Consumer membership in The Mattress Underground

Hi bduffy,

I’m looking forward to your feedback and you are certainly looking at some good quality choices.

I would also be aware that European Sleepworks no longer sells the Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and are making their own designs that are similar (see post #4 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the update on European Sleepworks. When I was there last week the salesperson mentioned that the mattress that I found most comfortable, the “Alpine”, was the only one of their older mattresses that hasn’t been recently phased out. However, they only have 2 comfort levels for it: a single type of coil with two different toppers. The equivalent mattress at SC41, the “Cyrus” has 4 comfort choices: two different coils and two different toppers. I’m guessing that the lack of options for the “Alpine” at Sleepworks is due to their decision to stop carrying BE mattresses. Despite the higher price at SC41, I’m tempted to go with their mattress because of the availability of more components and possible future service issues if Sleepworks drops BE altogether. I think I’ll try to find out if SC41 will match Sleepwork’s price.

On another note, I visited BayBed and Mattress today. The salesperson, Ahmad, was very helpful and friendly (and very patient with my almost 2 hour visit). I tried the mattresses that they make and, although I did find something that was a possibility, I went back to SC41 and the bed there just felt like a better fit for me. I would highly recommend SC41 for anyone in the market, though. They had a lot of options and are very knowlegable.

By the way, the link you have on your earlier reply to the post regarding Sleepworks does not go to the forum discussion, but rather to the Sleepworks website. No worries. I was able to find the post anyway. I only mention it in case anyone else wants to check it out.

Thanks Again!

Hi bdufy,

Thanks for the update … and for the heads up about the link. I’ve fixed the link so others that read the post won’t be misdirected :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

This forum is an invaluable tool for all consumers in search of a quality mattress. There are many choices available, and this forum helps individuals sift through all this information and make sound decisions.

Thanks, Phoenix, for all of the time you’ve put into this site and forum for helping to educate us on what we should be looking for.

As with a bunch of the other forum members I’m a young adult looking to purchase my first mattress. Something that’s a good value, but will last for awhile. I’m a 5’9, 150 lbs cyclist (so, flat, and very narrow shoulders) mostly a side sleeper, sometimes stomach, but I feel like I’m pretty sensitive to sleeping very hot,. Therefore, I was thinking something like the MGM Pure Echo, but I keep seeing positive comments about the Tuft & Needle. Would the T&N, possibly with a wool topper, be a suitable alternative, or are we talking apples and oranges (and melons)?

I’m currently sleeping on a King Coil Crownline and find it adequate, I sleep well with no pains or anything.

Hi boloren,

They would be very much apples to melons comparisons which are very different designs that use completely different materials and components and aren’t really comparable at all (except of course they both use good quality materials for their respective budget ranges and are both manufactured and sold by members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them).

I would suggest some local testing on mattresses that are as similar as possible to each of them or that use similar materials (if there are any local to you) to give you some reference points and of course if you are considering an online purchase then more detailed conversations on the phone with each of them would be one of the most important parts of the process of deciding between them.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet the tutorial post would be well worth reading and has links with more information about the materials and components used in both of them.

Phoenix

Thanks for such a great site. Looking forward to heading out and trying out some mattresses next weekend.

Hi Lgbulldogs,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any questions you may have along the way.

Good luck!

Phoenix

Sorry that this is a very belated update. I ended up purchasing the Berkeley Ergonomics Alpine-C and I have finally found the mattress for me! I still have back pain (and likely always will) but the bed doesn’t make it worse like the other mattresses I’ve used. I love the fact that the bed has a little bounce to it since it is a coil mattress and I’m amazed that 2" of talay latex is sufficient padding. I opted for the flexible slat foundation and it has been a good choice for me because my husband and I have different comfort and support needs. It did take me a month or so to get it adjusted to my liking, but now it is perfect. Also, I’ve had the bed for 6 months and there are no body impressions in the mattress ( I weigh 180 lbs and my husband weighs 205 lbs). The last 2 coil mattresses I had (both Beautyrest) showed significant impressions within this amount of time. I still have a difficult time getting out of bed in the morning but it’s because I’m so comfy, not because my back hurts.

Hi bduffy,

I switched your post to a topic of its own so that other could find it more easily.

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up purchasing and for your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well even though it’s been a while and it’s not quite “new” any more … you certainly made a good quality choice and I’m glad to hear that it’s working so well for you :).

Phoenix

First of all ,let me say, you are doing a great service with this site. I cannot stress enough that a mattress is purely an individual taste, or a compromise between husband and wife, usually the husband does the compromising. FYI once you pull off all the foams and poly it is the support system that really counts. I saw someone mention a Sealy here…Never mentioned if they were thinking of a Sealy Posture Pedic or not. Just beware, if its a Sealy and doesn’t say Posture Pedic, you will only enjoy the same benefits of 80% of the mattresses on the market. Sealy Posture pedic, Serta Perfect Sleeper, Simmons BeautyRest all pertain to the coil systems used inside the mattress. Any other coil mattresses carrying the Simmons, Sealy, or Serta names are made of the same old Bonnell coil system. A fine support system but as you could tell from the warranty, it does not hold up well over time…Usually around 5 years tops. Memory foam mattresses are great, but will last only as long as the Base Foam underneath. This is why a Tempurpedic weighs so much, and you could carry the Chinese imitation under your arm. If it can be rolled and compressed so it will fit in a roll box, chances are that the support will not hold up. Always find out the density of the Poly foam base. I have been in the Mattress business for 25 years Good Luck searching, I know it is not an easy task.

