Difference between LP QE and QE Elite springs?

Need a new mattress will be going latex hybrid, trying to decide which LP coil system to go with. Originally was going to go with the combi unit 1130 coil count for the Queen, thinking it was the best since it was the most expensive and had most coils…since actually researching it on here sounds like I may be better suited for the Bolsa springs, without the lumbar support. I am 6’ 180 lbs. and my wife is 5’4" 120 lbs. we both are combo sleepers but predominantly side.

I saw there are a few set ups that feature the Bolsa springs and the two I am looking at are the Quantum Edge Elite and the Quantum Edge, I can’t tell any difference aside from spring count? QE ELite is 1057 v. 789 for the non elite?

Hi pcmulligan.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

And happy new year!

According to the LP page the Quantum Edge uses Caliber Edge® springs at the head and foot whereas I saw no mention of that in the Quantum Edge elite description. The Quantum Edge Elite has “Dynamic edge support with consistent performance” and the Quantum Edge “improves perimeter performance with a more supportive edge.”

Hope this helps some :slight_smile:
NikkiTMU

pcmulligan:

The Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge uses the smaller diameter and different geometry Quantum Springs along the left and right side of the innerspring unit. At the head and the foot of the innerspring unit, they use their Caliber coils for extra reinforcement (sort of a different geometry Bolsa spring).

The Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge Elite uses the Quantum Springs around the entire perimeter of the innerspring unit.

There can be variations in the gauge of steel in each of these units, based upon customer specifications, as well as differences in the arrangement of the interior Bolsa springs.

In the overall hierarchy of things, while both of these innerspring units can offer good support, the Quantum Edge Elite would be a bit more expensive and generally represented as a “step up” from the Quantum Edge.

Great info as always Jeff. Any suggestions on when it makes sense to use a design with a standard spring layout in the sleeping areas (such as with the Bolsa) versus one that has a beefed up center section (such as with the Combi-Zone)? I know I had trouble making the Combi-Zone work for me (caused bowing in my midsection, poor alignment) but maybe I was just too heavy (250lbs) or curvy (athletic build) for this type of design. I’d be curious if you had any insights on who this would work best for in your experience (BMIs, weights, body types, etc).

Mattrebuild:

Zoning for a higher spring unit ILD in the middle side to side can be useful for someone who has a higher mass concentration in that area, or for someone who has specific alignment needs and doesn’t want as much deflection to match their needs and sleeping style. Of course, this is all in combination with the comfort material placed upon the spring unit, as the mattress works as a complete unit and people aren’t sleeping solely upon the spring unit. Someone with a very high concentration of mass in the abdominal area might benefit from such a unit, as might someone who carries a large amount of mass from the shoulders to the pelvic region, with a smaller difference between shoulder/waist/hip dimensions (“stocky” of “H-type” shape). Those with wider hips and a narrow waist, especially those who are lighter, might not find such a design as necessary (“A-type”). Also, if a manufacturer is creating a higher-end mattress using more softer materials on top, they may choose to offer an innerspring unit with increased support capacities where people commonly carry most of their mass. Ultimately it’s a combination of all of the materials present within the mattress, and the subjective evaluation of the individual testing the product in their preferred sleeping position, and that individual’s specific needs, health conditions and sensitivities. I’m not aware of any hard and fast guidance for specific body types, BMIs or weights for zoning vs. non-zoning (such advice would be quite broad), but I’m sure that the innerspring engineers at places such as HSM, Spinks, or Leggett have their own closely-held guidance on this based upon their testing that they probably share with mattress designers.