Crib Mattress (Canada)

I have been searching for an organic crib mattress in Canada. I’ve narrowed it down to several choices. Costco Natura Organic Mattress, Obasan, Dormio or Black Sheep. We hope to have the baby use the crib mattress in a toddler bed until he is about 5 (we have small kids). I have had a hard time deciding between a coil mattress and a latex mattress. Any recommendations between any of these companies and any of their mattresses? Thank you so much!

Hi ltoth,

Post #2 here and the topics it links to has much more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children (and crib mattresses) as well which also include more information about many good options which may also be worth considering in a wide range of prices. Some of these may be available in Canada but they would also give you some good reference information that you could use to decide on similar mattresses that are available in Canada as well.

For safety reasons I would probably use a crib mattress inside a crib with side rails until sometime between 18 months and 3 years old and when they are ready I would transition them to a larger size “big kids” mattress and bedframe for safety reasons as well and also because they may do better with a slightly softer and larger mattress when they are a little older. There is some information here about transitioning from a crib mattress to a larger bed).

For babies and infants then any firm crib mattress that uses materials that are “safe enough” and that you would be comfortable with having inside their mattress would make a good choice. Babies and infants need firmer mattresses than toddlers and older children.

For toddlers or children that are a little older then a slightly softer and larger mattress (in the medium firm range) would be a suitable choice since they may prefer a slightly softer and bigger mattress but I would still be cautious about choosing a mattress that is too soft for any child that is still growing.

While I don’t have any specific suggestions or recommendations … all of the companies you listed make some high quality mattresses that use “safe” materials but you would need to make sure that they would be a suitable firmness level for the age of your child and that you are comfortable with the specific materials and components inside them because you didn’t mention the specifics of any of the mattresses you were considering and a mattress is only as good as the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Phoenix