Decided on Latex...now not sure on firmness

After much research and indecision (and help from this site) I have decided on a latex matress from Sleep EZ; either the 9000 or 10000. Now I am trying to decide on the firmness of the 3 layers. My wife and I have been sleeping for the last 18 years on a McRoskey inner spring mattress that has their softest matttress and firmest box spring. This has served us quite well, but has now “past it’s sell by date”. We are both side sleepers and I have very broad shoulders so the soft mattress allowed my shoulders to sink in while the firm box spring gave great support. I am concerned that the Sleep EZ recomended med/firm/extra firm will be too firm, but that the soft/med/firm combo will be too soft…I want “just right”. Does anyone have any experience or recomendations? Thanks.

Hi tmcgillivray,

It’s always best to talk with a manufacturer directly for specific suggestions about the different options and mattresses they offer. They are much more familiar with the specific details of all the materials and combinations they have available and how they work together and in combination with different body types, weights, sleeping positions, and preferences of different people and they also have a database of customers that they can use as a reference point for any of their customers who don’t already know the layering they want.

Given that you are broad shouldered side sleepers I would guess that they (and I) would suggest the 10000 over the 9000 because it has thicker comfort layers which would better accommodate side sleeping. If you are in a typical weight range they would also likely suggest (from top to bottom) S/M/F or M/F/XF if you are a little heavier which are the safest suggestions for most people unless their local testing or other circumstances indicates otherwise. The choice of which type of latex will depend on your personal preferences (blended Talalay is a little more lively and softer feeling than natural Dunlop in the same ILD). If you are outside of “average” weight ranges then they would also give you the most appropriate guidance to take this into account as well.

If these “average” suggestions turn out to need adjusting … then this is where the benefits of a layer exchange come into play. Unless you have specific experience with testing latex mattresses that indicates that these layers aren’t the most suitable for you, I would suggest going with their suggestions.

You could also choose a top layer of soft Talalay for pressure relief and then Dunlop for the middle and lower layers if extra support was a concern (Dunlop gets firmer faster than Talalay). Again … they are very good at discussing all the options available with you and I would put much more weight on the results of your conversations with them than on the experiences of any other person (who may have much different needs and preferences than you) or on any other suggestions (including mine).

The two most important parts of choosing the most suitable mattress are always your own personal testing on mattresses with known layering and the suggestions and guidance of the manufacturer of the mattress. With the layer exchange you always have the option of making adjustments if necessary at a very reasonable cost.

Phoenix