Consumer Alert: Avoid Sleep # like the Plague!

I really wish I had found this site before purchasing with Sleep #. Hopefully you won’t make the same mistake. I had a couple positive testimonials from family members that eased my concerns pre-purchase. Things went south upon delivery.

They told me to expect 5 boxes. Five boxes shipped, and we received them all. Being impractical to open and sort out all the components before having the old bed out of the way, we removed the old bed, and cut our old 4 inch memory foam topper in half for our teen sons. Big mistake.

I assembled the rotomolded modular foundation. Mistake 2. I discovered they didn’t send me all the components, but by this time it was after hours weekend. I tried their online chat service since their telephone customer service was closed. The person basically told me to wait until I get the rest, and that I’ll get it when I get it! My local Sleep # store was still open so I called my salesman, who has skin in the game in the form of his commission check. He expressed concern that they would ship an incomplete product, and was able to tell me his system showed the missing parts on back-order status. He committed to sending an email to their leads department with hopes they could resolve the situation first thing Monday, and suggested I follow-up with a call to customer service Monday.

The customer service rep refused to give any indication as to when my missing parts would ship. I stated I could accept if they’re ready to ship and are awaiting UPS pickup, but otherwise I need to know a timeframe as to when they expect to have it ready to ship. The rep lied and told me it was ready to ship. I pressed for a timeframe for pickup if the parts were ready to ship considering my salesman’s system showed a backorder status. She dodged. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The rep put me on hold, and upon returning, told me the supervisor was too busy to speak with me, but authorized a $200 discount, and told the rep to send an email to their leads department to “expedite”. She told me leads requires 5-7 business days before they will respond, and that there are no guarantees of resolution after that. Since when is “wait a week” while we decide whether to assist you called “expedite” I asked for the supervisor again, and was refused. I told them to refund my purchase and come get the parts they shipped if a supervisor doesn’t get on the phone with me. The supervisor was just as indifferent, and only served to verify the rep had lied to me, and that the status was NOT ready to ship, and that they would give absolutely no indication as to when they might ship the remaining parts.

So it was off to a very long wait on hold for the returns department. The woman in the returns department indicated they have begun shipping incomplete beds as normal procedure, and it has blown up the returns department. I had paid part cash and part Sleep # financing through Synchrony Bank. Instead of simply refunding the financed portion directly to the financial institution, they insist on cutting a check to me to repay the financial institution…and prolonging the process. I have to wait for their home delivery department to schedule a pickup. Then once they’ve acquired the partial bed, they will cut two separate checks. First they will cut a check for the financed portion. Then they will wait and cut the check for my cash portion. The state recycling fee and UPS shipping are non-refundable. However, I pressed the fact they didn’t even deliver the complete bed, and the rep did a work-around to refund those in yet a third check. She told me I was getting a full refund, but the numbers didn’t add up. I had also purchased a “total encasement” protective pad/bag. They consider that bedding which home delivery can’t recover. I could either wait for them to send a return label, ship it, await their receipt, and then weeks after that for a 4th check, or I could take it to the store for a store credit. They do not refund cash for ANYTHING at stores! I pressed, and she told me the store could take the return and trigger a that 4th check a little faster.

So bottom line is I’m now without a bed, and out of funds to buy a bed for at least a month while Select Comfort company drags its feet on my return. I’m glad that this happened at this point though. If they don’t care about their customers before they have even fulfilled their order, how much worse would service had been once they had my money and I was beyond the refund period???!!! Now I have some time to do better research on this site before making a purchase.

Hi Huarachon,

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences with Sleep Number but I appreciate you taking the time to share them.

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in general this article. While any mattress can be a good match for a specific person because each person’s needs and preferences or the criteria that are most important to them can be very different … in general terms I would tend to avoid them unless there is a very compelling reason that an airbed would be a better choice for you in “real life” (outside of the many “marketing stories” that you will hear about them) than the many other options or types of mattresses that are available to you.

If you are committed to an airbed and you are convinced that there are no other types of mattresses that will meet your criteria then there are some other airbed options that are listed in post #3 here that may be much better quality/value choices than Sleep Number/Select Comfort.

Now that you are starting over again the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thanks phoenix.

It’s even worse than I thought. Their “home delivery” department didn’t call to schedule the return in the timeframe promised. I called. They said there’s a hold on my account preventing them from scheduling a pickup. I asked for a supervisor. They refused access to a supervisor, period. I asked if denying access to supervisors is a standard company procedure, they denied it. They said customer service has no clue why there’s a hold on the account, that customer service has to email the “order management” department to investigate the hold and remove it, and then customer service has to notify home delivery they can proceed with scheduling a pickup. They transferred me to customer service. Customer service gave me the same line. Both departments refused me access to “order management” and refused to give any timeframe for this process to play out. It’s like the company is intentionally making a return as painful as possible and take as long as possible!!! Beyond furious!

Hi Huarachon,

I’m certainly curious about the reason for the “hold” and I hope that they can resolve it and that you are able to return your mattress and receive your refund without any more delays.so you will be able to purchase a new one as soon as possible.

In the meantime it would probably be a good idea to start the research process into your next mattress as well so that by the time you receive your refund that much of your research will already be done.

Phoenix

Well I discovered the apparent reason they put a hold on the account blocking pickup and return of the incomplete bed. Out of the blue, UPS arrived with a big Sleep# box today. Select Comfort Company put a hold on the account and blocked the return to disregard the fact I told them to take back what they sent & process my refund, and to buy themselves time to send more bed parts anyway! After the horrible experience with their people, they thought they could stall on the return/refund and ram the rest of the bed down my throat (without ever communicating with me about any of it). Naturally I refused the box from UPS. Now suddenly the same day, the hold is lifted and they called to scheduled the return…in another 9 days. So they stalled 8 days, and when I didn’t give in, they schedule a pickup 9 days out, and I won’t get my refund for at least a couple weeks beyond that! For those reading, save yourself the headaches and don’t deal with Select Comfort/Sleep # in the first place!!!

At least I found this site to better research the bed we’ll end up purchasing once we finally get refunded.

Hi Huarachon,

Thanks for the update and for clarifying the reason for the hold.

While I doubt that there was any intentional effort to delay your refund … it certainly sounds like the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing (to say the least) and from your perspective it ends up with the same frustration and result anyway … a delayed refund.

I’m looking forward to an update that indicates you have received your complete refund so you can finally buy a new mattress!

Phoenix