Currently using a Luxi mattress but thinking about returning it for a #BME

I’ve had the Luxi mattress for about 2.5 weeks now. I sleep in all positions but I would say the majority on my stomach. I started sleeping on on the medium side of the mattress and my lower back would be aching in the morning. I tried to sleep on the medium setting for about a week and half to try get used to it but my back just kept hurting. I’ve started sleeping on the soft setting and that has been much better for my back it hasn’t hurt since.
Previous to this I was sleeping on memory foam toppers over spring mattress and I miss that sinking in and plushness. I chose the Luxi due to the fact you could change the firmness and having that latex layer was appealing due to the durability. I’m considering the Brooklyn Bedding soft. Any idea if the softness of it would be comparable to the feeling of memory foam?

Thanks

Hi butch3217,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While 2.5 weeks really isn’t enough time for most individuals to accommodate themselves to a new mattress, it does seem that you’ve settled on a “softer” setting for your personal preference, which is definitely “not the norm” for someone who sleeps upon their stomach, but if that’s what works best for you then that is the most important thing. That’s one of the benefits of the Luxi mattress – being able to switch to different comforts.

If you’re your sleeping well now on the soft setting for the Luxi, I’m curious as to why you’d want to switch to another mattress. It seems as if this setting is working nicely for you, and if the mattress softens up too much for you over time you do have the ability to change over to the Medium setting again.

If you look at the specifications of the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever (BME), it uses two different layers of latex foam (2" Talalay and 2" Dunlop) in the upper comfort layers. There is no memory foam in this mattress, and latex has a much different feel from memory foam (more buoyant and not as much “sink in” in general), so this wouldn’t be consistent (at least from a component perspective) with what you’re saying you desire in the feel of a mattress.

Of course, I can’t feel what you feel and the focus of this site isn’t to recommend mattresses or manufacturers for individuals, but instead help people to learn about componentry in order to assist them in making an informed and educated decision (as outlined in the mattress shopping tutorial here). The BME certainly uses good quality materials, but based upon your previous comments I’d be cautious about the componentry being the type that you’re specifying that you desire and prefer.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick reply. The soft setting is fine but just doesn’t have that plushness I’m looking for. I also like the bounce that the latex side provides. On another note it looks like Brooklyn Bedding is changing from latex to a foam material. So that mattress maybe out of the picture.

I was going to get the BME for a relative but they just changed it to something called TitanFlex. Donno what that is.

Hi Hondo:

Brooklyn Bedding has just announced the change of the upper comfort layers of their Best Mattress Ever line from Talalay and Dunlop latex to a newer high-density, high-performance polyfoam they are calling TitanFlex. This is a 4 lb density material and high quality and durable. While costs are always a part of operating any business, as is coming up with new mattress configurations, this is not a cost cutting measure but part of the continuing evolution and refinement that a mattress company goes through. While I haven’t personally tested this foam, the TitanFlex is a polyfoam that is highly resilient and is supposed to contain quite a few of the comfort characteristics of latex. It has a similar pressure distribution to latex with a bit of a softer “end-feel” and higher compression and is very breathable. It will be interesting to learn of everyone’s reaction to the new configuration.

The configurations will be as follows:

SOFT
2" 4 lb TitanFlex (Latex Alternative) Comfort Layer- Soft
2" 4 lb TitanFlex (Latex Alternative) Transitional Layer – Medium
6" 1.8lb 36ILD HD Base Foam

Medium
2" 4 lb TitanFlex (Latex Alternative) Comfort Layer – Medium
2" 4 lb TitanFlex (Latex Alternative) Transitional Layer - Firm

FIRM
4" 4 lb TitanFlex (Latex Alternative) Comfort Layer - Firm

I would contact Brooklyn Bedding if you are considering this product, as they would be best able to describe the feels. The TitanFlex is supposed to have the buoyant feel that latex has, and they would best be able to relate the feel of the new mattresses to their old line.

Phoenix

If you like the mattress but just wish for a plusher top, isn’t that the ideal circumstance to add a topper?

Hi anotherscott,

I advise against buying a new mattress with the intention of adding a separate topper afterwards unless there is no other reasonable alternative or unless you have a chance to do some careful and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) on the specific combination in person using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial. Deciding on a topper that would be a good match for both you and the mattress (the specifics of the mattress can make a significant difference in which topper would work best for you) can be almost as challenging as buying a new mattress in the first place. And if a mattress is already in a “soft” configuration, as was this case, it may be that the componentry within the mattress is incompatible with the comfort desired, and adding a topper would not provide an appropriate comfort, or could result in too deep of a “comfort cradle” and negatively impact alignment, especially when sleeping prone, as in this situation.

