Consumer membership in The Mattress Underground

CDASENT - Sorry to hear about the problems with your mattress. The Somnigel line which was sold by Sleepy’s was manufactured by King Koil, and Sleepy’s has been bought out by Mattress Firm. So I’d suggest that you start by contacting Mattress Firm. I don’t believe that they’re currently representing the King Koil brand so if they can’t help you then contact King Koil directly for manufacturer support. Hopefully you’ve used a good quality mattress protector to keep it clean because in general any mattress warranty is invalid if the mattress is soiled in any way. Hope this helps, good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.
King Koil Customer Service

Hi CDASENT,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about your problems with your current mattress. :frowning:

Sweet Dreams (thanks Sweet Dreams!) is correct that these were made for Sleepy’s by King Koil (he had/has one), and as he mentioned Sleepy’s was bought by Mattress Firm. But you can still get help for an inspection for a warranty claim, as all warranty claims, inquiries, and correspondence are handled by the Sleepy’s/Mattress Firm warranty coordinators. You can call them at (866)-942-3551 and a representative will assist you with your issue.

One thing you mentioned is that this is on an adjustable bed base. Are you sure that there is no damage to the base of your adjustable bed that could be causing your sag? While not common, there can be a break in the frame network or one of the platform boards of the adjustable bed.

I hope everything turns out well for you.

Phoenix

Hello, I would like to post a question regarding slat foundation. I don’t see an option to open a new topic

Hi ib4u.

We are working on the back end to set up things for the new expert sections.
TMU is implementing a new design element – Talk to the Experts and while it is under construction, we have eliminated “New Topics” for Phoenix so we can effectively service consumer members and manage the increased workload demand. However, we stared allowing “New Topics” for Experts and you would be able to ask our Experts directly a question

I suggest that you for now you start a New topic here:

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Phoenix

I am looking for a Firm memory foam mattress, looking for recommendations here…

Hi carybimmer.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While we can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I hope this gives you a good start with your research and once you’ve had the chance to read through the information provided and narrow down your research to a few finalists I or any of the Expert members of the site would be most than happy to help.

Phoenix

We have just moved to the Tampa area and are looking for a new mattress. We would really like to know if there are any brick and mortar locations whereby we can see and test any of your recommended companies. We are willing to travel within 1 to 3 hours of the Tampa area. Also, with all the research we have been doing on your website, I believe a Talalay latex and springs would be what we are looking for as our BMI is a bit above average. We are willing to consider other types as well. Thank you for all that you offer consumers and will be looking forward to your reply.

Hi - Luma Sleep seems to be about 25 - 30 miles from you. They will have their East Coast show room up and running by June 18th ( their production is out of CA ). If Latex/hybrid is something you are looking for - I highly recommend. I did discuss BMI with Stefano and they can customize for you ( I am 6’2 and 250 )

Dan

thank you for your quick response.

Hi loueylou.

This is correct … within a few weeks Luma Sleep will open the doors to their new showroom in Tampa, FL. Thanks gauss66 for breaking the news! :slight_smile:

Luma’s three lineups (which includes hybrid latex mattress) are excellent quality value products to suit most needs and preferences. Meanwhile, you might wish to visit two other manufacturing trusted members. About one and a half hours driving distance you’ve got Bedmasters here They have been making mattresses for a long time and use high-quality materials including Talalay latex, memory foam and higher quality polyfoam/innersprings and two-sided mattresses which is a real bonus. On the other side of Orlando from you about 2 hours driving distance, you have Fox Mattress in Volusia County that also carries a large variety of mattresses and manufactures 2 sided mattresses. All three mentioned companies are Trusted Manufacturing Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry. They are very knowledgeable and skilled in guiding their customers to make the best possible choices out of the many options they have available.

Best of luck with your testing

Phoenix

Hello again-- different thread, hope this is ok

So, I am looking to replace my 12 year old Simmons Beautyrest. After scouring these forums (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HOSTING THESE!), I am considering a myriad of options.

Me: I am a 6’ tall male, approx 250 lbs. Stomach sleeper
Wife: approx 5’ 7", approx 125. Side sleeper
Looking for a King size

We started by looking at a local mattress manufacturer with a stellar reputation. They recommended an inhouse made Talaly topped mattress. Its 5" of ‘high density foam’ topped with 6" of Talalay latex. The salesperson wasnt 100% sure on the specs (he will get back to me) but the lated is ILD 36 and the HD foam is 28 ILB

On my own, I have started looking (after reading ALL 20 pages!) through the sticky on ‘simplified mattress choices’ aka bed in a box.