Hi johnny33426,

I’m not clear about why you are resurrecting some old topics and posting some somewhat “random” information that isn’t really relevant to the topic itself but some of the information you posted is very different from the information on the site and IMO is somewhat misleading.

I certainly don’t agree with this. While the type of coil system in a mattress can certainly make a difference in how it feels and performs and different types of innerspring will interact with the foams and other materials above them in different ways … in terms of durability the weakest link in a mattress will generally be the comfort materials above the coils regardless of the coil system that is used in the mattress. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here. The density/quality and durability of the foams and other materials used above the innersprings is one of the biggest issues in the mainstream market … not the quality of the coil systems they use.

There have been some changes over the last 25 years that you may not be aware of. While there aren’t many members here that have read the tutorial post that would even consider any of the manufacturers that you mentioned in the first place regardless of the coil system that they use … all three manufacturers (and most other manufacturers as well) use a range of coil systems in their mattresses depending on the model lineup. Simmons has always specialized in pocket coils in their Posturepedic line but Sealy is now using pocket coils in their Posturepedic line and Serta is using pocket coils in the iSeries line as well. Some lower end Simmons BeautySleep mattresses also use a pocket coil but they are a different design and the coil count is lower than the Posturepedic line. Other models in their BeautySleep line use an offset coil. Some of the lower end Sealy mattresses use their classic offset coil and lower end Serta Mattresses can use a continuous coil or an offset coil as well.

The warranty of a mattress has very little to do with the useful life of a mattress and how long it may be before you need to replace it. Warranties only cover defects in a mattress and not the gradual (or often rapid) loss of comfort and support that is the main reason people will need to replace their mattress. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

While I certainly agree with you that an informed consumer needs to know the density of all the foam layers in a mattress including a polyfoam base layer (see this article) … your comments here are inaccurate as well. Even low quality/density memory foam is a higher density foam than the polyfoam used in the base layers of a memory foam mattress so most of the weight in a memory foam mattress comes from the memory foam. There are many other manufacturers (including some Chinese imports) that are using higher density memory foams in their mattresses similar to the density of the Tempurpedic mattresses that will have a similar weight. There are also other memory foam mattresses that compare themselves to Tempurpedic (including some Chinese imports) that do use lower density memory foams (often 3 lbs and lower) and these will tend to be the ones that weigh less than a Tempurpedic or other memory foam mattresses that use higher density memory foams. The weakest link in a memory foam mattress (just like an innerspring mattress) will also usually be the quality/density of the memory foam used in the memory foam comfort layers … not in the polyfoam support core underneath them (although this can also depend on the weight of the person on the mattress).

Hopefully some of the information here will help you provide a little more accurate information to your customers and catch up to some of the changes in the industry over the last few years.

Phoenix

Your site as a repository of information about the mattress, and assess knowledge helps buyers find suitable mattress. Thank for your sharing

Hi Tungpv,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

I’m very glad I found this site; I wish I had found it before I purchased my current mattress. I am wondering if anyone can comment on the support and pressure relief of all latex versus a latex-coil hybrid?

Hi Leesee,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There is no one answer for what you are asking, as there are entirely too many variables involved, such as personal variables like somatotype, BMI, flexibility, strength, personal preferences, sensitivities, sleeping styles, physical issues…and then product variables such as componentry used, layer thickness, ILDs of layers, number and ordering of layers, material resilience and hysteresis, zoning, etc. A mattress can be made using springs or latex for the support core and offer both very good support and pressure point relief, and it really comes down to personal preference.

Post #28 speaks more to latex versus springs for a support unit. This post speaks more to the two basic functions of a mattress – support and comfort.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you for your quick response and for this site. I’ll read the posts you suggested.

Hi Leesee,

Sounds great!

Phoenix

I BOUGHT A SOMNIGEL VIGOR MATTRESS 2 YEARS AGO FROM SLEEP’S, AND WAS TOLD THAT IT COULD BE USED ON A ADJUSTABLE BED. ONE SIDE OF THE MATTRESS HAS BUCKLE , SINKING AND SAGGING. I CAN NOT SLEEP ON THAT SIDE OF THE MATTRESS WHICH CAUSE BAD BACKACHES AND PAIN. I PAID OVER 6 HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR THE MATTRESS. WHAT TO DO…I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCE A MATTRESS LIKE THIS. I AM A DIABETIC AND THIS MATTRESS IS CAUSING PROBLEMS. WHO CAN I CONTACT…P.S AND I;M NOT A BIG PERSON…HELP!!

CDASENT - Sorry to hear about the problems with your mattress. The Somnigel line which was sold by Sleepy’s was manufactured by King Koil, and Sleepy’s has been bought out by Mattress Firm. So I’d suggest that you start by contacting Mattress Firm. I don’t believe that they’re currently representing the King Koil brand so if they can’t help you then contact King Koil directly for manufacturer support. Hopefully you’ve used a good quality mattress protector to keep it clean because in general any mattress warranty is invalid if the mattress is soiled in any way. Hope this helps, good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.
King Koil Customer Service