Consumer Reports #2 Denver Mattress Doctor's Choice Plush

I’ve searched through the post here hoping someone might already have some information on this mattress.
I’ve contacted the company and they don’t have any information regarding the specifics of most of the layers :rage:
It’s rated highly for durability, but I’m skeptical given the
2" of unknown foam in the Quilt Layer (1" Super Soft Antimicrobial Foam & 1"Convoluted Foam) Below that:
2.5" Convoluted H.D. 1.8lb foam topper
Coils: 760 Alternating Checkerboard Coils
2’ H.D. Base Foam

The guest room bed would be used 1-2x/week
1 person side sleeper, very sensitive to depressions in the hip area
1 person prefers soft & not bothered by depressions

Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

Hi emi,

It sounds like you’re in a bit quandary with your mattress search, especially considering the lack of specific information from the company. While I can’t provide details on that particular mattress, I can offer some general advice.

Firstly, durability is indeed a crucial factor to consider, especially if the mattress is going to be used as your primary sleeping bed. However, without knowing the exact materials and construction of the mattress, it’s challenging to assess its true durability. Even the coils, no gauge listed for analysis.

In terms of the layers you’ve listed, having unknown foam layers can be concerning, particularly if you’re sensitive depressions in the hip or any other area or if you’re unsure about their quality.

The convoluted foam topper and coil count are decent indicators of potential comfort and support, but the specific foam densities and materials used can greatly affect the overall feel and longevity of the mattress.

Given the sensitivity to depressions in the hip area, it’s important to prioritize proper support and pressure relief. A mattress with good contouring properties, such as latex, micro coils or high quality memory foam might be beneficial for this purpose.

Denver Mattress is a generally a reliable mattress company and their Doctor’s Choice Line is often highly regarded.

It’s concerning to note a few issues with this mattress. The use of convoluted foam typically suggests a cost-cutting strategy. When foam undergoes convoluting, it’s essentially splitting one solid piece into two, representing a significant cost-saving tactic. In this case, the mattress employs convoluted foam in to areas of the build.

Another worrisome aspect is the absence of ILD ratings. Without this crucial information, it’s challenging to gauge how the mattress will feel and its long-term durability. This lack of clarity makes it difficult to assess the overall quality and comfort level of the mattress.

Since you’re unable to get detailed information from the company, you might want to consider looking for reviews from other customers who have purchased the same mattress. Their experiences can provide valuable insights into its comfort, support, and durability.

Ultimately, if you’re still unsure about this particular mattress, it might be worth exploring other options that offer more transparency regarding their materials and construction. Investing in a mattress that meets your specific needs and preferences is essential for a good night’s sleep and long-term satisfaction.

One of the primary requirement for a Trusted Member of the Mattress UnderGround is transparency of product and materials.

Transparency does not always guarantee comfort. It does for the comparison between mattresses and lends itself to potential predictability of durability and longevity. Based on the information provided the only thing that is transparent is the density of the “divided” foam topper.

Named a “Best Mattress Buy Under $800” by the nation’s leading consumer magazine, the Doctor’s Choice® Plush Mattress offers luxurious comfort, reactive support, and a price that won’t keep you up at night! Featuring our B.O.S.S.® sleep system, each Doctor’s Choice® Mattress boasts Pressure-Response coils engineered in an alternating right-turn and left-turn construction. This allows the mattress to adjust to your body as you sleep, reducing capillary cutoff, improving spinal alignment, and ensuring a better night’s sleep. The Doctor’s Choice® Plush Mattress is then topped with a generous layer of our ultra-high density foam which creates a plush, medium feel while alleviating painful pressure points. Experience more restful sleep night after night with the Doctor’s Choice® Plush Mattress.

Key Features:

• Best Mattress Buy under $800 - Awarded to the entire Doctor’s Choice® Line by the Nation’s Leading Consumer Magazine
  • Zoned support - More coils throughout the center of the mattress for superior lumbar and hip support
  • Plush Comfort - For those who prefer a medium, plush comfort level
  • High Density Foam - Made with 1.8lb foams to offer better pressure point relief as well as a longer lifespan compared to other mattress foams
  • The Perfect Edge® - Innovative foam edge allows you to take advantage of the full sleeping surface, compatible with adjustable bases

I pulled this off their website. Another concern is the mattress does not employ edge to edge coil construction. It uses a perimeter support foam encasement (perfect edge). For longer term use, foam edges tend to wear down faster than coils.

If you’re looking at a king-sized version priced in the $999.00 give or take, I’d be happy to recommend a couple of alternatives within that price range. These options offer high-quality mattresses, transparency, and excellent guarantees

Good luck on your search

Maverick

@DLX their classic hybrid

@EngineeredSleep their classic mattress

@Beloit_Mattress_Co Hybrid Easy Rest

Texas Mattress Factory Elegance

1 Like

Hi @eml,

@Maverick gave you a ton of great info (as he always does).

He linked our Classic Hybrid 10", which would be a great option based on your provided information. Our Today Mattress could also be a good, budget friendly option that fits your needs.

Good luck and if I can help or answer any specific questions just let me know.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply and the wonderful recommendations !
I should have provided a bit more detail about the users-

A full size bed in a guest bedroom, used 1-2 times a week by:
130#, 5’2’ arthritic side sleeper (me)…likes med/plush but needs lasting hip support (F)
115#, 5’4" side sleeper… likes plush, doesn’t notice deep depression in current bed (F)
150# , 5’9" side sleeper… likes plush, doesn’t notice deep depression in current bed (M)

At a much higher price point, but with a great lifetime comfort layer replacement guarantee is the
Nest Bedding- Owl Latex Hybrid

Soft Organic Knit Cotton and Joma Wool
Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam | 1.5 lb.
Natural Talalay Latex | Plush, 14 ILD - Medium, 24 ILD - Luxury Firm, 36 ILD
Certi-PUR Transitional Comfort Foam | 1.5 lb.
Reinforced Edge Coil Support Pocketed Coils (Up to 840 Coils)
Base Support Foam | 1.5 lb.

I also wonder if a quality firm bed where I add my own topper (latex?, memory foam?) would be a a better option… Thank you for any and all direction!

@eml That is great info! After you laid out all of that info here is my recommendation. I actually think this would be a great fit for now and down the road. Also, there are lots of great mattresses, but I can only speak 100% accurately about the ones we make.

Our DUO Latex Plus or DUO Memory Plus will give you the PLUSH feel that is needed, but also provide FIRM support. You can even flip the DUO Support to get 2 unique feels (which is helpful for your situation) and the Comfort Layers are replaceable at any point.

The DUO Latex Plus uses 4 inches of Dunlop Latex
The DUO Memory Plus uses 2" Latex + 2" Memory Foam
Both options have the same Support - an 8" TPS QuadCoil + 1.5" High Density HR Foam (this creates the softer side of the support).

It’s a good price point for what you get. A Full Size is $1,499.25 and you can use TMU10 to take another 10% off.

I forgot to add all the detailed specs:

8" Pocketed Coil (14.75 Gauge Body Coils / 13.5 Gauge Edge Support)
Dunlop Latex (18-21 ILD)
1.5" AdaptFoam (HR Foam) is 2.65lb and 10-12 ILD
We use .75" of SuperSoft Poly Foam quilted with Organic Cotton. It is 1.8lb.

Let me know if you need anything else!

1 Like

Thank you! I just spoke with someone at your company and asked a few more questions. I think the DUO Memory Plus sounds like a very good option for us.

1 Like