Cooler It

Would a Taladay latex 2" or 3" topper cool down my memory foam mattress? During summer, its too hot.

Hi Marcouvo,

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets, your bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Latex in general is more breathable and “temperature neutral” than other types of foam materials such as memory foam or polyfoam but no foam material is as breathable or temperature neutral as different types of natural fibers such as wool and some people can still sleep warm if they are sleeping directly on softer layers of latex as well.

A topper can be a good solution for a mattress that is too firm and that just needs some additional softness and pressure relief (as long as it doesn’t have any soft spots or sagging in the sleeping surface) but I would be cautious about using a topper to try and “fix” temperature regulation issues because if a mattress is already a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) then a topper could add too much additional softness and you could end up exchanging a temperature regulation issue for an alignment issue that is the result of sleeping on a mattress that is too soft. If some of the suggestions in the previous link (such as choosing a different mattress protector or different sheets or using cooler bedding etc) aren’t enough to solve any temperature regulation issues you are experiencing then I would consider a thinner mattress pad or topper made from natural fibers such as wool that can help maintain a more neutral sleeping temperature and have the “least possible” effect on the overall comfort and support of the mattress.

Phoenix