consumer reports lists best foam mattress

Consumer Reports lists for 2015 Costco Novaform as the best rated and Tuft & Needle Ten as a best buy for a memory foam mattress . I wanted to post this in case anyone was interested. Do not know how accurate it is.

Hi rfhjr,

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

Phoenix

Growing up in a household with a father that still to this day is subscribed to Consumer Reports and thinks highly of their reviews, its good to get this sort of information. As I grow up I start to question their style of reviewing and tend to look for other sources. I’m sure if I was to mention to my father that I was going to purchase one I’m sure he would show me these ratings. Instead I took to the internet and happened across this site which has an incredible amount of info on it. Thanks to everyone that contributes and runs this site!

Hi scottbeckerl,

They are certainly a great source of information for more objective purchases that can be “quantified” or “measured” but mattresses aren’t just “objective” purchases and involve many criteria that are unique to each person and a mattress that would be “comfortable” or “supportive” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on so the idea that anyone or any organization can “rate” a mattress for comfort and support or what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) is somewhat ridiculous. It would be something like only listing a few dozen different types of food and trying to rate or “recommend” them based on which ones “taste good” or which ones have a “good texture” without considering all the many other individual factors that are involved in dietary choices and leaving out most of the thousands of other food choices that are available.

Phoenix

Can you please tell me which month this report was in?

Hi B Feelgood,

I’m not sure which month their latest report was included in their magazine but their online ratings were last updated in September of this year (although they only include 49 out of the thousands of mattresses in the industry and as you can see in my comments in the previous replies in this topic much of the information in their report and “ratings” are questionable and very misleading at best).

Tuft & Needle for example doesn’t contain any memory foam at all and yet they included them in the memory foam list.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Don’t put too much trust in their mattress reviews but wouldn’t mind reading it.

B Feelgood,

You would need to subscribe to consumer reports to be able to access their mattress ratings.

Phoenix