If someone has an existing mattress that is still in good condition and that they consider a bit too hard, a topper can be viable solution to increasing the plushness of the product without negatively impacting alignment, and the guidelines in post #2 here and the items linked therein provide quite a bit of color on that topic.

Phoenix

Luxi also no longer uses latex but a hybrid. It is not as soft as latex in my experience. People say it’s the same or as responsive but I disagree.

On the soft side I can feel the Luxi foam shapes pushing up on me. The new hybrid medium layer is too firm feel to my body and not at all responsive. The cover seems exacerbates this as it fits very tightly over everything making the layers slightly compressed.

I am returning my Luxi or at least trying to. I first asked them to return my item almost 4 weeks ago. Still waiting to hear back from them after contacting again last week.

This is the reason I won’t try the BME titan flex, it seems similar to the stuff Luxi is now using which didn’t work for me at all.

Hi lowbmi,

Luxi changed slightly their configuration in May of this year but I don’t have complete information on the densities of the two new foam layers that have replaced the memory foam and the latex layer. The latex-replacement layer (part of the laminated reversible piece that includes the SBT layer) is one of the “newer” generation of high-performance polyfoams that are higher in density and resilient, but don’t have the viscous nature of memory foam.

The foam is laminated to two other layers, and works as part of a completed mattress, so the overall comfort would be dictated by all the layers working together. While this comfort combination may not be to your liking, there are others who do enjoy it, so I’d advise the same caution here about your feedback as I did in your other thread about using other’s opinions as a reliable predictor about what may be applicable for someone else in a mattress.

A tight fitting cover would be necessitated by this design to help keep the configurable system in place, especially when split.

Have you been emailing or phoning? If you’ve been waiting four weeks via email, I would contact them via their customer service at 888-813-2944 (if you haven’t already).

The Luxi is a totally different design than the BME (or almost any other mattress, for that matter), and even if you knew the exact density and ILD of every layer within their mattress, the only way to truly compare the Luxi to any other mattress would be in a side by side comparison. Even an expert manufacturer would have a difficult time in predicting how the Luxi would compare to other configurations. Ultimately, only your own personal testing will be able to determine if any product is plush enough for the specific needs you outlined in your previous thread.

Phoenix

Yes this is correct, they say it has the exact feel of latex but not to me (my opinion). Is it not encouraged to share experiences here? I am new so I do apologize if I have inadvertently stepped on toes.

As I stated my comments were as to my own experience, I think it’s fair to give feedback based on my personal experience as that is all I can comment on . My apologies if it was not clear I was stating that my experience was just that, my own experience. It was not my intention to imply there are not others who would not enjoy this feel.

I did consider that and the mattress is really packed in there, and is in fact quite hard to unzip and rezip and yet still there is a noticeable gap between the two comfort layers which creates a dip down the middle of my particular mattress. This did not happen over time but was a problem from the beginning for the particular mattress I received.

The first time was a call, I did not receive a call back so used email and chat. Each time I was assured someone would get back to me as soon as possible. I checked in weekly. Strangely after this post I did receive a call back from the company. We have yet to touch base.

Yes my comments here were based on my own personal testing. Apologies again if that was unclear. It was not my intention to hijack the thread, just sharing the reason I decided against the BME for a replacement for myself.

Hi lowbmi,

No toe-stepping, and no worries!

I do always appreciate when people share their thoughts about any mattress purchase (positive or negative) and it’s completely normal that people that have done their research here wish to share their feedback about whether their purchase was successful, but I will also often make comments about member’s feedback as well if there is the potential that others might take their content too seriously, or at least fail to realize that what is being written applies to only one person, and as in your case where they may not take the time to read up on your background and learn about your specific needs.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings, and different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science, and it’s always important to differentiate opinions from fact. Each person can also have very different criteria in choosing a mattress that is “best” for them in terms of comfort and PPP, the quality and durability of the materials, and all the other parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them so what is important or “valuable” to one person may not be as important to others.

The goal of this forum has always been to help educate and inform and to help people identify the criteria that are most important to people and to help with “how” to choose, not “what” to choose. This is also the reason that this site will never be a review site (there isn’t a section for reviews) because it will always be more focused on educating the members here with more “fact based” information than on encouraging them to repeat the same mistakes that consumers have been making for many years … which includes warning them that reading or “counting” reviews as a reliable source of research can be among the worst ways to choose a mattress.

So while I may make comments upon your comments, it’s only to clarify for those who may come across your posts in the future and not meant to be dissuasive.

Thanks for the clarification. This forum is monitored by quite a few companies, so the timing of their phone call may be a coincidence (or not :wink: ).

Phoenix