Decisions decisions

Great informational site, Pheonix!

I am replacing my old sagging mattress and have narrowed down to the following choices:

1. SleepEZ 10 S/M/F, S/M/F - 1895.00 + free shipping
  2. Dreamfoam Bedding Total latex - 1799 (10% off) 1619.00 + free shipping

Dreamfoam has a 10% sale going on, so that will be little bit cheaper. But their comfort layer is single unit, so, that means I can’t customize without changing my wife’s preference. Also, they offer bamboo cover for the mattress.

SleepEZ looks very customize-able. I can flip the 3 layers to my preference. I am concerned that the gap between the two latex will create noticeable crevices. Also, how easy or difficult it is re-package and ship the latex, in case, I need to change a layer?

I have slept on memory foam in the past, though, I like the sink-in feeling but can’t tolerate the heat. Also, slow response of the mattress makes it difficult to adjust in the night. Based on what I have read on this forum, I think talalay suits better than dunlop for me. I am a stomach/side sleeper. My wife sleeps on her side. I am 5’11 170#, wife 5’5 125#.

I know you can not make the decision for us but would love to hear your thoughts between the 2 choices. And, if you think, anything else is better, please feel free to share.

Thanks!

abgo80,

The closest SleepEZ comparison to the Dreamfoam Total Latex mattress would be the Natural Select Sleep 10000 Latex Mattress which has a lower price than you mentioned. It gives you a choice between 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay in 4 different firmness levels for each layer while the Dreamfoam Total Latex mattress gives you a choice between 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay in the base layer and a choice of many different firmness levels for the blended Talalay comfort layer.

There is more about some of the pros and cons of each of them in post #2 here.

It’s very simple. You can just roll up the layer you are exchanging and put it in the box that was used to ship the replacement layer and ship it back.

As you mentioned latex and memory foam are completely different materials with very different properties but the choice between them is a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. Some people prefer the “feel” and performance of latex and some people prefer memory foam. There is more about some of the general differences between them in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful test or your own personal experience.

Any type of latex (either Dunlop or Talalay and made with synthetic rubber, natural rubber, or a blend of both) is a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam and the choice between them would also be more of a preference and a budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but once again the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Both Dreamfoam and SleepEZ are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency so either one of them would certainly make a suitable and durable choice.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else (including me) would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix