Considering Alternatives for Comfort Layer

My wife and I are currently sleeping on a 12" mattress: two 3" dunlop layers at the base, one VZone layer, and a 3" soft Talalay layer on top. We are both struggling with the squishiness of the Talalay topper and are seeking a replacement.

We are both side sleepers. I am 6’2, 235 (broad shouldered w a partially torn rotator cuff). My wife is 5’6", 160 (with narrow, tight hips). We went with the VZone layer because of the customization. The 3" soft layer was intended to help provide additional cushioning for my shoulder, but it’s throwing us out of alignment. For additional context, we have tried swapping the two top layers but with the VZone up top, my arms were falling asleep

As we are looking at new solutions, I’m curious about two things:

1. How would a 2" topper change our experience? Would a thinner soft layer get us to “access” the Vzone more effectively than the 3"? Would going both thinner and firmer in the comfort layer represent an overcorrection? I realize that may be subjective, but I’m ultimately trying to understand how thickness alone may be affecting our experience.

2. We’re looking to avoid the squishy feeling from the Talalay, and I’m interested in how a few alternatives might affect us based on our situation described above. I’m curious about what we might expect between Wool, Shredded Latex (or a similar product like LaNoodle), or any hybrids (wool-wrapped latex, for instance).

I know it’s hard, but important, to choose the right words. I think what we’re after is a “slow, cradled support,” rather than the “fast smoosh” we’re currently experiencing.

A dunlop latex top layer may give you the cradled and supportive feeling you seek, and still give you cushioning. Wool-wrapped latex would also give you that, and you would also have all the temperature regulation benefits of wool. I cannot speak to the Vzone, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck! --Katie