DIY advice:add latex support layer?

Hi Latex Mattress Factory. I am considering buying a latex component from you to add to a DIY project. I am already utilizing several components that I already have to build my own customizable mattress, and I was looking for some advice on what i could add to make things better.

About me: male, 175 lbs, side and back combo sleeper. Priority for me is pressure relief, since I seem to sleep deepest if I have it.

Components I already have: (A) 6 inch pocketed coil springs (from a bed that I was going to return but they told me just to throw it away…)
(B) 2 inches of foam (maybe memory?) connected with .5 of poly foam (from the same mattress mentioned above that they told me to throw away)
(C)2 inch 4 lb quality memory foam that I purchased from a local , quality retailer in PA
(D) 1 inch of 19ild comfort layer poly foam from same retailer (this has not arrived yet)
(E) 2 inch of low quality memory foam topper that I bought from Puffy

I tried sleeping with the combination of ABC, with C on top of B, and it feels a little too firm for me. I didn’t feel much pressure relief, and woke up 5-6 times, once with pain in my shoulder from side sleeping. It surprised me, because with that combination I had about 4.5 inches of foam underneath me. I tried adding component E to the combination that I had above , but then I felt like I was just sinking (that would have been a total of 6 inch foam, so it makes sense that I sunk)

I was thinking that maybe a medium firm 2 inch talalay topper (or dunlop, which would save me some money) above the pocketed coil might help relieve some of the pressure and also prevent me from interacting with the firmer support layer of pocked coils. However, I am always a little hesitant about adding something with “medium” firmness due to my need for pressure relief.

I would also be open to any other configurations that might work, if you want to suggest anything.

I also realize that it may take some time and several adjustments to get it right.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Hello

Thank you for reaching out. The most popular Hybrid configurations that have worked for our customers who weigh at or near what you weigh is either a Soft (19-20ILD) 3" Talalay or a Medium (30-32ILD) 3" Talalay over the pocketed coils. For those that prefer a more plush/soft feel on top will go with the Soft. For those that prefer a semi-plush but supportive feel on top will go with the Medium.
The height of the latex layer you choose should depend not only how soft or firm you would like the surface of your mattress to be (the thicker the layer, the more plush it will feel), but also what the gauge of the coils are underneath. If your coils are a lower (stronger) gauge, then you may want to choose the 3" latex layer to alleviate any ‘bottoming out’ feel that can happen if the coils are very supportive. If the coils are higher (less supportive) gauge that allows for more contour, then a 2" layer of latex maybe all that is needed.
Please don’t hesitate to call our office anytime should you have additional questions. Thanks again, have a great weekend!

Latex Mattress Factory
1-800-637-0872

Thanks for your post, it was very helpful. I went with your medium (28ild) 2 inch talalay topper.

Hello Latex Mattress Factory. I found some specs on the coils that I have and I was wondering if you could comment on if you consider this to be very supportive (firm) coil system :

650 coils… 13.75 gauge (6 inches high)

If the 2 inches of medium talalay + 2inches of memory foam that I plan to put over these coils ends up being too firm, would you recommend changing to the 8 inch legel+platt coils that you sell , or instead just adding another layer of latex to help the transition to the coils?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hello najc33

Thanks again for reaching out. Coils with a gauge of 13.75 would be considered very supportive. Our 16 gauge coils are considered a ‘medium’ overall feel, therefore a gauge of 13.75 would be considered between a firm and an extra firm feel. If you decide to use these coils as your base, I recommend two gradual foam densities on top. For example, for a side and/or back sleeper at your weight (175lbs), we would normally recommend a soft (19-20ILD) layer on top for contour and pressure relief, then a medium (30-32) transition layer in the middle. Based on the components you currently have, I suggest using the softest layer in your possession (be it your memory foam layer or your standard foam layer) as your top contour layer, then your 2" medium Talalay layer underneath as your ‘transition’ layer. If that setup feels too soft, then try flipping them so that your medium Talalay layer is on top. This will add a bit more support on the surface.

Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime! You can call our office as well. We are available 7 days a week from 10am to 6pm MST. Have a great weekend!

Latex Mattress Factory
1-800-637-0872

I have a similar question. I have slept on an all latex mattress for the past four years (3" firm talalay, 3" medium talalay, 3" soft talalay, 2" extra soft talalay). I began to find that the mattress would make my spouse and I hot at night, and we were both having problems with shoulder pain and our hands falling asleep. I ordered the Quantum Elite coils and am in the process of rebuilding the mattress. The coils have definitely helped cool our sleeping and we no longer spend the night throwing off and putting covers back on. I have tried about 8 different configs but so far none of them have been exactly what I am looking for in comformt. The closest I’ve come is what we currently have it at 1" firm talalay, 8" coils, 3" firm talalay, 3" soft talalay all covered with an organic/wool cover (1"). We have tried the soft and medium layers above the coils but they caused us back pain and we could feel the coils when lying on our sides. Placing the 3" firm layer has definitely helped. Now to my question–we both love a plush feeling mattress but must have the support for our backs (we’re in the senior citizen category). I am 5’4"/160lbs side sleeper, my spouse is 5’10"/190lbs side and back sleeper. Will the 3" soft layer or the 2" extra soft layer over the firm layer give us the plushest feel without causing pain at our pressure points (shoulders, hips and knees)?

Thanks.

