the purchase if need be. The warranty period is also very nice (20 yr).
My dilemma is this: in showrooms, I tend to like “plush” mattresses, but also understand they have had their “broken-in” periods. And since there is not a Nest bedding store for me to actually visit, I have no idea how to choose between the 2 mattresses. I have been sleeping on a sofa for 7 years and the mattress I do have is as hard as the floor. NOT good! My shoulders, hips, knees and ankles can’t take it…
It seems the Hybrid only comes in Firm or Medium support, but the Signature comes in these AND soft. I just have no idea how to determine between the two, as to how soft the medium is in the Hybrid- or how soft the soft is in the Signature.
Any helpful advice or suggestions?
Thanks!

Hi shaun44,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While there are similarities between these two mattresses (and I know you’re not seeking a detailed analysis here), in a nutshell the biggest difference would be the use of a pocketed coil spring unit in the hybrid line versus a polyfoam core in the Signature Series.

As for which to select, when you can’t test a mattress in person the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing (or sleeping on a couch and not liking a hard mattress), a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase.

You are correct that the Hybrid is offered in a Luxury Firm and Medium designation, while the Signature comes in Soft, Medium or Luxury Firm. A phone call with one of the Nest Bedding comfort consultants would be the best way to “relate” one model to the other, as the terms of softness that manufacturers use are not standardized and are more for relating one item to another within a specific lineup.

I would expect that you will have a period of adjustment to any new mattress you’re considering, having spent so much time sleeping on a couch. Being a side sleeper, I think you’re already aware you probably won’t want something that is too hard on top, but also you’ll want to avoid something that is too soft that lets you sink in too deeply. The people at Nest will be the best to provide you with options that they genuinely think will best suit your needs. And as you mentioned, they do have options in case what you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you had hoped.

You also mentioned about not being able to test out their mattresses. Nest has opened some showrooms, with most being in California (there is a list of showrooms on the top menu on their web site). I think you may be located in Virginia, and they do list a few AirBnB partners in Virginia where you may be able to go test out a few of their models.

Hopefully all of that is assistive to you.

Phoenix