Comparing nova form with the Sealy optimum mattress

Hi,

So far I have had two friends recommend mattresses. One recommended the sealy optimum gel foam and the other recommended the nova form sera fina memory foam. I have researched both but I am having a difficult time deciding. I have also been considering the sleep # but don’t know much about air beds. Also trying to figure out where to buy from. So confused! Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Sherryleb79,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and learn how and why to avoid the worst ones (including both of the manufacturers you mentioned).

I would keep in mind that a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on which is why I would take specific suggestions from friends (who may know very little about the quality of a mattress) or online reviews with a big grain of salt (see post #13 here). The goal of a mattress purchase is to find a mattress that is the best match for you regardless of how well it works for someone else. I would also make sure you know the quality of the materials inside any mattress you consider so you can identify any weak links and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. No matter how a mattress feels and performs initially … if it uses lower quality materials that will soften, compress, or break down too quickly relative to the price you paid (which can sometimes happen in only a few years and in some cases only a few months) then there would be little value in buying it.

You can read my thoughts about airbeds in this article.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and the tutorial post also includes links to some of the better online options I’m aware of as well if you are comfortable looking in that direction.

Phoenix

Yes please! I live in Norco Louisiana 70079. It’s about half hour from New Orleans. Thanks so much!

Btw…ruled out air beds. Thanks for the article.

Hi Sherryleb79,

While there isn’t a specific forum list for Norco, LA … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the general New Orleans and Metairie area are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

So finally went ahead and decided to give the nova form sera final mattress a try. First nights sleep and my back is killing me this morning. It is just too firm. It’s a really nice mattress just afraid it’s gonna be too firm for me. Would you be able to suggest a few mattresses that are the same quality just a little less firm, more plushness? Back to researching!

Hi Sherryleb79,

I’m not so sure I would agree that it’s a “really nice mattress” since it has 3" of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality material than I would consider in your budget range.

I would look for better quality than the Serafina not the same quality.

Firmness and softness are very subjective and what is too firm for one person may be too soft for the next (or vice versa). The only two ways to choose the mattress that is best for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is either with your own careful and objective testing at a local store or a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online provider that has your best interests at heart and can help you choose which of the mattresses they carry has the best chance of being a good match for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would encourage you to follow the steps and guidelines in the tutorial post.

Phoenix