I reached out to Sleep on Latex and had a great discussion. I also left a voicemail with Arizona Premium Mattress as well.

For Sleep on Latex, they recommended a medium firmness. I am a bit concerned about the ‘feel’ of dunlop vs talalay. That they are a trusted partner here makes me more comfortable with trying this out, but I am still hesitant. If only I could see a demo bed! :slight_smile:

The main thing is this: I really loved the local mattress manufacturers offering, but it is about 3x the price of the SOL offering. My previous mattress (more in line with the SOL price point, at the time) lasted 12 years, I do now know if its reasonable to expect more than, say, 7 years out of the next one.

Rather long winded. I apologize. If anyone can help me make a reasonably balanced decision, I’d appreciate it. Basically: what is so different between the bed itself, of the local option, that would make one jump up and say ‘wow-- this bed has X feature which is 1000x more desirable than a bed in a box’?

Also, is it confirmed that SOL has no memory foam in it? Thanks in advance for all the help! (and I thought car shopping was hard!)

Hi sirk98,

Welcome back! SOL is an excellent company with high integrity. There is no memory foam in their products. You can rest assured.

The reason your local mattress offering is nearly 3x the SOL pricing is due to the way retailers “mark up” the price of a mattress system vs. the price of purchasing from direct from an independent mattress manufacturer online. For example, a $2500.00 mattress set in a typical retail store is being purchased by that retail store from the mattress manufacturer for approximately $875.00. It is common that a retailer’s margin % of a sale of a luxury mattress is 65%! By purchasing direct from the manufacturer, consumers can realize tremendous savings. This is one of the reasons that e-commerce mattress sales are increasing so rapidly.

Both SOL and Arizona Premium are excellent choices to work with as you continue your mattress shopping journey. It may seem more complicated than buying a car, but consider that there are no car dealers that will provide you with the ability to have it for 100 days and then return it for a full refund, no questions asked!

Sweet dreams,

Team Luma

Thanks for reply!

So, basically I am trying to compare a Shovlin Nirvana (soft) mattress with a Sleep on Latex medium mattress. I also may have Ken at Arizona Mattress recommend/build me a mattress

I know the SOL mattress is dunlop Latex. I know the Nirvana (Shovlin) is high density foam ( the HD foam is 28 ILD) and 6" or talaly latex (ILD 36)

Just trying to figure out how to wrap my head around the difference between (for now, these two) mattresses. Trying to assign a “value”
To an unseen/felt SOL mattress and determine if its so vastly different as to warrant spending thousands more for the Nirvana

The conventional way to measure and compare “value” in a mattress has been based on the quality and amount of its material contents. Shovlin does not provide much information about the material contents of its Nirvana other than it contains 6" or 3" of Talalay latex. Your earlier post notes that there is 5" of HD 28 IFD foam beneath the latex. The means the mattress uses Talalay latex as the comfort layer/system and polyfoam as the support layer/system. The density of the HD foam matters, both in performance and value, as it does relate to firmness durability. Density is a measure of the foam weight (expressed in lbs. per cubic foot, see http://www.pfa.org/jifsg/jifsgs1.html)

HD foam is a broadly used term in the mattress industry for polyurethane foams greater than 1.5. In reality, a 1.5-2.0 density foam is more properly classified as a medium density foam. If it were 2.2 lb or higher, it would be reasonable to call it an HD foam in a mattress application. You should ask Shovlin about the density of its base foam. The Shovlin Nirvana, as described, has 6" of Talalay latex over a 5"polyurethane base foam. Latex foam is recognized as having significant value and is considered a high performance foam. Depending on the ILD, it will have a density from 3.0-5.0. The Talalay used in the Shovlin mattress is made in the US.
The SOL product(s) you are considering have either 6" or 8" of latex foam. SOL uses Dunlop latex made in Sri Lanka. Dunlop latex is also a high performance foam. As you compare “value” between the 2 products, in addition to price, you will be comparing the differences between Talalay and Dunlop latex as well as the amount contained in the mattress. Phoenix has written extensively on the subject, Latex - pros and cons - The Mattress Underground

At Luma Sleep, we prefer to use Talalay latex as the comfort layer latex and Dunlop latex as the support layer latex. We believe that this maximizes the value of each type of latex. The Talalay process creates an open cell foam that allows for air flow through the foam cells, in addition to the holes in the foam from the pins in the mold used to make the foam. It has a more luxurious feel/touch which is why we prefer it as a comfort layer. The Dunlop process also uses pins in the mold that can provide air flow; lower densities of Dunlop latex do have a more open cell. Dunlop latex is more dense, less bouncy and much less expensive. When it comes to comparing value between the two forms of latex, excluding price/cost, the difference is truly a matter of individual preference, considering all the above.

