Difference between Nectar mattress models.

My apologies if I picked the wrong section, I wasn’t sure where to go.

Hi, I recently purchased a Nectar mattress and I ended up receiving two of them. I opened them both up and I noticed that they were a little bit different. One was firmer and the other was a lot softer. I contacted Nectar support and they told me that any mattress produced from August 2018 onwards was their new model (it was the soft one). I slept a couple of weeks on both of them and I like them equally and I don’t know which to keep. Anyone have anymore details about this? The older model is much firmer and doesn’t that mean it will last longer? Softer mattresses usually sag quicker. But now I am also thinking that maybe the older model starts to sag over time since they changed it?

I removed the covers on both mattresses and seek they both have memory foam and a blue layer. The firmer mattress has it nearly at the middle and the softer one has it closer to the top of the mattress. Nearly at the Centre between the top and middle of mattress.

If anyone has any tips and could help me pick which mattress to keep I would gladly appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi there! You posted in our section “natural fibers & materials”. We don’t work with poly foams, so hoping an admin can move this post to a more appropriate forum section that will assist you better. Good luck!

Hi Robbysmith4493.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: and thanks for your email. I somehow skipped over it focusing on our newer TMU members setting up. (I will be shortly moving your post from CozyPure dedicated forum as their area of expertise is on latex, organic, and safe materials)

The (11") Nectar Sleep specs (as confirmed from different sources and chat sessions) are:

1" (14 ILD) Quilted Cover (Tencel/polyester cotton)
1" of 4lbs. (15 ILD) semi-open Lush Foam™
3" of 3 - 3.5 lbs. (45 ILD) Transition Layer
6" of 2.2 (45 ILD) HD Polyfoam

They don’t list the thickness of the quilted gel memory foam panel or the density of that material but being in the top inch or so of the mattress it would not be a weak link, the top 1" of 4lbs lush Memory Foam is good for normal BMI ranges, but I’d be a little concerned with the 3" inches of 3 - 3.5 lbs transition foam as this is not low enough into the mattress and is still subject to high mechanical stress and compression forces.
The product is assembled in the USA of components sourced from China and the US, but they do not specify where each layer is sourced so I’d have some concerns about the foams being lower quality and for compressed for a lengthy period of time. There is an interesting Nectar response here about where their foams are sourced. They are listed for having a CertiPUR-US certification but I am not sure if all foams in the mattress have the certification especially as they seem to change sources. You can read a bit more about Chinese foams here. In general, when assessing any product, be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.
All in all, this is a lower budget and well-marketed mattress.

If I were to choose between the two versions I would choose the firmer one and add a Latex topper for more comfort if needed. This should allow you to stay within a lower budget and possibly not have to deal with the hassle of researching to find another mattress and keep in mind that while I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the mattress shopping tutoriall) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here )

Hopefully, the information in this reply will help but if you are stuck with any of the steps in the tutorial or have any other questions, I can help with then you are certainly welcome to post them on the forum.

Phoenix