Decisions, decisions--Checking the crowd-thinking

Options from shopping today:

1. Maxx Mattress Engineered Conform- $2200ish
    I think store owner said 12 gauge pocketed coils (I’m rethinking that number), 3" 30 or 31 LDI Talalay latex. Pleasant Mattress company line; generally looks reasonable price for reasonable product, and it was our choice for comfort/alignment by some distance for the day’s sampling. 10 years warranty.
  2. Locally made (by reputable firm) latex, 34 LDI w/lighterweight latex topper. 6" core over hard foam. $4000. Forever warranty, so they say.

Dear Husband 5’ 9" 170 lbs. Me 125 lbs 5’ 2". Generally light sleepers. The “sway” moment from the pure latex was noticeable compared to the hybrid, but not a deal breaker.

Thoughts? We are coming from a 20 year old memory foam hybrid that’s sagging some in the middle and has broken down. While we were okay with lots of the mattresses we tested, we really much preferred a fairly soft comfort layer. TempurPedic is and always has been too warm. The very nice Stearns & Foster hybrid just wasn’t quite right . . . nor their “natural” line. While I know that doing physical testing isn’t going to actually do the trick, we had to figure out where to start and we really did find significant differences. Didn’t like the 100% latex presented in one store–very chilly, whereas another’s was one of our top choices.

Any input is welcome. We have read & done our homework, so think we are on the right track. We think.

Hi GrumpyOldPerson

Sounds like you are ‘zeroing in’ on a good comfortable mattress you and your husband will both enjoy - good job so far!

1. Maxx Mattress Engineered Conform- $2200ish
    I think store owner said 12 gauge pocketed coils (I’m rethinking that number), 3" 30 or 31 LDI Talalay latex. Pleasant Mattress company line; generally looks reasonable price for reasonable product, and it was our choice for comfort/alignment by some distance for the day’s sampling. 10 years warranty.
  2. Locally made (by reputable firm) latex, 34 LDI w/lighterweight latex topper.6" core over hard foam. $4000. Forever warranty,

The Maxx mattress is a latex hybrid; a 3" 30 ILD would be considered medium firm. 12 gauge innersprings are fine and should provide adequate support for your husbands slightly higher BMI. The other local mattress you mention is a firmer ILD of 36 latex, and a 6" HD foam base for support. Keep in mind that memory foam can prematurely wear leaving ‘ridges’ or ‘divots’ if an excess of inexpensive low density foam is used. We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

Thoughts? We are coming from a 20 year old memory foam hybrid that’s sagging some in the middle and has broken down. While we were okay with lots of the mattresses we tested, we really much preferred a fairly soft comfort layer. TempurPedic is and always has been too warm. The very nice Stearns & Foster hybrid just wasn’t quite right . . . nor their “natural” line. While I know that doing physical testing isn’t going to actually do the trick, we had to figure out where to start and we really did find significant differences. Didn’t like the 100% latex presented in one store–very chilly, whereas another’s was one of our top choices

For Latex, you should also keep in mind Talalay has a very different feel from Dunlop; it’s ‘bouncier’ (like angel food cake compared to pound cake). Latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress. Some sleepers find memory foam sleeps ‘hot’ - while latex is a much more breathable material.

You said you liked a softer comfort layer in your old mattress - you may want to try out some softer ILD latex in person to see how they feel. The other thing you need to decide between is a solid foam support layer vs innersprings.This comes down to which you both feel comfortable on. Since the Tempurpedic was ‘too warm’ you might prefer the latex hybrid, or a latex topper for whichever mattress you choose. Unfortunately, no one can tell you which mattress may work best for you and your husband, as any mattress will be unique to the two of you based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences). Keep the Mattress Specifications You Need to Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines in mind, and with a little more consideration and research, you should be able to find a great new replacement mattress, giving you both many years of comfortable sleep!

~ Basilio