Dixiefoam DreamBed Deluxe - some advice please - bed, then platform

Hi redgirl,

I would pay much more attention to careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post than I would to ILD numbers or other “comfort specs”. Having said that … ILD is just a measure for the firmness/softness of a foam. Their Dreambed Deluxe has two layers of foam. One is the top 2.25 inches of supersoft foam which I believe is the same in both models and the other is the support core. In the superfirm the support core would be firmer and more “supportive” and with a 2.25" top layer you would be able to feel the additional firmness “through” the comfort layer so the mattress would “feel” a little firmer as well. I would ask them when they will have the firmer version available to try so you can feel the difference for yourself rather than going by numbers that may have little meaning to you.

You can see the criteria that I would use for the quality of the materials in a mattress in post #4 here. If the foam is made in the US (or is CertiPur certified if it’s not) then by most people’s standards it would be “safe enough” in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s unless you wished to avoid polyfoam completely in all your furniture. I would also make sure you find out the density of all the layers in any mattress you are considering so you can confirm that there are no weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. I don’t know for certain but I believe that the Dreambed Deluxe uses 2.8 lb HR polyfoam (at least in the base layer) which is a very high quality and durable material. Again though I would always make sure you have confirmed the quality/density of all the materials in any mattress you are considering though so you can make meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

There are no standard firmness ratings between manufacturers so a mattress that is rated as “medium firm” with one manufacturer may be “medium” or “firm” with the next. Firmness is also very subjective so what feels too soft for one person can feel firm for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences and sensitivity. The only way to know how firm or soft a mattress feels for you would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience. If you can test a mattress in person then of course you will know how firm it feels for you but if you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer can give you some guidance about how firm their mattress may feel for different people (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). In the end though … when when you can’t test a mattress in person then the exchange or return policy may become a more important part of the value of a purchase just in case your sleeping experience indicates that the mattress isn’t as ideal a “match” as you hoped for. I doubt that you would come across anyone that has tried both of them in a side by side test in real time which would really be the only way to compare them and even then someone else’s perceptions of how they compare may be different from your own.

The Tuft & Needle uses 1.8 - 2.0 lb polyfoam (NOTE ADDED: you can see the updated specs for their new version in posts #2 and #6 here) which is also a good quality material but assuming that you confirm the density of the materials in the Dreambed Deluxe is 2.8 lb then it wouldn’t be in the same quality/durability range as the Dreambed … but of course it’s also less costly. The Tuft & Needle is basically an “all or nothing” choice and it will either work well for you in real life or it won’t in which case they have a very good refund and return policy so there would be little risk (outside of starting all over again).

A forum search on Dreambed (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about it and a forum search on Tuft Needle (you can just click this as well) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Both of these mattresses are polyfoam mattresses so a firm non flexing slatted surface that has gaps between the slats in the range of about 3" would be a good idea (a little wider would also be "OK). While the forum here is focused on mattresses rather than beds or other furniture choices … there are a few suggestions for platform beds in the foundation post here that may be helpful.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that may be helpful in post #13 here and when you are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” (which you are) then post #2 here may also be helpful with making your final choice.

Both of the mattresses you are considering would be good quality/value choices.

Phoenix