Hi michtx and thanks for reaching out! I definitely recommend the 3" soft over the firm layer. At your heights and weights you would likely sink right through the 2" super soft and feel the Dunlop more. Also, super soft layers just don’t tend to last very long. If you try the 3" soft over 3" of firm and it’s still too firm, then you might want to consider having the wool cover altered to hold only the firm Dunlop, coils, and 1" Dunlop? At that point, the 3" Talalay layer would go on top like a topper. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general. Aside from that, most toppers have our organic cotton topper cover, which is a thin, stretchy cover instead of the cotton & wool cover that’s on our mattress. As far as the cotton & wool cover goes, please keep in mind that anything you have between yourself and the latex affects the way you contour into the latex, making for a much firmer feel. So having a topper on top of the mattress makes for an even more plush and enveloping feel, not just because it’s not being restricted by the mattress cover, but also because you no longer have an inch of wool impeding how much you contour into the top layer of latex. So it’s a great way to get extra plushness and pressure relief without losing any back support.

Thank you so much for taking the time to send me such a detailed and informative answer. It definitely answered my question about the 2" extra soft layer and has given me some more options to try.

I have a similar question:

question about which one of your latex layers to consider:

I have 4 inches to work with for transitional and comfort layer over a very firm and supportive inner spring mattress (which has minimal comfort layer of its own). 4 inches is because I’m matching the height of my wife’s Twin XL bed next to mine.
I like memory foam as a top layer, but 4 inches of memory foam is too soft, despite trying different ones, and I sink in too much with 4 inches. So, I was thinking of keeping 2 inches of memory foam on top, and then getting one of your 2 inch latex toppers under the memory foam as sort of a transitional layer that would provide some support, being firmer and more supportive than memory foam. So maybe a higher ILD around 36 or so? what would you have available in 2 inch that may work? thanks![/u]

Hello Bostonsnow

Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry. Choosing a density for your transition layer depends primarily on how much you weigh. For example, we recommend a medium (30-32ILD) transition layer for most folks that weigh less than 220lbs. If your 2" memory foam layer on top is on the softer side, and provides plenty of pressure relief, then you are going to want a transition layer that isn’t equally as soft, nor do you want one that is too firm. We offer a 30-day one-time layer exchange policy for all layer purchases. This will allow you to make a change should you feel as though you chose the wrong density.

Please don’t hesitate to call our office anytime should you have additional questions. Thanks again, have a great day!

Latex Mattress Factory
1-800-637-0872

thanks. yes, I’m light - 130 pounds. So maybe 2 inch medium firmness and Talalay rather than Dunlop, might make the best transitional layer?

Bostonsnow

I would agree that a 2" medium layer is ideal for your transition layer. The Talalay will provide you with more contour and pressure relief compared to a 2" Dunlop layer, which will offer a bit more support. I do think either type of latex will work just fine for you at your respective weight.

Thanks again!

Your advice was spot on. My bed feels absolutely amazing!! Thank you so much. It took a couple of nights to get used to the movement of the hybrid vs the all latex, but the mattress is incredibly cool and comfortable at night.

Oh good! That is absolutely excellent news, and thanks for the update!

Great to hear about Michtx’s success!

I got the 8 inch coils that I purchased for you, and I am happy to say that they are much, much softer and better for me than the previous, 6 inch 13.75 gauge coil system I was trying to use previously. The last few nights, I’ve slept mostly well with the 8 inch quantum edge coils, 2 inch 28 ild latex, 2 inch memory foam over that , and then a wool pad to protect from the memory foam’s heat. Overall, I am pretty happy. The only thing I would say it’s perhaps just a tiny bit too soft. It’s so close to being just right, though! I may end up keeping it like this, because it’s hard to argue with sleeping through the night 8 hours straight.

If I try to fix this extra softness, I would say it’s probably the memory foam that’s too soft and causing just that touch of extra sink that could be mitigated. O.k., finally, to my question: Would you recommend going with 2 inches of soft talalay to go over the 2 inches of medium, or would a 3 inch soft layer directly over the coils be the better option? Are there advantages/ disadvantages to using one or the other of these two options?

Thanks for your continued help with this project. I’ve been recommending your company on here and on reddit due to your high quality customer service.

PD. I also wanted to mention that I did try putting the 2 inch 28 ild over the 2 inch memory foam, and that did not feel right to me. There was too much surface level firmness.

Hello again najc33! I’d normally recommend 2" of soft Talalay to go over the 28 ILD layer you have now. Mainly because it’ll offer some long-term adjustability, if needed, and it would save you from having to return / exchange the 2" layer. Aside from that, having 4" of latex between you and the coils will help ensure you don’t bottom out and end up feeling the coils. It might not be necessary right now, but as the latex softens in 8-10 years it might delay having to buy a replacement layer too soon.

Oh I almost forgot, thank you so much for spreading the word about Latex Mattress Factory!!

No problem, it’s an earnest recommendation. It’s great to see the time taken with the in-depth replies you’ve given here, and communication around shipping has been excellent. I left a review on google as well.

Regarding your last comment to me specifically: my only concern is that the 4 inches (two over two ) would feel too soft and unsupportive (that is the case with my current configuration with the 2 inch memory foam over the 2 inch 28 ild talalay, over the coils) in comparison to 3 inches total which would presumably give pressure relief while the coils provided the support.

Thanks again and take care.

Right, and the tough part for me is that I have no way of gauging how much firmer the soft Talalay layer will feel compared to the memory foam topper you have now. Would you like us to send you latex samples so you can make a more informed decision on this?