Costco Cotton Wool Reversible Topper

What are some opinions of this mattress topper?

http://www.costco.com/Reversible-Wool-Cotton-Mattress-Topper.product.100147604.html King is 109.99

Hammacher Schlammer has the same item for $40 more for a king: http://preview.tinyurl.com/kp6h76

Wayfair has the king for $119.

It seems like a very good price to get some wool/cotton combo. It doesn’t protect the sides of the mattress cover, but is machine washable.

Hi benjammin,

I don’t have any personal experience with it but hopefully one of the forum members that does will see your post and share their comments. I would make sure that you are clear that this is a wool topper that is designed to affect the “feel” and surface softness of your mattress not a mattress protector that is designed to protect your mattress and have the least possible effect on the feel of your mattress so it’s unlikely to be water resistant or waterproof if that is an important consideration for you. It has 300 gsm of wool fleece on one side (which is almost 9 oz/sq yd) which would be a little less than 2 lbs of wool in a queen size (so you can make some comparisons with other wool toppers) and synthetic polyester fiber with a cotton cover on the other side. If you are comfortable with both the amount of wool (which isn’t a lot) and the synthetic materials in the topper then it would certainly be worth considering.

Although this isn’t a typical all wool topper (which wouldn’t contain synthetic fibers) … if this is the type of product you are looking for then it would certainly be worth considering. If you aren’t sure whether it will be a good choice for you or how you will like it then the return policy of the store you buy it from (and Costco has a great return policy) would also become a more important part of the “value” of your purchase.

There is more about wool toppers in post #8 here and the other forum posts it links to.

Phoenix

The return policy is certainly a great thing with Costco. Ideally, I’d want it to at least protect the top of the mattress (cover) while helping it to sleep cooler while not changing the feel of the bed too much. I’m not too concerned with the poly as long as it sleeps cool but I understand for many people they would be avoiding the non-natural material.

Hi benjammin,

The topper is thick enough that it will have some effect on the feel of a mattress underneath it and again I would keep in mind that it’s designed to change the feel of the mattress and add some additional softness to your sleeping surface. While it’s not designed as a mattress protector, it would absorb some of the body fluids and oils that we release each night and would have some effect on accidents as well but I don’t know “how much” protection it would provide or if it would have “enough” protection to prevent any staining of the mattress over time.

Phoenix