Cutting and Pasting?

Thanks to all of you experts, especially (the sainted) Phoenix for all this helpful information. I am doing the legwork to replace a truly worn out inner spring S&F with latex.

I still need to do more field testing, and do it with my husband this time, but I imagine I will be buying from one of the good value online companies listed on this site. I am attracted by the idea of split layers to have the ability to change the comfort and core layers to our liking. This, plus exchange policies that are not too painful, seems to remove much of the risk of buying online. I can’t help worrying, however, about the split layer on top. I do not want to sense the divide, I guess. I know there is at least one thread on this site about whether the split is detectable, and if you CAN feel it, does it really bother anyone. Somehow I have the idea that having at least one layer that is continuous would contribute to the mattress feeling more “together.” Maybe it doesn’t even have to be the top layer.

On to my question. If I ended up with two split layers and one continuous, and later wished they were all split, how difficult is it to cut a layer myself? I am generally good at DIY projects and somewhat perfectionistic, so if it’s doable I would probably do a good job. Conversely, and maybe more crazily, can a split layer be glued successfully so that the split can’t be felt if you are lying on it (or doing something else on it…)?

These are not burning questions, and may not turn out to be important, but someone here probably knows the answer. Thanks in advance!

Hi sagefemme,

You can read about split layers in post #2 here. While you can feel the different firmness levels on each side of the split … with a suitable quilted cover or with a solid layer on top of any split layers with a stretch cover you won’t feel the split itself.

It’s not difficult at all especially with thinner layers (around 3" or less). All you need is an electric carving knife and a straight edge for a guide and just go carefully and slowly and move the knife in one direction (not a sawing motion). There are some good instructions for cutting and gluing latex in post #3 here

While it’s not likely to be necessary, you can glue split layers back together with the right spray glue such as here or here (or it is available from any foam or fabric shop). You would need to be careful to align the layers together so all the edges are flush because latex is very “squishy” and stretchy.

Phoenix