Content and construction

Hi nancymariec,

Posts #9 and #10 here have more accurate information about the Pettygrove and based on the “correct” specs there are no weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix

Oh, my! This salesman really sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but obviously not! Thanks so much for your help on this! I am going to purchase this mattress, the $210.00 delivery fee nothwithstanding. He also said that I could put the mattress on my former foundation (not a box spring but feels like a heavy wire grid). Do you think this would be okay? I want to get a platform bed but would like to use my old foundation in the meantime. Thanks again. (Another neat thing about this company is that they use a two-truck delivery system, meaning they deliver with one truck and put your old bed, if recycling it, into another truck. Your mattress will never be in the same truck with used mattresses. No worries about bedbugs, etc.!)

Hi nancymariec,

If your foundation has a closely spaced wire grid surface that has little to no flex and there is no sagging or soft spots in the support surface then it would be fine yes.

Assuming that you decide to go ahead with the purchase … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a high quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback after you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Based on your information, I have decided to buy this mattress. Also, I have sent an email to the company headquarters giving them the link to your “Mattress specifications you need to know,” asking them to send me the exact information. If they do, I’ll let you know their response. Thanks again. And I will let you know how I like the mattress after it arrives. Your help has been so valuable and appreciated!

Here is the information on the Pettygrove mattress, provided by Scott Oster from the Parklane offices:

Cover is 350g polyester knit fabric
1.5" quilt foam 1.5 lb density
1" of Talatech Latex
8" 15.5 gauge innerspring 884 coil individually wrapped marshall coil unit
1.8 lb density perimeter foam encasement
2" 1.5 lb density foam base

Does this still look okay to you? Thanks.

Hi nancymariec,

Thanks for sharing the “official” specs of the Pettygrove … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

The 1.5 lb quilting foam is less than 2" and the quilting process pre-compresses the foam which makes it more durable (and it’s also higher density than is often used in quilting foams) so it is certainly a suitable type and thickness for a quilting layer.

The Talalay latex and pocket coil are both a good quality material and component.

The firmer 1.5 lb polyfoam in the base is on the bottom of the mattress underneath the pocket coils where it won’t affect durability so it is also a suitable material.

The foam encasement is 1.8 lbs so it’s also a good quality and durable material and durable enough for “sitting on” or sleeping on the edge of the mattress.

In other words … all the materials are inside the guidelines I would suggest so there are no weak links in the mattress and it would certainly make a good quality/value choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. I’m going to order the mattress today and will let you know how I like it after sleeping on it for awhile.

Hi nancymariec,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any comments and feedback that you have the chance to share once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix