Confused about mattress companies

We are looking for a new mattress and would like to purchase factory direct. Living in Oregon, the nearest I could locate was Parklane in Tualatin. While searching for factory direct mattresses, I also found a website for Northwest Sleep. The site is very similar to Parklane’s in format, and both Northwest Sleep and Parklane are said to have previously made mattresses in the Portland area under the name of Paramount Bedding. I am confused. Are Parklane and Northwest Sleep the same company or related in some way?

Hi Suza,

Parklane Mattresses is a DBA of Paramount Bedding and Paramount was their original name before they began selling direct to consumers and became known as just Parklane Mattresses. You can see a little of their history here. There is also a Paramount Sleep in Norfolk, VA and a Paramount Mattress which is based in Los Angeles, CA neither of which are connected with Parklane.

Northwest Sleep is a retailer in Delta, BC which sells mattresses made by Parklane Mattresses (which is why their site looks similar). They are also not be confused with Northwest Bedding which is a manufacturer in Spokane, WA.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Portland area are listed in post #2 here and includes Parklane who are one of the members of this site which means I think very highly of them in terms of their quality, value, and service and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. You’ve cleared up my confusion about Parklane, Northwest Sleep and Paramount.

We will be journeying to Portland soon to do some investigating. Parklane sounds like a good place to start. We have tested some Serta and Simmons mattresses (best choices at dealers in our area (Southern Oregon Coast). won’t be purchasing one of them as we expect better value for our $$$. Such is the retail world! Willing to pay $2,000 to 3,000 to get a quality bed and a good night’s sleep.

Got a good idea of what comfort level we are looking for and narrowed out choice to innerspring/Latex. None of the mattresses we tried were Latex, so we are anxious to try one that is. Is it true that Latex foam is does not sleep warm like poly/memory foam? Less or no off-gassing?

We discovered Charles P Rogers mattresses and are “theoretically” impressed with them, but not willing to make the trip to NYC and definitely don’t want to buy without trying.

Can you offer any suggestions regarding mattress configurations? Of the models we tested, it seems a medium firmness is appropriate. I am 5’7, 160#, my husband 6’2", 180#. We are combination sleepers - me mostly on my side; he sleeps mostly on his back. Looking to get another Queen. Our bedroom would easily accommodate a King, but I’m not crazy about buying all new bedding, tat could easily double the cost of a new bed.

I’m leaning toward a pocketed coil with Latex top. The Simmons that seemed the best fit was the “Black Line” Kelsey. But, at over $3,000 I think we could do much better not paying retail, for the same or better quality.

Regarding coils:

I’ve read that most all mattresses use coils manufactured by Leggett & Platt. Simmons makes their own coils as does Charles P Rogers. Also read that while Leggett and Platt is an American Co, and has been making coils for decades, they now outsource to China and abroad. So many different things to consider. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

I doubt there are any manufacturers outside the Portland area, but do you know of any stores selling factory direct elsewhere (Eugene, Medford, somewhere in the Willamette Valley).

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Hi Suza,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones including any manufacturer or mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it (see this article).

Yes … latex in general is the most breathable of the different types of foam materials but there are also other factors that can affect sleeping temperature besides just the type of foam that is in a mattress that can have just as big an effect (see post #2 here).

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay made with natural or synthetic latex or a blend of the two) has also been certified by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for harmful substances and VOC’s so you have the assurance of knowing that it is “safe”. All foam materials have some offgassing or odor but the certification it has is the best way to make sure that any offgassing isn’t harmful. CertiPur is the certification that you will generally see with polyfoam and memory foam and for most people a CertiPur certification would also be “safe enough” although some people who are more sensitive or have health conditions such as MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) or who prefer more natural materials for personal reasons may still choose to avoid memory foam or polyfoam because based on anecdotal reports some people may still be sensitive even with foams that have a certification.

There are too many unknowns, variables, or personal preferences involved to use a formula or “theory at a distance” based on specs (either for you or a mattress) to choose a mattress or for anyone else to know which mattress may be “best for you” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The only two ways I know to that are effective to choose a suitable mattress are either with careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (for a local choice) or with more detailed conversation with an online provider when you can’t test the specific mattress you are considering in person (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about innersprings in this article and post #10 here but an innerspring is just one component in a mattress and whether a specific innerspring mattress is suitable for you depends on all the specifics of the mattress layers and components and how they interact together … not just the innersprings. Once again your personal testing is the best way to choose which mattress is best for you.

Some of the better options or possibilities in Oregon I’m aware of outside of the Portland area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks. I have read the tutorial, but will read it again. Also plan to browse the forum before we head North to check our options. I feel the more information I gather prior to testing, the easier it will be to narrow the number of possible choices.

Have already removed Solid foam mattress from our list as I don’t like the sinking feel with no rebound. We have a 3" memory foam (Costco grade) on our stock RV innerspring mattress in our fifth wheel and like the soft cradling, but it does, indeed, sleep warmer which is often not a bad thing when camping. I have yet to try Latex, but understand it has a very different feel from polyfoam. Considering our comfort wants and sleeping styles that a pocketed coil with medium/plush latex comfort layers will be where we start. Fortunately, this will be well within our budget, providing we choose factory direct.

Hope to have a new bed by the end of April.

Hi Suza,

The resilience of a foam mattress would depend on the type of foam that was used. Memory foam has little to no resilience but polyfoam is a fast response more resilient foam and latex is more resilient and “springy/bouncy” than both of them.

You certainly have plenty of room in your budget and plenty of time to do some good testing and make a great choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for your encouragement and helpful advice. I will report back on our findings and ultimate decision.