DIY 10" split queen latex mattress recommendation

Hi,

New member here looking for some help with a DIY mattress recommendation. Was going to get a Zenhaven but decided that I could build something better and cheaper myself.

Looking for a 10" queen sized all latex mattress. Currently sleeping on a similar sized latex mattress which was heavenly when we first bought it almost 12 years ago. Since then, put on some weight and developed some right sided back pain which wakes me up in the AM. Wife has not have any complaints with her side. Can’t remember what the mattress we bought was but it was all latex and has generally served us well. It has been sleeping a little warm for me so although we had considered a Tempurpedic, afraid that the memory foam would not be a good fit.

Stats:

Her, 5’3", 120 lbs, back/side sleeper
Me, 5’9", 220 lbs, start off on my back, wind up on my side, right back pain, use a CPAP for my OSA

Thinking about the following build and was hoping to get some feedback.

Top layer: 3" Talalay, 1/2 soft (her), 1/2 medium (me)
Middle layer: 3" Dunlop, 1/2 medium (her), 1/2 medium (me)
Bottom layer: 3" Dunlop, 1/2 firm (her), 1/2 firm (me)

Was thinking that splitting all layers would allow us maximum flexibility to swap out/customize layers if a layer doesn’t work.

Was looking at LMF or Sleep EZ we can split each layer. LMF is cheaper than Sleep EZ by $700 for the above configuration so leaning towards LMF at that price point.

1. Does this seem like a reasonable build? Just wanted to make sure that I don’t need to consider a 12" mattress at my BMI
  2. Any recommendations for a reliable adjustable base? I do like the idea of elevating the feet at the end of a long day. My wife is really pushing for this but I can’t seem to find which are the best adjustable bases as there are so many options to choose from. The major features we are are looking for are presets, programmable settings and zero gravity features. The massage features are much less important.
  3. I am a little concerned about the 30 day return policy at LMF. I would hate to be stuck with something that doesn’t work for us after 30 days but not sure that at the $700 difference, it is worth having the full 20 year warranty, 90 day return / exchange layer option.

Thanks for your help!

Hi technochino and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Looking for a 10" queen sized all latex mattress. Currently sleeping on a similar sized latex mattress which was heavenly when we first bought it almost 12 years ago. Since then, put on some weight and developed some right sided back pain which wakes me up in the AM. Wife has not have any complaints with her side.
Her, 5’3", 120 lbs, back/side sleeper
Me, 5’9", 220 lbs, start off on my back, wind up on my side, right back pain, use a CPAP for my OSA. Thinking about the following build and was hoping to get some feedback.

Top layer: 3" Talalay, 1/2 soft (her), 1/2 medium (me)
Middle layer: 3" Dunlop, 1/2 medium (her), 1/2 medium (me)
Bottom layer: 3" Dunlop, 1/2 firm (her), 1/2 firm (me)

Sorry to hear your old mattress is no longer comfortable for you both. As you may know, any mattress you choose will be vases don your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences. A DIY latex mattress can be fantastic for customizing comfort layers, if you are willing to put in the time and energy to switch layers around to get the perfect comfort and support levels. If you are splitting the layers, you can zero in even further…as you can see comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress, and should last you for many years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Talalay and Dunlop latex have very different ‘feels’ - Talalay is considered ‘bouncier’ - the difference can be thought of as the difference between angel food cake and pound cake. You and your partner may prefer one over the other.

As for your questions: the build looks to be subjectively fine; you have a higher BMI but the
medium/medium/firm on your side should. provide enough support for you - make sure your alignment is good: if you are laying on your side, your profile should look the same as if you were viewed from behind when standing.

Was thinking that splitting all layers would allow us maximum flexibility to swap out/customize layers if a layer doesn’t work.

Was looking at LMF or Sleep EZ we can split each layer. LMF is cheaper than Sleep EZ by $700 for the above configuration so leaning towards LMF at that price point.

Both LMF and SleepEZ are Trusted Members of the site and offer quality components and excellent customer service. To keep costs down, LMF does allow one layer exchange within 30 days on DIY products (unlike their 100 night sleep trial for prebuilt mattresses), though they have a very low exchange rate; they are proficient in assisting consumers in finding the right components, so it becomes a matter of rearranging layers to dial in the comfort settings instead of needing to exchange layers.

Trusted Member Mattress To Go has a variety of Leggett & Platt adjustable beds, and Richmond Bedding carries Reverie adjustable beds, both of which are very popular and have models from the basics to fully app controlled, with multiple articulation points, lights, and other bells and whistles. I would make sure to follow the recommended bed bases for your latex layers just to ensure you don’t void any warranty in case you need to take advantage of it.

All in all it sounds like you have a good plan in
mind…with a bit more consideration your build can be ideally comfortable for you both for many years!

~ Basilio

Looks like is its worth ordering from SleepEZ for the 90 days even if its $700 more.

But do what you want!

John