Costco adjustable beds?

Looking for a adjustable bed for an 85 year old man. He currently has a twin and hates the small size.

We settled on a queen Sleep Science Black Diamond. $2200 from Costco online.

http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-Black-Diamond-11"-Queen-Memory-Foam-Mattress-with-Adjustable-Base.product.100007765.html

Anyone have experience with the Sleep Science beds? Any comments as to the firmness of them?

I called South Bay International a few weeks ago because I had some questions and left a message. Got no return call. Seems to be typical of people these days - can’t be bothered to return calls about anything.

As you can see in the picture, there is a wooden bed frame - headboard, footboard, side boards. But they are not sold as part of the set. Where would I find one? I am seeing frames on Ebay, but they all look too short - I want to be able to hide the metal bed frame behind the wood.

Thanks.

I’m back. Called South Bay, got an actual human this time. Could not help me with where to purchase a wooden bed frame. Called back, different person, same answer.

Did find out that the adjustable frame is 16 inches high. Then add 11 inches for the mattress. That makes the 27 inches.

The mattress is an absolute 60" x 80", plus they want you to have a little bit of wiggle room around the sides for the movement of the adjustable bed frame. The second person recommended waiting until after receiving the bed to purchase the bed frame.

Hi GaryA,

I don’t have any personal experience with their mattresses but you can see some comments about Sleep Science in post #2 here.

There is more about the Sleep Science 11" Black Diamond in post #4 here and a forum search on Sleep Science Black Diamond 11 (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments as well.

There is also more about buying a mattress from Costco in post #4 here.

Each person’s experience on a mattress can be very different from someone else and what one person finds too firm another will find too soft but the good news with Costco is that they have a good return policy so each person can decide for themselves based on their own personal experience. I think if anything though that most people would probably put this mattress in the firmer side of the range than the softer side.

I would also keep in mind that if you do decide to purchase this mattress that you can buy it as a mattress only and then you could choose an adjustable bed as a separate purchase if there was a different adjustable bed that provided better features in the same budget range. Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to may help you decide on which adjustable bed would be best for you. Of course if you compare different adjustable beds and the Sleep Science is still the best option for you then you can still purchase them together but I would always compare mattress to mattress and adjustable bed to adjustable bed and treat them as two independent purchases so you are confident that each one is the best choice for you without being “forced” to buy them together.

Most furniture stores would carry wooden bedframes and if they are a standard size (and you can measure to make sure) then the adjustable bed should fit inside it.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. Looks like I’ve got some reading to do!