Dacron Fire Retardant

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve come across a couple companies using fire-retardant Dacron as the fire barrier. One company has it in the form of a fiber-fill quilting layer/pad and also uses a sock of “intumescent Dacron stretch material”. I know this can be a complicated topic but any information I’ve come across seems to indicate essentially that Dacron without fire retardant is generally considered OK/safe while Dacron with fire retardant is much more controversial. My understanding is that it’s not truly “inherent” or “non-chemical” and that the fibers are basically treated with a chemical coating.

One source that fed my curiosity was Indigo Sleep. Even though it could be argued their site has some hyperbole, perhaps even to the point of fear-mongering, I think they have a point and appreciate that they’re calling out other companies in the industry that dismiss or fail to adequately address the topic when it comes to the safety/certifications of all the materials they’re using, aside from just the FRB (btw, it’s not my intent to promote them or purchase one of their mattresses). They also cite some studies done… although I wouldn’t accept these as gospel for a number of reasons, for the sake of argument, one of the bed-in-a-box companies included uses Dacron in both forms (same one referred to in my first paragraph). Assuming the results are accurate, I have to wonder if the trace “bad” chemicals (VOC’s/SVOC’s/others) were found at least in part due to the fire-retardant Dacron just underneath the cover.

I’m comfortable enough with the inherent silica and/or rayon FRB’s currently in use and have noticed recently that some have even acquired Oeko-Tex certification. However, the fire retardant Dacron sounds just as controversial as fibers treated with boric acid, so was looking for your thoughts.

Thanks,
Manimal

Hi Manimal,

There are examples of Dacron (Polyethylene terephthalate) with inherent flame retardant properties incorporated during the extrusion process. Without examples of a particular product, I couldn’t speak to more specifics. While I’m certainly a fan of knowledge about the materials within a mattress, unspecific videos without detailed results aren’t something I’d personally consider very strongly, and while they may be attempting to make a valid point, can in effect contribute more to fear-mongering when presented in such a fashion.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Irrespective of Indigo Sleep, I’m still trying to get comfortable enough with the fire-retardant Dacron. If any FRB carried an up-to-date Oeko-Tex certification, I wouldn’t have any concerns but that doesn’t seem to be the case here… and I’m glad some manufacturers are now starting to get those certifications for synthetic FRB’s and inherent yarns used in ticking material. That’s not to say the Dacron isn’t as “safe” or doesn’t have the capability of passing certification, but it is a nice reassurance. Overall, I’ve felt for a long time that it’s a subject too often “skipped over” by those on both sides of the coin (selling and buying a mattress). I know you focus on forum postings but did send a private message, just in case you missed it or didn’t see it yet.

Thanks,
Manimal

Hi Manimal,

Polyethylene terephthalate (PET - "Dacron) is manufactured in inherent and dipped FR variants for various applications. If this FR barrier is a concern for you in any particular product you’re considering, I’d suggest contacting the manufacturer directly and see if they would be willing to provide the source and type of their FR fiber for you, which could allow you to further investigate to a level that may (or may not) satisfy your personal level of “comfort”, but I don’t maintain a listing of the FR barriers used by various manufacturers.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I did end up getting some more information from the manufacturer and sent you a PM this evening. Unfortunately, the Dacron is chemically treated… just wanted to get your thoughts, especially since the manufacturer is a member of TMU.

Thanks again,
Manimal

Hi Manimal.

Thanks for the followup and sharing the information. I am sure that others will benefit from your diligence. I’ll have a look at the PMs once I have a chance to catch up on some other things I am working on.

Phoenix