Looks like you’re going to get a good mattress either way you go.

Sweet dreams,

Team Luma

Thank you! This is precisely the perspective I am trying to gain.
It is so hard to have a subjective comparison on this, as I dont have the benefit of ‘feeling’ the SOL mattress.

Doing a search on this forum, I found this post: Nivrana Specs

Looks like the previous buyer confirmed the specs for the poly foam: 2.5 lb., 36 ILD base foam (see previous message HERE)

You’re welcome! If it is a 2.5 lb. density base foam, then you should feel more comfortable in knowing it will last, especially under 6" of Talalay latex. I do suggest you still ask Shovlin about it (don’t tell them about the info you found on TMU), as specifications do get changed over time, and going with a lower density foam would save them money.

Sweet dreams,

Team Luma

thanks again for the reply!

One other question: my existing 11 year old simmons beauty rest ‘luxury firm’ set has a foundation that appears to be heavy gauge wire grid with fabric over it. Would both the SOL and the Nirvana be ok on top of these?

Or would I need a new foundation? I saw this bunky board as an option. My preference would be to just buy the mattress, but if I do need a new foundation, then I may need to consider just buying a platform bed (saw this on the foundations thread: NewTown platform bed

Glad to be of assistance! The foundation you have from your Beautyrest set purchase, in terms used within the mattress industry, is called a semi-flex. It is indeed a heavy gauge wire grid with a fabric cover. The grid is stapled to a wooden base that is very similar to the bunkie board you describe. These foundations are very sturdy and should have a product life cycle longer than the mattress. As long as your foundation is level, stable/solid and does not make noise (e.g. squeak), you should be able to use it under your new mattress. We advise that you check with the company you select for your mattress (SOL, Shovlin, etc.) to make sure they agree and that there are no implications to your new mattress warranty.

Hello everyone I live in Pittsburgh, PA (south hills) and have recently started shopping for a king size mattress. My wife and I visited a nearby Mattress Firm. We felt most comfortable on the following:

• Beautyrest Recharge Hybrid Greenmont Plush
  • Beautyrest Black Alcove Hybrid Plush
  • Serta iSeries 300 plush (hybrid)
  • Beautyrest Bayspring Firm Pillow Top

I havent gotten to the point of researching quality of materials much yet but I would love to hear what people think about these mattresses. Any recommendations on mattress retailers in Pittsburgh would also be welcome. Thanks!

Hi Jdadburgh.

I agree that after some preliminary testing it is best to dig a little deeper and “get to the point” of finding out the specifics of the components within any mattress that you are considering…I generally advise against the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta, as they all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors. Lower quality materials will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay, which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (You can see some reasons why I generally tend to avoid them in . the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here ).

Regarding each of the individual mattresses you are looking at you can perform a forum search here (just click on the link and type any key term or phrase ) to see comments or posts in discussion about them.

While I or any of the site experts are always happy to help the forum members here with “how” to choose, to act as a "fact check, or to help them find better manufacturers or retailers that have better quality and value but “what” to choose in terms of either a mattress or the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment that may be suitable for a specific person is always up to the only person who can feel what you feel on a mattress and best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell a mattress you are considering.

The first suggestion I’d have is to start with the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it and you have no way to identify any weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses so you would be making a completely “blind” purchase. If you change the shopping approach and follow the steps outlined in the tutorial linked above you will have much higher odds of success.

You can perform a Forum Search and you can type in the “key term” any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as Pittsburgh or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you. There is a Pittsburgh list here that you might wish to check upon. Other than this we have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who meet the criteria to become Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground.

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the Post #13 quality/value guidelines here. One way to recognize the better retailers or manufacturers who are “mattress people” rather than “marketing people” is that once you start asking questions they will not only provide better answers but will also ask you better questions focused on finding out what you really need and prefer and offer their recommendations based on your answers rather than on “marketing stories”.

Good luck! and once you’ve had the chance to narrow things down a little further, feel free to post back with any specific questions and I or any of our Expert Members will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix