Denver Mattress Athlete’s Choice, Casper Wave Hybrid Snow, or Sleep On Latex?

I have been on the hunt for a mattress for a couple of weeks. These are the 3 options I have been between as of recent. For more info, my SO and I are generally side or back sleepers, but the more flexible the better, as I tend to end up on my stomach as well. I’m 6’1, 160lbs and my gf is 5’6, 150lbs. I generally sleep hot, and so I’ve primarily tried to stay away from foam mattress and more toward hybrid or latex.

Below are the mattresses I’m currently looking at, any experiences using these would be very beneficial toward my decision.

The last one is the regular queen size Sleep On Latex - Medium. However, I can only post two links as I am a new member.

I’d stay away from the Casper. Pretty expensive and way too many negative reviews. The Denver is plush and may not offer enough support. The SOL medium is fairly firm, but they are in the process of softening it up a bit. Great customer service, if you call they may be able to tell you if the new or old configuration is shipping. If what you get is too firm you can get a topper to soften it up.

Hi aeostro, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Any mattress you finally choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (posture&alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You may want to also take a look at the the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know compared to the Mattress Durability Guidelinesto see how certain materials will last over time.

When assessing mattresses for specific sleepers, it’s important to know the specifications of the components see how they will properly provide support and how long the mattress will last…unfortunately, many of the ‘big brands’ are less than transparent on the densities and materials used, making it difficult to make any assessment; and the ‘bed in a box’ brands have the added issue of being highly compressed, and may sit in a warehouse for long periods of time, which can affect the structural integrity of the mattress.

It’s best to first determine what type or types of mattress you are considering to get an idea of what you prefer; memory foam? Polyfoam? Latex? Hybrid? These all have different ‘feels’ and offer varying support and comfort for sleepers, so it’s a god idea to rule out any you both don’t feel comfortable on.

As for the mattresses you listed: the Denver Mattress Athletes choice is both a bed-in-a-box, which is convenient for shipping but as I said may be affected by long term compression…as well as being totally opaque with their materials, stating only ‘cooling ice fabric’ and ‘copper infused foam’. There is no detail on density or type of foams used, other components, or layer thickness. For the price there are too many red flags for me personally,
unless those details were provided.

The Casper Wave Hybrid Snow is a 13" mattress with the same issues: listed are Snow technology, Heat delete bands, cooling gel, Quick cool cover, Alignfoam support, Gelpods, Airscape layers, Cooling gel, Caper Signature foam and Latex…again, compressed in a box for unknown amounts of time…the latex layer is likely fine, but no thickness but so many layers of polyfoam and gel foam with proprietarily names and no density or thickness makes it impossible to assess either suitability or durability.

The SleepOnLatex, however, is a known quantity; as a Latex mattress with organic cotton stand wool cover, this is a good quality mattress, though the feel of an all-latex mattress is VERY different from the foam hybrids on your list. If you haven’t, you may want to do some in person testing of various mattress types to make a ‘short list’ of what you prefer…then you can consider what brands may fit your criteria based on Stats, PPP, price, etc. As you are both lower-BMI sleepers you have more choice in mattresses.

You also might want to take a look at the offerings of the Trusted Members of the site as they carry a variety of mattress types at different price points; these are all vetted for quality, transparency in materials and construction and have great customer service and generous return and exchange policies.

If you are looking at any other specific mattress models, we may be able to comment on their suitability and durability for your body profile. I wish you success on your mattress search!