Cube Filled Latex Pillow - Not an Ordinary Latex Pillow

I wanted to mention that @Shepherds_Dream is now carrying the adjustable latex cube pillow that was developed with @EuropeanSleep (European Sleep Works.).

I had the opportunity to sleep on one of the early production versions while they were still refining the design, and from the beginning I kept describing it as having an almost cloud-like feel. That impression hasn’t changed. One thing about this pillow is that the latex fill is made up of consistently sized pieces rather than randomly shredded foam. That gives the pillow a more uniform feel from edge to edge, helps the fill distribute more evenly, and makes loft adjustments much more predictable. This is due to the fact the pillow is made of uniform and equal sized talalay latex cubes.

With randomly shredded foam, you often end up with larger clumps mixed with tiny fragments, which can create uneven support and require more fluffing over time. Uniformly sized latex pieces tend to settle more consistently while still allowing the pillow to remain breathable and easily adjustable.

What separates this pillow from many adjustable latex pillows I’ve tried is the balance between pressure relief and support. The fill has that responsive, buoyant latex feel without becoming overly springy or dense. Because the loft is adjustable, it’s also much easier to dial in for different body types and sleeping positions than most one-piece molded latex pillows.

I’ve tested and owned a large number of pillows over the years, including wool, down, shredded latex, molded latex, memory foam, horsehair and various hybrids, and this remains one of the four or five pillows that I rotate regularly. It has earned that place simply because it performs consistently and is comfortable night after night.

I also have to give credit where it’s due: Shepherd’s Dream’s product description is one of the few that accurately reflects what the pillow actually feels like in real-world use. That’s not something I say very often.

If anyone has been considering a premium adjustable latex pillow, I think this one deserves serious consideration.

If anyone has any questions about this pillow and it’s real world feel and comfort, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Maverick

2 Likes

What’s the difference between this pillow and European Sleep Work’s Oxygen Pillow?

3 Likes

Howdy!

We make both pillows.

The O2 Pillow is a Talalay latex support pillow that comes in 14 different height and firmness options. It’s built from a standard latex pillow with an added support frame and flexible “hinges” that let certain areas move more easily. The whole thing is covered in a very stretchy 100% cotton knit for maximum contour. The feel depends on the height and firmness you choose, so it ranges from pretty floaty and soft to firm and dense, but the support is always very stable—almost orthotic in the way it holds you.

The cube pillow (European Sleep Works Wool & Latex Cube-Fill Pillow/CubeLuxe) has an organic cotton sateen cover quilted to wool, with an adjustable fill of very soft 1" latex cubes. The feel is floaty and luxurious, but still supportive—kind of like a really nice down pillow that doesn’t end up flat. It’s definitely a lighter touch, and is great for people who sleep in more than a couple of positions, or who still like to mash and scrunch their pillow a bit.

I’m 6’ and 220 lbs and sleep on my side on a Firm 2 O2 Pillow, but I’m also pretty happy on the cube-fill (filled almost all the way). I do have to shape it a bit, but that’s also one of its advantages.

I’d also say that if someone really likes the feel of down, but wants something more durable and stable, along with a drier night’s sleep, the cube-fill is a great option.

If you are a side sleeper who really needs more elevation and stability (especially if you use CPAP) the O2 Pillow is worth a go.

2 Likes

@EuropeanSleep I’ve come across your company/name a few times as I’ve read through Maverick’s posts.

For a little background, most recently, Maverick posted something about Baloo’s linen product line that I ended up acting on. In combination between Maverick’s insights and write-ups, and Baloo’s responsiveness and incredible customer support, I was blown away by everything about Baloo’s linen sheets. The reason I share this is because now you, European Sleep, are now on my radar for this same reason hahah!

My wife and I just DIY’d our mattress/bed, and the last element that we’re working on fine-tuning is our pillows. I suspect neither of us have found an ideal, suitable pillow based off of how we’re waking up and feeling in the shoulder → neck area. With your company on our radar, I’m wondering if you’d be opening to providing any suggestions or advice for a pillow! And, of course, no worries in not!

Considering this whole revamp has been my side project, I’ll share a little bit about me because realistically I’d be buying your pillow first before moving onto her. I’m 6’1" and ~176lbs. I start most of my nights off on my back with an orthopedic/cervical pillow, but inevitably end up on my stomach as I wake up throughout the night (although, I will reset my position during those nightly “wakes,” but, again, I’ll still largely wake up on my stomach. The cervical pillow is obviously not compatible with this. I also have a MyPillow, TempurPedic pillow (no idea what one), japanese buckwheat hull adjustable pillow, and several various-fill loft pillows. With all of these pillows, I find myself CONSISTENTLY rotating through all of them as the night goes on, mainly because they’ll temporarily feel comfortable as I initially switch over to a different pillow, but by the time I wake up again, my neck will feel cranked again and/or my trapezius and neck flexors, etc. will feel moderately to wickedly tight/stiff from clearly incorrect pillow height.

Any thoughts or ideas? I have looked at both the Oxygen and Cube-Fill pillow, too. Just curious if you have any additional insights for choosing or alternatives that you feel may be better suited!

2 Likes

I was planning to reply to you here. I think you would like the latex cube pillow because it’s adjustable. It’s $250 but these are buy it for life items. Really don’t think you’ll need any other pillows afterwards. I bought one the other day. Sometimes solid latex is too bouncy, and shredded latex can feel too hard. Cubes give you a midway point by removing a lot of the bounciness of having one solid piece, and you have the advantage of being able to adjust.

2 Likes

I finally received my pillow yesterday. It blew my mind how much latex they fit into it. 4 pounds of latex cubes is a crazy amount.

I then took out almost half of the latex, and still the pillow was a little too tall for me for back and side sleeping. So I took out a little more, it felt better, but still so supportive to where it feels too tall. This is a compliment to the way it’s built. The cover is very thick for a pillow, and it never gets hot. It’s supportive even with a lot of the fill being removed but not hard.

This will probably be my endgame pillow, and my favorite.

2 Likes

Hey Gene,

I’m so glad you like the pillow! The cover they use is unbelievable. It really does a great job of masking any lumps or unevenness from the cubes. It honestly feels like you’re floating on a cloud.

I like mine really overstuffed, and he knows I prefer a higher loft, so he kicked it up another notch for me. :joy:

I also got the body pillow, but I ended up breaking it down into two king-size pillows. That thing looked like there was another full-sized human in the bed with us! It was huge, weighed a ton, and just took up way too much room.

I am going to try and convince him to make a topper out of the cubes, with the wool quilted cover like the pillow.

I am testing this new pillow called the GeliSleep Pillow. This is an interesting setup. The first night was good, the 2nd night not as good, but I need to get used to it.

I just made a pillow for one of my coworkers a new pillow, but with latex noodles and a similar wool type of cover from bedrooms and more to insert the pillow liners filled with the latex noodles. I tried to use a wool batting as a perimeter and it was too firm for her. So I removed the wool, added some latex noodles and it had a similar feel to the cubeluxe pillow, but not quite as floating on a cloud feel.

2 Likes