Current equivalent of this old Sealy mattress?

Hello all,
This is my first post as I just discovered the forum here. I’m looking for mattress experts that might know the progression of mattresses over the years, and what a certain bed in 2008 would equal in today’s market.
Basically I’ve slept on a half dozen different mattress styles and have confirmed that I like a firm mattress. I’m a 6’0" 230lb male. I slept at my mothers house in her spare bedroom and got the best 8 hr long nights of sleep in a long time on this mattress.
She said she got the mattress at a Macy’s outlet circa appx 2008. Not for sure on that year, but it’s our best guess. The bed is very firm, doesn’t sag at all and seems to fit me perfectly. im looking for a king size version

of the same mattress, but new and in today’s market.

Here’s the make and model.
Sealy Posturepedic Body Fusion Lakefront LTD Firm

Does anyone know what became of this model, what coil count etc and what this model would be equivalent to in today’s market?

Thank you!
James

James, the Posturepedic line has changed incredibly since this mattress was introduced. Trying to find the same/equivalent mattress really isn’t possible, as mattress companies generally don’t take the same model and slightly change it year after year. They instead tend to come out with entire different lineups. Additionally, different names are used for the same model and those vary from store to store within a geographic region. You’d be better off searching for a product in the “firmer” range of surface comfort and see if you could find a quality product that provide this feel.

As far as sticking with a Sealy product, you can do some searches on this site for information/feedback about that particular brand.

Good luck!
Jeff

Hi JamesOH,

Like Jeff I also don’t know which of their current mattresses would be closest to your mom’s Posturepedic mattress and the only way to really know for certain would be based on testing the current Posturepedic lineup in the store so you can identify one of their mattress that “feels” similar to you. I would also echo Jeff’s comments about the wisdom of buying any Sealy mattress (or any major brand) no matter how it may feel to you.

Major brand mattresses that are available today tend to use much lower quality materials in the upper layers of their mattresses which generally soften or break down much too quickly and I would tend to avoid any major brand mattress or any mattress where you can’t confirm the quality and durability of the materials inside them (see the guidelines here).

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

While the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), outside of PPP a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the durability and useful lifetime of a mattress is also a very important part of the value of a mattress purchase. No matter how it may feel in a showroom … there would be little value in buying a mattress where the use of lower quality and less durable materials leads to foam softening and breakdown and the loss of comfort and support much too quickly after a purchase and the loss of comfort and support it isn’t considered to be a defect and isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

Phoenix

I’m having the same problem as you. I bought a Sealy Posturepedic Connelly in 2005 and it was heavenly. If you have the 6 digit model number, you can call Sealy and find out what the equivalent line would be today, or at least closest. But word of warning: I have called Sealy 3 or 4 times in my process and seem to get different answers each time. Also, it could be an iterative process. They may give you some info, then you go to the store - get the model number off the tag in the back (you can’t just do this online) - and then call Sealy back and they’ll tell you if it compares. It’s extra hard since we all know no two stores carry the same mattress. So you may want to go to a few stores, get a few tag numbers, and then call Sealy back.

Hi suzan,

I’m not so sure I would have a lot of confidence that the process you outlined will lead to buying a mattress that is functionally the same because as Jeff said their models have changed a great deal since then.

I’m also don’t think that the effort would be worth it since at best it will lead to a mattress that may feel similar (and there would be other mattresses that feel similar as well) but contains lower quality and less durable materials that are much more likely to soften and break down much too quickly relative to the cost you paid. I would suggest avoiding the major brands completely (see the guidelines here).

Phoenix

I slept the last few nights on a Sealy mattress at a hotel that I really like. I got the model number 513117 off the tags (pictures attached) and tried a couple of customer service emails to Sealy to find the retail equivalent but haven’t had much success with them or Google. I can’t believe it’s so hard to cross reference a model number.
Anyone have some suggestions here?
Thanks

Hi enet,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately your pictures did not attach to your post.

“Hotel mattresses” tend to be more basic versions of the retails products that many mattress companies offer (which isn’t a good thing). They tend to be firmer products using softer “top-of-bed” materials to create extra plushness. There’s more good information about hotel mattresses in post #3 here.

In most cases, hotel/contract/hospitality bedding purchases are disappointing and like all major brands they contain a lot of lower-density polyfoam which is subject to early softening and breakdown. There really isn’t much value there.

Without the specifications of a mattress, it’s not possible to approximate the mattress. You can see some examples of Sealy Hotel mattresses here and here and as you can see they range from plush to firm and have a variety of different types and quality levels. In general though they will be layers of lower-density polyfoam over innersprings and won’t be very durable.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: innroomsupplies.com/v/vspfiles/pdfs/BedsRollAwaysFrames_Website_InnRoomSupplies.pdf]

What I would suggest though is to start from the beginning and test for the pressure relief, alignment, and overall feel that you need and prefer, and best try to approximate the feel that you preferred in the hotel, but doing so using products containing quality materials. The guidelines expressed in the mattress shopping tutorial here are a good place to start. If you provide me with your zip code, I can see if I am aware of any retailers in your area who might be able to provide quality products or assistance in your search.

Your other option, should you desire to try and find that exact mattress, would be to look on the law tag for the Sealy factory that made the mattress and phone them directly with the number and they would be able to provide you with the same or closest item in their current line up.

Phoenix